Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Why won't my Maxxis Ardent 2.25 on Flows seat?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve tried everything. I can’t get it to seat from the off. I’ve put both beads on and pumped like mad but it just won’t inflate.

The yellow tape and valves were installed by my LBS so I know they are correct but the tyre just won’t inflate.

I’ve used washing up liquid neat and with water.

Does it matter if it’s a dual or single ply tyre?

Help lol please

geetee1972
    Free Member

Dual or single ply isn’t the issue. Couple of points, have you tired:

Neat washing up liquid pasted liberally, and I mean liberally, like with a paint brush so that the interface is absolutely coated in the stuff.

Doing this and then using a CO2 cannister? Even if the tyre doesn’t stay inflated after use, the CO2 helps to get the bead seated.

ANd if they don’t work:

Pumping up with an innertube in first, leaving for a few hours and then repeating the above steps.

br
    Free Member

IME Some tyre/rim combinations just don’t work, even with every trick in the book (and a compressor).

I’d second the c02, but tbh I went and bought a compressor instead.

geetee1972
    Free Member

BR what did you end up buying? I tried a 12v Halfords one and it wasn’t powerful enough to make a difference.

Maxxis tyres are usually pretty good with Flows. The other thing to think about is whether you would get a better seat with the rim strips rather than just the tape.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well I’ve truly messed up now thanks to the useless track pump I bought today. It’s one of those double head things (shuts one off and let’s air through the other) and whilst trying to get it off the valve I pulled the valve through the rim hole.

Please please tell me I’ve not just broken 100 quids worth of new front wheel?!

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a bin job. I’ll give you a fiver for it 😉

Sure it’ll be fine. Just reinstall the valve.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The valve seal bit is stuck between the inner and outer bit. It’s pulled the rubber seal through the valve hole.

Stupid track pump just wouldnt grab without the valve core in.

clubber
    Free Member

Worst case, the valves don’t cost much. You’ll just have to pull it right through.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I just don’t want to damage the rim that’s all.

Think I best order a new valve and get the LBS to set up the tubeless for mr.

The Pedro’s track pump won’t recognise the valve with the valve core removed. Think it’s because if the dual action. It just pumps air through the Schrader valve instead.

Cheers though everyone

MrSmith
    Free Member

you don’t need to remove the core.
    fit tube
    inflate
    remove tube
    leave one side’s bead on
    fit valve
    pull the sidewall between thumb and forefinger so the unseated bead is close to the rim and not sitting in the middle of the rim, before you get all the way round the rim add the sealant and gently pull the bead close to the hook the rest of the way (or fill through the removed valve core).

pulling the valve through will not damage the rim. digging the rubber grommet out with a small screwdriver doesn’t do any harm either 🙂
    pump up tyre.
    if it doesn’t work gently rotate the wheel so valve is at 12’clock and pull the sidewall across so there are no big gaps near the valve.
    not had any problems with this method on flow’s

clubber
    Free Member

Why would you pump it with the core removed?

Sounds to me like you’re doing the pump lock lever the wrong way.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Because when I asked on here with the thread below the other day people told me to remove the core to allow more airflow in.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stans-flow-rims-and-maxxis-tubeless-help

I could well be doing it the wrong way. It just says it automatically shuts off the one not being used.

M6TTF
    Free Member

The only problem I encountered with a stans arch rim was getting the tyre seated where the valve was – ended up trimming the shoulders of the rubber base slightly and it inflated first time.

goodgrief
    Free Member

i tried this combo as my first go at tubeless but with a flow rimstrip, not yellow tape.
    it didn’t want to inflate at first and pissed out some sealant but i kinda applied some hand pressure to the tyre whilst pumping where it was leaking the most. this got it going enough to inflate.

nickegg
    Free Member

Well my Flow/Ardent LUST combo went up with a track pump….in less effort than with ‘proper’ UST rims IME.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My Ardents are just standard tyres not LUST.

I think if I ever get the valve out I’ll try leaving the tyre pumped up over night with an innertube.

If that doesn’t work then I’ll have to get help from the LBS.

Oh well glad I gave it a try.

Thanks everyone

matthew_h
    Free Member

Mosey, I think I’m right in thinking you got the wheels from us (18 Bikes). If so then feel free to drop them by and I’ll show you how to do it all.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi Matt, yeah I did. Thanks for all the help so far. Hopefully you can get the valve out for me lol.

I e-mailed the info@ address so can you just ignore it tomorrow.

I just don’t think I could get a proper seal with the track pump. I’ll bring it and show you what I mean.

Thanks again mate

matthew_h
    Free Member

Cool, I’m in Mon, Tues, Fri and Sat this coming week so if you can get down one of them then that would be best

dyls

It must be an issue with the non tubeless tyres as my ardents ust’s went straight up with a trackpump on my flow rims. You only remove the valve core to put in some sealant. IF the rubber bit is stuck, try an prise it out with a thin screwdriver and install a new olympic valve.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Matt I’ll try head over Monday or Tuesday.

I’ve feel like I’ve blown up a bouncy castle today the amount of pumping I was doing.

marc
    Free Member

I’d second the c02, but tbh I went and bought a compressor instead.

br, how big/powerful a compressor did you get?

scaredypants

My Ardents are just standard tyres not LUST.

UST tyres have a wider bead IME that makes them easier to seat but I’m sure you have a reason not to use ’em (dual ply maybe ?)

Using an inner tube 1st & leaving overnight isn’t a bad idea (esp if you fail without). I find that soapy water is important for letting beads “snap” in & seat properly but it also allows them to slip off when you deflate the inner tube & start pulling at one side so I don’t even try MrSmith’s way (any more)

Then: definitely take out the valve core and definitely use soapy water. Pump like ****, get the tyre seated with track pump attached and leave like that for a while. Then remove pump (release pressure a bit slowly if you can & it’ll stay on both beads), inject your jizz down the valve stem using a syringe or suitably narrow bit of tube and refit valve core. Blow up. Smile. Beer.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Why won't my Maxxis Ardent 2.25 on Flows seat?’ is closed to new replies.