Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Why is it a bad idea to have a cat?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Don’t buy beds and toys. The cat will ignore whatever you spend money on, usually

+1

Our cats enjoy a cardboard box, elastic band (one of them actually eats them), their own tails, and a brush or comb.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Yep toys ignored or scared of, but dressing gown cords, cotton hanging off clothes, flies and imaginary bits of fluff all good to go

frogstomp

Downside? Screaming bunnies being devoured under your bed at 2am.. scream, scream, crunch, scream etc. etc.

Other than that, it’s all good.. weekends away are no problem – just put down plenty of dry food.

stumpy01

clubber – Member
    You have to either pay for cattery or get a neighbour/friend to feed them when you go away at the weekend.

Oh and based on our experience, if they get excessively stressed by something (eg next door’s cat or similar) they may start pissing or crapping in the house to mark their territory..

These are the main problems as I see it.
    We got our cat from a rescue home and she was fine for a while, but then started marking her territory all over the house. We tried loads to stop it, but never really did.
    Moved house recently & touch wood – she has completely stopped. Like a different cat though.

She was ill a while ago that cost Petplan >£3k.

This was a pic of her once we got her home….

and some pics once she recovered:

McHamish
    Free Member

just put down plenty of dry food.

We could never do that as we had a dog too…he’d just eat it.

The cat could also open the fridge, have a nibble of a bit of cheese and leave it open for the dog…who’d eat everything.

Had to get one of those child locks on it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ransos
    Free Member

And poo isn’t a problem – your own cat should bury its own

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Sorry. As you were.

unovolo
    Free Member

Our last cat ,Jack RIP.

LS
    Free Member

Coming home to find that days’ contributions to the household piled up on the dining room floor – 2 birds, 1 mouse, a nests’ worth of mouse pups and a toad.
    Bringing me a live (very) lizard at 8.30 on a Saturday evening just as I’d cracked open a beer.
    Playing volleyball in the lounge with mouse pups and shrews.
    Shredding leather sofas.

But beyond that, it’s not a bad idea at all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bagpuss72
    Free Member

awwwwwwwwwwww Stumpy look at her now bless x

binners

They’ll make short work of any wicker-based furniture too

philconsequence
    Free Member

you know this forum used to be a place you could come and ask questions about bikes, routes and technique. nowadays its just internet idiots posting weird pictures of cats with bad spelling on them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

derek_starship
    Free Member

Binners – not a problem round our way. We have a 24hr wicker store!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

This is what you can expect.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gknp-8ltmE&feature=related[/video]

bagpuss72
    Free Member

hahaha I LOVE Simon’s Cat I like the one with the fly when it trashes the room whilst he’s asleep in the chair

Frodo

Ignore the you can’t leave them for a weekend. Get an auto feeder, two pockets with timer release. You can get really expensive 5 pocket ones too! Although much cheaper and less disruptive than a cattery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=automatic+cat+feeders&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9037073821&ref=pd_sl_99dul80vef_b

I’ve left mine for four days over christmas and they were fine. They don’t always travel well but I have had them over at the folks at Christmas before and they were fine!

chickadee
    Free Member

Barring wicker stuff, is it easy to discourage furniture scrattling? The wee bagger had managed to pull up some carpet overnight as I guess he wanted out of the cat room into the rest of the house, where the good stuff happens.

Sheeet. I have descended into the world of lolcats. There is no hope.

molgrips
    Free Member

I should add that our cat was fine for two days with just food left out. However we wanted to be gone during the week as well (work) which meant that for the 18 months of that assignment we hardly ever went away at the weekends, because two nights int he week then anotehr two at the weekend wasn’t fair on him. We had no catflap.

sweepy
    Free Member

We go away for a week at a time with no worries, just put down a ginormous bowl of iams, an even bigger bowl of water and leave a window open. The food never runs out cos they prefer wildlife, preferably endangered.
    I dont think the ungrateful brutes even notice we’re gone.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

They’ll scratch anything! My Maine Coon even scratched a really rough leather suite from running across it with his claws out my wicker CD rack is wrecked down one side and she also has a go at the wood floors where its uneven (proper old floor rather than laminate)

You could try the water-pistol trick worked for my friend quick squirt if he went to scratch the sofa thing was he just waited till she was out of the room……

khani
    Free Member

When we go away we give the neighbours a key and they pop round in the morning and evening to let em in or out and for feeding times, apparently if they don’t come round on time the cats go round theirs to Remind them
    They ignore us for a day when we come back as well

stumpy01

bagpuss72 – Member
    awwwwwwwwwwww Stumpy look at her now bless x

Looks can be deceiving – she can be a right pain in the butt….!
    Cute though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I should also add that our cat never scratched a thing in the house except to get our attention, and even then he only pricked the sofa a bit never causing damage. He scratched the crap out of the shed and fence posts though 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

It’s a bad idea to have a cat in case you feel compelled to purchase a tank of helium.. and then inflate your cat like a balloon for tying to your wrist when you have to go into town to pick up your dry-cleaning and grab a few bits and bobs from the Co-op..

khani
    Free Member

Old saying is. ‘cats have servants, dogs have masters’
    Tis true..

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don’t think it is. I am mistrustful of that artificial stuff. And never buy Iams, it’s like smack for cats, they go mental demanding tons of it from you and you have no choice but to give it to them, and then they get fat.

I guess it depends on the cat. With the one that’s adopted me, I just fill up a hopper of iams every few weeks and it helps itself a bit if it’s passing it. Though this time of year it seems to live mostly on baby rabbits and birds so takes even less than normal.

hels
    Free Member

Cats are great – never regretting getting mine.

Best to have them from kittens though, and don’t let them leave their mother too soon as she teaches them about litter trays and hunting.

Going away is a hassle, mine likes company so 1 night is about the most I will do, I have somebody coming over to feed her for any longer.

molgrips
    Free Member

We took our cat to a cattery and the lady said that every Iams cat she had in was overweight, and every Purina cat was not…

clubber
    Free Member

don’t let them leave their mother too soon as she teaches them about litter trays and hunting.

And how to clean themselves. One of our cats, Binky (short for Bianchi)’s nickname is stinky binky because he was a rescue cat, saved from a bag and a nearby river at a very young age.

stgeorge

Fleas, sick, dead animals, sick, garden now devoid of all birds that used to be there, feathers, sick, fights in the middle of the night….Pain in the ass

BikePawl
    Free Member

If you are going to feed it Dried food, I can thoroughly recommend leaving it plenty of water, we lost our old cat to kidney disease, it lived on dried food we thought it got enough water, but it might not of had enough.

h4muf
    Free Member

This is mine.

Called Archie,really nice with you for two minutes then randomly attacks you!
    Oh,and dead birds around the garden are VERY commonplace.

nicko74

Cats are ace. There’s no down side. From time to time they may even allow you to feel like you’re the one in charge in the relationship. Maybe. Not often though

Think you’re confusing cats with women there…

M6TTF
    Free Member

he or she will break your heart when die 🙁

loddrik
    Free Member

Great a cat thread, cats are the best pets by far, here’s ours… (crap pics)

Vega

Yeti

Chilli

Houns

Cats are the best pet. I have six of them in my life (not all stay with me!)

Yes they have a killed a bird each in the past but (mainly as they were magpies and they were ill afterwards) they don’t bother with birds at all (i’m sat here typing this as a blackbird is hopping around the garden right near where one of the cats is lying)

The only downsides i’ve come across are the odd occasion when they get stuck in a tree and when they walk across your keyboard!

These 2 are abut 3 months old now and getting big!

Two of the above also play fetch with a ball of paper or foil, they run to fetch it, run back and drop it in my open hand 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Why is it a bad idea to have a cat?’ is closed to new replies.