Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • why are KMC 11speed links non reusable ?
  • iainc

these ones – surely if opened with the right tool they could be refitted ?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I’ve removed & re – fitted mine.

I had no idea it was a one use only….

I’ve removed & re – fitted my 10 speed ones a few times, so assumed the 11 speed was the same.

Interesting on the Bike Radar link that someone fitted a 10 speed link to an 11 speed chain……

Schweiz
    Free Member

I’ve been using 10 speed KMC links with no negative consequences on 2 bikes ever since XX1 was released (approx 2 years)

roverpig

I’ve used 10 speed KMC links, but can never get the blasted things undone on the trail and usually just resort to my chain tool. Maybe there is a knack or something. But, if there is, I aint got it.

iainc

I use the tool for both 10 and the 11 speed ones. Best tenner I ever spent 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

I think they are just covering themselves and mean more that you shouldn’t transfer on old link on to a new chain.

sandwicheater

Spotted a dead pigeon on my ride in to work this morning. Likely down to you lot re-using your links. For shame, for shame.

mashiehood
    Free Member

funny that… i was thinking the same thing yesterday when i separated the SRAM link for the (god knows how many) times! its still working ok. Oh and use the tool, as iainc said, use the proper tool.

roverpig

I use the tool for both 10 and the 11 speed ones. Best tenner I ever spent

Thanks. Guess I’ll have to get me one of them. Not sure I’d bother carrying it on the trail, but then I guess splitting the chain with the KMC link isn’t really something you tend to do on the trail.

iainc

^^^ yes, mine is in my toolbox for home use. Any time I’ve done trailside fix the chain has broken so it’s a case of popping in a new one, which is easy without tool.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘why are KMC 11speed links non reusable ?’ is closed to new replies.