Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Why don't they grit the roads with sugar ?
  • Salt lowers the freezing point of water, corrodes cars, pollutes waterways and has to be imported.

Sugar lowers the freezing point of water, can be grown in the UK and is harmless, probably.

Why not use sugar then ?
    Once it dissolves in water to become syrup it would actually make the roads stickier.

RealMan
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

A few years ago around here (Worcestershire) they tried a new “grit” of salt with a molasses binder. The cows on the common thought it was christmas and caused all sorts of traffic chaos on the roads across the common.

🙂

anyway, its done more in the states I gather
    http://www.cas.org/newsevents/connections/beetmolasses.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

water to become syrup it would actually make the roads stickier.

and your windscreen.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Salt is dug out of the ground, and costs next to nothing at source. It’s also conveniently impregnated with lots of grippy grit.

Sugar costs a fortune to grow, and has massive carbon footprint.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

As above, they tried using molasses in Scotland, but all the deer used to stand in the middle of the road licking the tarmac. Caused more accidents than the ice apparently, so they went back to salt.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They could mix it with jobbies so animals didn’t eat it (apart from dogs).

aracer
    Free Member

Salt … has to be imported.

Sugar … can be grown in the UK
    On the contrary, we can mine salt in the UK, but have to import sugar.

thomthumb
    Free Member

import sugar.

cane yes. beet no.

allthepies
    Free Member

Stay off the crystal meth, mkay.

Karinofnine

I thought some countries use alcohol?

I hate the damage salt does to my car – what about these: Calcium Magnesium Acetate (CMA) or Potassium acetate (KA)

chriswilk
    Free Member

why bother gritting at all, just pass a law that everyone has to use winter tyres – like they do in the rest of Northern Europe

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What effect would filling watercourses with acetate salts have? ‘Salt’ at least we know it has negligable impact on the environment.

Harry_the_Spider

They could mix it with jobbies so animals didn’t eat it (apart from dogs).

Chokes on tea.

muchbettertom
    Free Member

In my bit of the Alps they’re cutting down on gritting the roads this winter, as they were finding that Lake Geneva was getting too saline 🙁

Certainly going to make the roads a bit more ‘interesting’ anyway!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In Canadia they use gravel then when the snows gone they scoop it all up, wash it & keep it for next year.

elaineanne
    Free Member

eh gravel….that wud be hard to drive on…and even cycling on..lol

Zoolander
    Free Member

We should have under Tarmac heating – powered by solar panels on streetlights- which would also be powered by said panels.

Genius me

gwaelod
    Free Member

Salt would cause a lot of corrosion on steel bridge superstructures, and to aircraft components so on airfields and large bridges they either use a commercial chemical called Komsin, or just plain old urea as an alternative to salt.

And no I’m not taking the urea.

molgrips
    Free Member

why bother gritting at all, just pass a law that everyone has to use winter tyres – like they do in the rest of Northern Europe

They do use salt there. I’ve seen it. Not all the time though as it’s too cold. They also use granite gravel because it’s in plentiful supply – limestone gravel would get crushed up and turn to sludge.

However you often don’t need it there since when it’s really cold snow is a solid substance and actually pretty dry – salt won’t work if there’s no water for it to dissolve into. It’s dry, so it gets pulverised by passing cars into a dust and blows away.

On pavements and cycle paths, gravel impregnated snow is actually incredibly grippy. So much so that many cycle commuters in Helsinki don’t have ice tyres and just ride carefully when they come to the many ice slicks from leaking drains etc 😯

seahouse
    Free Member

sweet

plumber
    Free Member

As above

In Calgary in that there famous Canadia they do use gravel – which is swept up during the spring from every street in turn – you have to park somewhere else on the day or you get towed f’sure hey – also most people drive with snow ‘tires’ though its not mandatory to do so

they also used an alcohol spray last year on the highways which did seem to help

I also found that because it was so cold/dry the snow was pretty grippy and had no real problem driving day to day

Ice was an issue but it didn’t really stick around for more than a day or 2 because of the chinooks

It wasn’t better than the UK because of the measures they took it was more because the snow is different and it certainly wasn’t uncommon to have 100-200 fender benders every day, especially with new snow fall around 4-6 inches

Plum

smiffy

Much of our salt applied to the roads is molassed these days, many local authoroties specify it.

Whilst animals like molasses, they also are attracted to salts, so they have always been drawn to road salt. Around here the sheep crowd around the bins, not really waiting for it to be spead on the road.

Animal lick buckets are a blend of molasses and mineral salts, so it’s no surprise they like road salt.

aP
    Free Member

Molasses also makes the roads nice and slippery which is nice for cycling on.

maccruiskeen

If we stop using salt the slugs will come!

twohats
    Free Member

they also used an alcohol spray last year on the highways which did seem to help

I would have thought that that would cause all the winos to be attracted to licking the road.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Zoolander – I think they do that in Japan – of sorts.
    The main roads have lots of steels driven about 15m into the ground to act as sort of ground source heat pumps to keep the surface ice free.

midlifecrashes

Cos it would be bloody, bloody, bloody, bloody, bloody, bloody, bloody awful.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxi6QDwQyLU[/video]

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Zoolander – I was thinking the very same thing earlier this week! Great minds, eh?
    It may cost a bit more, but the long term savings may make it worthwhile.
    I reckon all local authorities should insist that any new housing developments adopt such a system, and over time, with road upgrades and resurfacing projects, the idea be incorporated nationwide.

Only drawback I foresee is the utility companies coming along and continuing this practice of digging up decent quality road/pavement surfaces to lay/repair their wares and finising off with something of a lesser quality than they dug up. I really can’t stand this lack of consistency which leaves us with a patchwork of blacktop in this country.

jon1973
    Free Member

they tried using molasses in Scotland

Where the hell did they get all the moles from?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Why don't they grit the roads with sugar ?’ is closed to new replies.