Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why does my garmin 810 keep switching itself off?
  • Kryton57

Its happened twice in the last two weeks. Seems to be fine and busy measure the normal HR speed etc – I’m not even using maps. Then I look down and its off…?

wwaswas

My 305 did that – the battery was loose. If you shake it does it rattle a bit?

timmys

My 305 did that – the battery was loose. If you shake it does it rattle a bit?

I had the same problem with my 205. No idea if the same issue is present in other models but Garmin do do fairly reasonably priced replacements if your 810 is out of warranty.

Kryton57

No, it doesn’t rattle…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My 305 did that too, didn’t rattle. Had to take it apart and put a prit pad between the case and the battery.

My 800’s been fine though.

At the time Garmin were doing refurbished ones for £70.

Kryton57

Some googling appears to indicate it’s an “off course”issue win open street map and the unit. The fist time was exactly that, the second – yesterday – I did accidentally flick to map screen pre-race, maybe that’s it…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mines done it too twice in two weeks, same problem as you’ve had, same “off course” issue when I’ve diverted because I wanted to. Also it’s frozen twice too, just when I’ve ended a ride and pressed the start/stop button the things frozen on the save/discard screen.. even if I press the on/off button it makes no difference but if I wait about 3mins it turns itself off and resets so I can turn it back on again.. It’s saved the ride though…

Bit weird 😐

tenfoot

Have you guys loaded the most recent software update? My 810 is running ok at the moment, so if it ain’t broke, I ain’t “fixing” it with one of Garmin’s special updates.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I am, it’s been fine TBH but just these two issue with me. Put it down to a lost signal the first time then the freezing I put down to me being ham fisted with the buttons..

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

As per Bikebouy. Happened to me on Saturday. Running Open street map and following a course. Went off course for a brew and when it tried to recalibrate itself and find the course, screen went white. Restarted no problem though. Using current software update.

Kryton57

Is this the “serves your right for getting lost – take that” upgrade I guess?

Bikebouy funny you should mention it I had that also – screen frozen on Save/Discard for the last third of a ride, right before I PB’d a massive climb (going but the feel of my legs 😉 😀 )

jameso

Had a couple of similar recent glitches like that, divert off a route or plug into a dynamo USB charger and then find it’s lost half the tracking to that point. Last firmware update about 18 months ago or more.
    Put it down to one those odd things that electronics do now and then, so watching with interest here. (I’m on garmin SD maps)

Dibbs
    Free Member

Quite a few people are reporting crashes with the latest Edge 810 firmwares (Ver 3.60 & 3.62 beta).
    Mine’s been fine and I have a suspicion it may be map related.
    Edge 810 forum

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ I was going to post that Garmin support link too..

We’re not thinly ones with issues it seems.. However it’s only happened a couple of times with me so I’m not that bothered TBH.. Should it happen more often then I’ll join the voices and head over to Garmin for help.

I guess we should all ride the course we set out and PB it everywhere we go 😆

Shall be using it tomorrow on a ride, will report back 😉

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had similar last week. An unplanned diversion when navigating (accidentally picked up a canal instead of road) and the 810 crashed when I tried to turn off guidance. It froze halfway between flicking a screen across and no amount of button pressing would do anything. I had to just carry on and it did come back on eventually back at the save/discard screen but didn’t record anything whilst frozen.
    How can garmin keep making such bad software? When I first bought the 810 it kept crashing then they finally released an update that fixed the crashing but had other idiosyncrasies. I should of stuck with the previous software.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I had the exact same problem last year. Sent it back under warranty. Turns out it has a ‘sleep mode’ or something like that in the settings. So even though it was recording, it would turn off if I didn’t touch the screen. If you find this setting just turn it off. Seemed to solve it for me. Was quite well hidden, the setting that is and I can’t remember the exact name.

avdave2

The Garmin sat nav in our work van likes to do this, usually just as you hit the centre of some european city you’ve never driven round before. It just adds a little interest to every journey.

enmac
    Free Member

My wife’s does this regularly. The default mode is that if the unit doesn’t detect any movement for a certain period it will switch itself off (a bit stupid I know), if you dig down in the options somewhere you can switch this off. However, every time the unit resets itself, which is annoyingly frequently, it will default to the off option again.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Not quite the same thing but this is driving me mad. I have put the open source maps on a micro SD card. Garmin boots up and says ‘loading maps’. Seems to work OK. Then next time I switch it on the maps revert to the default ones which are piss poor. When I plug into the PC I can see that the maps are gone from the micro SD card.

Any ideas? Either the Garmin has a bug or its a dud Micro SD card. Whatever it is, its doing my fruit in.

Kryton57

Four times. Four **** times on the BORS event today. Really pissed off with the thing, it’s useless if that’s going to happen. I’m going to remove OSM and see if that helps.

Russell96

Happened to me on the Dyfi Enduro whilst it could have been the soaking it had, I’m guessing that it was the first long ride I had done after the latest firmware update as it had been faultless before then even on longer/as wet rides and as I wasn’t using it for any navigation why would some error/issue with the OSM map cause it to crash?

Russell96

But as an experiment I’m just downloading the latest (incl maps) update and will see what happens (well apart from riding the Dyfi route again so soon :-/ )

rpallen
    Free Member

FYI I read that the issue is prevalent when following a RideWithGPS course.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mines been fine since, done 6 long rides 4 following a route and 2 just following the group.. No issues but I’ll be using it a lot again this week… Shall let you know.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ ignore that ^^

I’ve just updated to v3.62 beta and will let you know how that goes. Unlikely I’ll be riding today but tomorrow I’ll be out again.
    😉

pete68
    Free Member

My wife updated hers to 3.6 and has the same issue. I’ll leave mine on 3.0 til garmin sort it out, as mine works absolutely fine, even though I’m using open street maps.

Kryton57

Well, after a month I’ve not updated my Garmin but simply removed OSM and reverted to the standard mapping.

I’ve had absolutely no issues, freezes or otherwise.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why does my garmin 810 keep switching itself off?’ is closed to new replies.