Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Why is there such a crap atmosphere on STW forum ?
  • This is not the worst, it’s just the most recent I’ve seen and fairly typical of the sort of stuff some people post.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-your-fasted-lap-around-cwmcarn-and-what-bike-kit?replies=15#post-2907756

You don’t get that sort of attitude on running and weightlifting forums, why is it so common here ?
    Does it happen on other sport’s forums ?
    I’m guessing it’s because runners and weightlifters are generally competition focussed, so there is a lot of mutual support and encouragement.
    The majority of mountain bikers on the other hand don’t enter competitions.
    Nobody likes to admit they’ve spent 6 months disposable income on a bike and can’t ride it properly. I suppose for some people, mocking those who can saves their own embarrassment.

It doesn’t bother me. If I was easily offended, I wouldn’t mention what I eat and what sort of events I enter. 😉
    It’s just that I’ve met a few people who could make a contribution to STW, but don’t post here, because of the constant personal attacks.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Oh Jesus mate, stop whining!
    Hehe 😉
    True enough though there’s a few usual suspects on here the seem to thrive on bitching and backstabbing. Virtual cockpunches administered by mods please.

peterfile
    Free Member

to be fair, i started a thread yesterday looking for a bit of a mental boost, and STW assisted without the jibes.

This place can be a PITA at times, but it’s the internet, you can’t pick and choose who interacts.

I always think of it like bars: there are LOADS of bars I know to avoid because they are full of ****ts, idiots, agressive retards, pretentious muppets, weirdos, sexual predators etc etc. So I can limit my exposure to them to a certain degree.

On t’internet though, it’s like one big smelly bar, and everyone has the luxury of annonimity, so even if they aren’t actually a complete knob in real life, they can act like one on here 😀

In many ways, MTB is quite a solitary sport (compared to say football, rugby etc), not just when you are actually participating, but in terms of the number of “real” friends you have involved in the sport. I have plenty of friends, but only one who is as daft about MTB as I am. So I think people generally don’t get the whole camaraderie feeling that exists in other sports (which is one of the reasons we all flock to STW to chat about inane bike stuff!).

Also, there are also a whole lot of bike envy/middle age crisis/odd balls associated with our sport, particularly in XC 😉

tazzymtb

It seems to be the riders who have perhaps more interest in looking the part and pretending to be gnarcore radsic etc..than those who actually ride a lot that are the bitchy idiots. Most of the racers, competative riders are generally more encouraging or more helpful when people ask for advice rather than just spouting whatever the latest MBR or MBUK line is.

Personally I think the dividing line is if you consider mountain biking a sport or a past time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Graham… are you serious? That thread seems ok. Man The etc etc..

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve not been on much lately, that prob explains it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve never looked on weightlifting forums but the running ones seem to be insanely dull on the whole. I don’t know if running limits the imagination, or those with limited imagination are frequently attracted to it, but with a few exceptions they seem to be lacking a bit up top, generally appear scared to express an opinion, or just don’t have one. Now climbing forums, if they think you’re an idiot, they’ll tell you 🙂

neallyman
    Free Member

2 reasons Graham, both linked: First reason is Ego and second is Anonimity.

Ego gets the better of people when it comes to biking as it’s the ultimate ‘subjective’ sport. ie if you don’t actually race then nobody knows just how fast or good you actually are. So people on here can all spout off as though they are Elite DH or XC riders…when in actual fact they are at best average and, at worst, dilusional. And when it comes to kit and equipment Ego seems to convince everybody that if the brakes or wheels are currently on your bike…ie you spend £££ on them…then clearly these are the best that money can buy and ergo are suitable and appropriate for every other biker in the world.

As for Anonimity. This forum is the ultimate in anonimous posting – no avatar pictures and very little in the way of personalising what you are saying. So again, posters can spout off and challenge other people’s thoughts and opinions and often bcome very detatched from how they would act in ‘the real world’.

Just my opinions.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

All forums are the same. This one is just a little smaller and that makes the ‘controversial’ types stick out all the more. Some people seem to get emotionally attached to ‘their’ forum which I find a little weird.
    They all have their cliques, the ones who strive to be known as the man on the block (be it via trolling or being billy big baws), the funny ones, the dim ones, the young ones, the old ones and thankfully they also have the helpful ones.
    I tend to filter out the ‘look at me’ types and look to benefit from the interesting, informative and entertaining ones amongst us. 😕 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing wrong in that thread. I think there are some threads that have been a bit shitty recently, but I’ve put that down to boredom at the end of the school holidays and a long hot summer.*

*some or all of this might not br true.

binners

There are weightlifting forums?

footflaps

Pretty pointless thread – if you want to know how quick you (really) are, turn up at an NPS event and find out. Just posting made up times on a forum is pretty pointless.

Ben (ex-NPS racer)

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s roadies not waving, that’s what it is.
    Just back from the weekend and didn’t get waved at, them not me..I am a roadie.

donsimon
    Free Member

There are weightlifting forums?

[roid rage]You bet your sweet ass there is, and I can bench press 120kg, so what are you going to do about it? Grrrrr![/roid rage]

Woody
    Free Member

I tend to filter out the ‘look at me’ types and look to benefit from the interesting, informative and entertaining ones amongst us.

Well put Barney.

Still lots of good stuff, it just seems harder to find sometimes 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You bet your sweet ass

[coquettishly] Who told you about my arse? [coquettishly]

toys19
    Free Member

You think that one is bad (it isnt that bad) try this http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-business-website-is-a-go

There are people who come on here with the sole intention of pishing on other peoples chips. Thats why I get into so many rows, arguing with the chip pishers.

oldgit
    Free Member

I always have an image in my minds eye when I ask anything on here.
    Some of you if your old enough might remember a TV advert (can’t remember what for) where a policeman is giving directions and pointing those directions out to a nodding and agreeing elderly Oriental couple, whilst still pointing in one direction the couple nod as if they’ve understood and set off in the other direction.

oldgit
    Free Member

I like pish & chips.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

mmmmmmmhhh… pish and chips. nom nom nom…

[edit] damn you oldgit!

chiefgrooveguru

It’s just that I’ve met a few people who could make a contribution to STW, but don’t post here, because of the constant personal attacks.

That’s common to a lot of forums, certain opinionated/bitter/think-they’re-really-funny/territorial/etc regulars do a fine job in putting off newcomers. Said online ‘hardmen’ generally won’t say boo to a goose in the real world…

rOcKeTdOg

This thread needs the “big hitters” to argue about it for 5 pages before it has any value

It’s clear some posters actually ride their bikes and spend time doing that and others spend all their time in here talking about riding bikes rather than actually doing it, it’s easier to talk the talk though i suppose

stratobiker
    Free Member

I thought that thread was OK too.

Plus, whenever there’s a post asking for help, that’s when the true character of the forum shows, and it’s pretty damn good I reckon.

donsimon
    Free Member

toy19, I watched that thread and wondered about posting. Fourcrossjohn has been around a bit and knows what he’s in for. If he can’t take a few harsh and truthful comment on a forum, then he really should stay away from the world of business.
    This.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-v-shimano
    Or this 😳
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/prize-for-killing-threads
    Might be more representative of crappyness. (Sorry Saxonrider it seemed funny at the time 😉 )
    There are one or two comment in here that are over defensive and worth ignoring.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/you-dont-need-the-most-expensive-gear.
    HTH the OP. 😉

emsz
    Free Member

Been on here long enough to spot the threads that will just be an argument by the 2nd post. I just avoid them.

that one about the soldier who died for example. 🙄

LoCo
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry about it MTG, really water off a ducks back, at the end of the day it’s just someone sat on their own in front of a computer getting cross, they really wouldn’t say it to your or my face in the flesh 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve just read the Cwmcarn and photography threads and am struggling to see the negativity I was expecting from this thread…

The Cwmcarn one seems to contain a bit of p!ss taking but not much in the way of nastiness that for example almost all of the political threads degenerate into while the photography one seems to be full of pretty reasonable posts that while not exactly encouraging the guy are maybe what he needs to hear to realise the realworld view/position he’s in.

EDIT – missed Loddrick’s post on the Cwmcarn thread but one post doesn’t really make a trend.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cwmcarn one was ok really, if your going to take the mic. at least make sure it’s funny 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    It’s clear some posters actually ride their bikes and spend time doing that and others spend all their time in here talking about riding bikes rather than actually doing it, it’s easier to talk the talk though i suppose

Well said!

Even allowing for the fact that many people at “work” must spend a lot of their employers time on here,
    I’m more than a little surprised that so many of the ‘regulars’ seem to almost constantly be online.

It’s almost like they don’t actually ride bikes and/or have a life outside of the internet 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Last week of school holidays – the kids are bored. Will get back to “normal” next week.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Just came back on here after not reading the forums and whoa nothing has changed!

Chat forum = exactly what it is ch-at.

Bike Forum = usually quite good.

TooTall
    Free Member

I have a problem with tubby blokes buying the wrong size of bike and breaking them all the time and especially those who read maps in a competitive fashion – but I don’t flame their posts.

Oh.

Jamie
    Free Member

As the foraging Emsz says, the pissing contests are easily avoidable. Certain topics and certain posters should just be ignored and your stay here can be a pleasant one.

….why I am giving a serious answer to a baited MTG question, is beyond me though.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Even allowing for the fact that many people at “work” must spend a lot of their employers time on here,
    I’m more than a little surprised that so many of the ‘regulars’ seem to almost constantly be online.

DT78
    Free Member

Hows this for an idea. A few forums I have seen enable you to say whether a post is good or bad. And the ones that receive bad feedback are hidden unless the reader unfilters them.

You could do it at topic level too.

This would mean genuine readers can work through what posts are worth reading and what posts have been ruined by those who seem to want to bicker about politics on a bike forum.

Kind of self regulating

Jamie
    Free Member

@DT78

STW does not even have a pm system. There is more chance of the forum having smell-o-vision added, than a like/dislike filtering system.

grum
    Free Member

This thread is hardly contributing to a positive atmosphere on the forum is it – what with it being a thinly veiled dig at people who don’t compete (and willy-wave about it). And others weighing in with basically ‘people who race are better than everyone else’. Hmmm….

andy_hamgreen

OP – blimey – are you kidding ? seems fine to me – thought it was quite funny really – however I don’t actually ride a bike of course and have never actually been to Cwmcarn so that might limit my credibility to comment a little 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

don’t ‘compete’ did ‘ride’ at the weekender 😯 , live next to Cwmcarn but don’t ride it that often, and as long as you leave all the blackberries and other ‘foragables’ alone there it will all be fine 😈 😀

Frankenstein
    Free Member

What jamie said ^^^

Jamie – Member

As the foraging Emsz says, the pissing contests are easily avoidable. Certain topics and certain posters should just be ignored and your stay here can be a pleasant one.

….why I am giving a serious answer to a baited MTG question, is beyond me though

Or stick to the bike forum.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Why is there such a crap atmosphere on STW forum ?’ is closed to new replies.