Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • why are roadies so miserable?
  • smartay

Been out today, wrexham to chester via Rossett, holt, farndon, chur ton, aldford and into chester, back via Eccleston.
    Must of seen 30 plus riders comingt towards me, gave the cheery hello and absolutely nothing, must be the cost of there team jerseys or something.
    of cou it could be I was going so fast that they didnt hear me.
    dont tend to get that with mtb

jam-bo

It’s your face.

kudos
    Free Member

They’re silently reciting the rules of grammar and spelling in their heads.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s because arseholes are always moaning on forums about them.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not this shit again.

…and I am not even a roadie.

Pieface

When I’m out running roadie’s are friendlier than MTBers.

Sweeping generalisations, biscuits, trolls etc…

fasthaggis

jam bo is correct.

get a full face helmet

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s all Rapha’s fault

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s all your fault.

imnotverygood

If you want people to wave back at you all the time, get a job in a panto. The audiences are always very friendly, otherwise just ride your bike and don’t worry about the emotional state of others.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not this shit again.

…and I am not even a roadie.
    You are not even a MTB er 😛

souldrummer
    Free Member

You get miserable roadies and you get miserable mountain bikers. Having one particular bike doesn’t make a difference to your desire to wave/smile at someone doing something similar.

swanky
    Free Member

Lots of fun had here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AfpAYS08Q&feature=youtu.be

Maybe it’s because this club does road and MTB….and everything else in between.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

In a strange twist, I waved a cheery greeting at some guys on MTBs during last night’s road ride and got no response. Grumpy buggers.

DT78
    Free Member

Dunno where you ride, but for the most part I get nods from every rider I pass. I even got one from a older chap driving a massive old bently the other day.

To be fair sometimes when I’m on a century it gets a little tiresome nodding to the 999th rider, but I tend to still try. Only time I don’t is when it is really hurting.

smartay

I understand that cycling can be, is an individual past time but if you hate it that much then do something else.
    I can imagine their wives tell them to get out and use it or sell all therir kit and go back to golf
    must be the peaked off road helmet they dont like
    and any way life isnt it like a pantomine

oh no it isnt, oh YES it is

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m pleased that you understand, you may be the only one that does.

Perhaps your ‘hello’ was as unintelligible as your posts.

Honestly, posting on a forum because someone doesn’t respond to your cheery hello? Get a grip.

dazh

Let me guess, you were also outraged that someone drafted you without asking permission first? 🙂

GrahamS

I thought half term had finished?

2tyred

I try and balance things out by sneering threateningly at people when I’m on my MTB and grinning and waving at everyone all the time on my road bike. Even in races.

Hope this helps.

Jamie
    Free Member

You are not even a MTB er

I don’t even have a bike 😀

Kryton57

imnotverygood – Member
    If you want people to wave back at you all the time get a job in a panto.

Oh no they don’t…

brooess
    Free Member

EPO stops up our smiling muscles working, that’s why 😯

sandwicheater

Can’t say I noticed.

rocket
    Free Member

If you want people to wave back at you all the time, get a job in a panto

I think this sums it up nicely.

scaredypants

OP, for full marks you have to also mention that you overtook a chaingang while you were on your downhill bike with 2.8 tyres, up kirkstone pass. Then we’ll respect your views, honest

dannybgoode

chainslapp
    Free Member

Having one particular bike doesn’t make a difference to your desire to wave/smile at someone doing something similar.

This is Stereo Type World STW not Single Track world STW and we believe that anyone in an Audi or riding a road bike are all the same.

bigG
    Free Member

Do we have to go through this same topic every week? You may as well ask, why are car drivers / birds / politicians / masons / women / men / dogs / rocks / clouds so miserable..

Stop recycling the same old nonsense topics, I rely on this place as a distraction from work so I need it to be fresh and new as possible.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I find it weird that I pass in both directions a few roadies on my commute and most say hello/nod etc when I’m on my road bike but another day when I’m on the mtb most of them don’t.
    It doesn’t bother me and I still say hello but I just find it strange.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Do bikers get miffed if they don’t get the bikers nod back? Not arsed if I don’t get a hello or wave back when passing other roadies but it’s nice when you do. I wonder if some roadies consider themselves to awesome to acknowledge others. 😀

butcher

I find it weird that I pass in both directions a few roadies on my commute and most say hello/nod etc when I’m on my road bike but another day when I’m on the mtb most of them don’t.
    It doesn’t bother me and I still say hello but I just find it strange

I used to think roadies were ignorant before I bought myself a road bike. Then I realised MTBers were ignorant too!

People flock to their own circles. In my experience, the vast majority are very cheery. If someone doesn’t speak, I just assume they’re a southerner on holiday 😉

Joggers though… On a good day I might get a 50% success rate on response.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I couldn’t care less, generally just a raise of the hand slightly from the bars and a nod.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I don’t wave at everyone who I walk past, I don’t wave at everyone who I drive past, why do you think that because we’re both on bikes I should have to acknowledge you?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well, and I don’t want to side with the OP in any way here, but if I’m walking in the hills, quiet road I would generally say acknowledge to anyone I pass. If I’m riding through town I wouldn’t bother but on quiet roads I would give a nod to a walker or cyclist.

GrahamS

Have to admit that I always give a nod or say hello to anyone on a bike – be they roadie, mtber, BSOer, hipster, grandpa or whatever.

I’d say 90% return it.

Roadies that I encounter return it as much as anyone else, though they do tend to be less perceptible – sometimes just a slight tilt of the head, a raised finger or a smallest wiggle in their frown.

lcj

I’ve never understood why, in Surrey at least, people say hello to strangers in the countryside but put the same people on the high street and they wont give you the time of day, or more likley look like they want to murder you.

Return waves from roadies is the same as when driving Defenders – some do, some are very enthusiastic, some ignore you and some think you’re a lunatic. If you don’t want to run that pigeon-holing guantlet then keep your hands on the wheel/bars

seadog101

Most of the ones I see seem alright.

And I’ve come across some right po faced MTBers.

Each to their own

zippykona

I rode my slicked up turbo trainer bike to work today.
    Suspension was sorely missed as was the ability to bump up kerbs and any sort of grip on wet grass.
    I was miserable.

Jamie
    Free Member

The rudest people seem to be the doggers.

They always seem so angry when I come across them.

….which is kinda ironic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘why are roadies so miserable?’ is closed to new replies.