Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why is "all" bike stuff black and red?
  • organic355
    Free Member

eh? why?

I myself have built up and black/carbon hardtail with red accents & red anodized bits, only because it seemed the right thing to do aesthetically.

But it seems that “most” standard colour bits are black/red?? i.e. difficult to get a wheelset without red/white stickers, handlebars, seatposts all seem to have red/black logos?

Quite limiting if you are bothered about aesthetics of your bike as well as funtion and you want to build a bike up in another colour like green/blue/yellow? I know you can get hope hubs, chris king headsets etc etc in other colours, but the black/red other bits look naff combined with these.

Just wondering (yes bored on friday lunchtime) why “most” companies seem to opt for the red/black colour scheme?

…waits for the usualy comments of “who gives a *** what colour stuff is as long as it works” etc etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, I’m building a silver/gold bike at the moment, the only bit’s I’ve struggled with are rims (superstar seemed too cheep, spank didn’t get great reviews), and forks (can’t afford/justify fox kashima’s!).

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Its the fastest colour combination.

smiff
    Free Member

^ what no beer said. red to go faster, black for its stealth properties. you’re fast and harder for the enemy to get a lock on you and take you down 😉

binners

Mine’s baby blue and white. Does this make me an ethnic minority

RACIST!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Let me see. Current stable,

Black, black, black, orange, silver, teal and a rather fetching metallic burgundy.

🙂

weeksy

i thought we were talking about Trailcentres.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I have 3 black/red/white bikes and a British Racing Green SS roadie. that was red before I rattle canned it.
    definitely faster on the stealthy/ red combo.

richc
    Free Member

I guess its because most companies have worked out that MTBer’s in general are pretty dull, and in general only like shades of grey, as colours would be too exciting.

Mind you On-one might be trying to buck the trend

smiff
    Free Member

being serious for a moment: the same reason so many cars are silver? it’s about not offending people in the showroom – you don’t want a customer to go “yeah like the bike but couldn’t own a green/brown/orange/pink one”. doesn’t explain why black and not silver though.. smaller the company, smaller batches, less an issue i’d guess.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Red, black, white.

Red, black, white

Not very imaginative as you can see! 😳 😳

kiwijohn

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, my bikes are (or try to be, most have variosu odds and ends thrown on them that dont match).

Green/black: fairly successfull, silver cranks don’t look too out of place and gold pedals look pimpy

Silver/gold: needs forks and wheels sorting, carbon/kevlar ragley wisers aren’t really as ‘gold’ as I’d hoped.

Yellow (with black/red/white logos): nasty hotch-potch of odds and ends and the frames begining to look tatty. Can’t decide whether to buy new matching groupset and finishing kit and have it resprayed or sell it and start afresh.

soobalias
    Free Member

this isnt helping with my PA colour choice.

red or black or red or black or red or black

IvanDobski
    Free Member

My highball is taking red on black to an entirely new level inc custom paintjob and wheel decals and a red/black ss chain – some people might think it’ll be overdone but they’ll be wrong!

njee20
    Free Member

My bike is predominantly black and white.

I got some green chainring bolts as I liked the idea of having green accents. It made me realise that despite the fact it is black and white, there are absolutely loads of very small red bits (rim decals, frame decals, fork decals, saddle detail etc), and they looked rubbish. So I fitted red ones, and it looked far better.

In short, I agree.

stewartc
    Free Member

Red, Black and White too, its the new…..err…black

igm

Black ‘n’ red?

Fascist sympathies innit?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Black and white.And read all over.A newspaper.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Apparently guys have a trend of buying black and red lingerie for their ladyfriends and women tend to prefer other colours as the B&R combo is viewed as a bit…cheap.

Black and red is a safe bet for selling a bike. White’s a bit faddy, colours divide opinion and we do associate red with speed whether you like it or not.

I really like polished aluminium and would like to see more of it in MTB in place of ano black (shiny mirror, not dull raw). I’m also on my 2nd pearlescent orange frame :mrgreen: The first was a Prince Albert, the current is an Attack Trail.

The track bike I’m looking at is, you guessed it: black, red n white.

I’d also really like a bike in primary colours so it looked like a big Fisher Price “my first” bike. If I ever keep a frame for long enough I may go for it for teh lolz.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My bikes have the following (different bikes)
    Bars – Yellow, Blue, Red & Black
    Frames – White, Blue, Red, Brown
    Saddles White and Black
    BB’s Blue/Black
    Rotors variety of hope colours
    grips all sorts

Not hard just look round

VS has loads so do hope

colournoise

Hmmmnnn. Just (thanks to new black rims with red stickers) getting rid of all the white on my bike (other than decals/logos on stuff) to go with a totally black & red scheme.

What a sheep I am.

Having said that, other bikes are blue & blue, orange & red & (when I finish it) raw & chrome with possibly a black & white fun/street bike on the horizon.

slainte 😳 rob

Stevo210
    Free Member

With all this Kashima coating knocking around, maybe gold will be the next red……..

mjsmke

My road bikes blue black and silver.

colournoise

colournoise – Member
    Hmmmnnn. Just (thanks to new black rims with red stickers) getting rid of all the white on my bike (other than decals/logos on stuff) to go with a totally black & red scheme.

From.

To.

slainte 😳 rob

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why is "all" bike stuff black and red?’ is closed to new replies.