Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Who's stuck with or returned to Ti?
  • bol

I’ve had a few Ti frames over the years, both road and mtb, but for the last couple of years I’ve had carbon, ally and steel instead. I enjoyed Ti frames, but came to the conclusion that bikes are about more than just the materials they’re made from, and didn’t particularly hanker after another Ti bike until I saw the Kinesis Sync.

Anyone else been drawn back to Ti by something pretty or innovative – or is it increasingly a material of the past?

scotroutes

Still have my Ti tourer and my wee hardtail. I also have a new Burls Ti 29er frame on order.

I can see the advantages of carbon but, other than cost, I can’t see why steel or alloy gets a look in.

singlespeedstu

I’ve broken every Ti frame* i’ve ever owned so i’ll not be buying another.

*some cheap and some not so cheap. 😐

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I never left the country of Ti. Light responsive, and if you buy a good one, should last a long time. Mine have. It took 18 years to actually break one, and that was my everyday ride three/four times a week bike. It’s being repaired. I shan’t be parted. BUT you’re right… A bike is just a bike.

singlespeedstu

if you buy a good one, should last a long time

lolcanos.

Northwind

My Ragley’s going nowhere, til it cracks, which it will because of Legendary Lynskey Build Quality. Going to sell the Soda I think but nothing to do with the material, I just have too many bikes.

Keef
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

*some cheap and some not so cheap.

clumsy.

matther01
    Free Member

Never had a ti frame before but my new Stanton slackline ti will be going nowhere until either it’s broken or I am…and knowing my luck both will happen at the same time. 🙁

bobster
    Free Member

I too suffered from the Legendary Lynskey Build Quality, twice.

That’s it, never Ti again…ever.

And then along came the Kinesis Sync and Tripster ATR. Have purchased a Tripster and the Sync is currently on the ‘wish list’ for my next MTB.

schmiken

I had a custom 650 race frame made by Kingdom Bike two years ago and its perfect. Never wanted to chop it in and will almost certainly keep it until I (or it) dies.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

I paid £2500 for a ti-deluxe indyfab made to measure in every way, rode it a couple of times, had some bad luck and spent 5 years off the trails having a bit of a fight with leukemia and recently got back into fitness and training and only now, clear of all that and riding again, now know that my “bespoke” dream machine doesn’t fit me, top tube virtual is 1.5 inches too short!!!! am now gonna probably buy a £350 orange crush frame cos it will fit so no I wouldn’t rush back, or actually be that bothered, most important thing to me is fit…material secondary. that said, if I could find a uk builder and it fitted, I would be tempted! (and a good ti hardtail, relaxed head angle and decent travel versus my yeti asr? hmm even though my bouncer fits better I would take the former!

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve still got an original Tinbred and a Tomac Revolver Ti – don’t own any other bikes 😉

bol

Interesting. I only managed to break one Ti frame, and it wasn’t either of the Lynskey-built ones I’ve had. I’ve also broken an Aluminium frame. I’m guessing if you don’t break one every now and then you probably aren’t trying hard enough. At 6’4″ and 15 stone I’m not sure my hit rate is all that flattering. That said, the Sync looks like it will break me first.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu – How did you break your Ti Jones ?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Double post

Basil

I also would like to know how it broke

globalti
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden the Global ti for over two years but now I’ve realised that in August I’m going to be needing it for the school C2C with some slicks and a rack on it. Better dust it down and oil the chain soon.

flap_jack
    Free Member

‘Global Ti’

I always thought it was ‘Glo Balti’ presumably due to a love of fluorescent Indian food. As a username it had always amused me for that reason…

If it’s both then that is proper clever – chapeau !

orangeboy
    Free Member

Found the orange vit t ( lynsky made ) a bit average to ride but not bad and I shall keep it
    Got an old merlin road frame second hand and it’s amazing , smooth light and far far nicer than the carbon stuff I’ve had

Material is one thing but you still get good and bad ones

singlespeedstu

Keef – Member
    singlespeedstu – Member
    *some cheap and some not so cheap.

clumsy.

Not clumsy.
    Just not mincing on it. 😉

the-muffin-man

Stuck with Ti for 10 years now. Bought a Ti Inbred and countless frames (carbon, ali, full suss, steel) have come and gone in that time, but this one always felt right from day 1. This is now my only MTB.

Just stripped, polished and re-built it…

Biggererer…
    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3700/13900185331_5f0b776240_h.jpg

myti
    Free Member

I ended up with a Ti bike recently due to falling in love with it’s looks and subsequent great test ride. Twas the Kinesis Sync, just can’t stop looking at it!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Wish I had the pennies for a ti el mariachi.

epicyclo

Surely now we have 953, Ti is obsolete… 🙂

(Owner of 2 Ti bikes)

avdave2

I’m saving for a custom built Enigma Ego for my 50th next year. I have been a little wary of Ti, after all you hear of every failure on here, but they are only down the road from me should any repairs ever be needed and I’m a 9 stone wheels on the ground mincer. In 28 years of riding a mountain bike I’ve broken a seat clamp bolt, nothing else, and only then because I ignored the creaking of it being lose so I hope I should be ok with a frame.

haggis1978

@shortbaldone how do you know your VTT is 1.5″ to short? Seems like a very exact measurement for you too have just pulled it out of thin air but also seems like a huge amount for Indy Fab to be off in their measurements as well.

Kuco

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ctmpvm]P7080002[/url] by DO.1, on Flickr

Thought about selling it but think i’d regret it if I do.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

It is a lot haggis and I think maybe something went wrong in translation at the factory but because of the time lapsed it’s impossible to track back all the audit trail, I doubt my lbs chappie measured wrongly, he is very good at stuff so I think during the ether or at the other end. It didn’t and doesn’t feel right and yet my small yeti Asr felt better off the shelf so got some opinions, lots of them, all said too short by a long way so now been to back up the theory on a measuring bike jig pro fit thing and was confirmed to me that in there view the top tube was 1.5 inches too short (they provided it in mms and then converted it to old age speak for me!) I should add I paid for the fit as a stand alone service so as not to encourage a negative answer to get sold a bike. So am now looking at getting a new bike around a frame that fits, I need a vtt length of 23.55 inches and would love to get standover for my 29inch inseam but realize that’s unlikely. Closest I have sat on (not ridden) is this years 17inch crush, a far different beast to having a beautifully hand crafted Indy and Ali too but frankly I just want something that fits!

ampthill

@shortbaldone how do you know your VTT is 1.5″ to short? Seems like a very exact measurement for you too have just pulled it out of thin air but also seems like a huge amount for Indy Fab to be off in their measurements as well.

I think top tubes have got longer as stems have got shorter….

boxfish
    Free Member

Had a Soda, broke it.
    Had a Brodie Holeshot, some ****er sawed it in half to steal it.
    Have had a Van Nic Yukon for 7 years. Lovely bike to ride which I cannot envisage selling.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

Amphill, definitely agree they have which is why I wanted some science behind it, sure was designed with pre agreed stem of 90mm so that’s all been netted in the calculations , it is what it is and on the positive side, my 13 year old is deliriously happy with his inheritance made of Ti and it’s beautifully crafted, no doubt but I have to seek another, it’s just slightly put me off the custom process but am sure it’s a rare occur acne going by how happy owner drivers normally are of these and other custom made bikes.
    I would try again but I would want a uk builder so I could stay closer to the process so some learning there but if I can find a stock fit somewhere it will leave more cash for a nice build

ditchvisitor
    Free Member

This is my Ti beasty

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Litespeed Obed (2009/10) but too many bikes forcing imminent sale. Would buy again tho, it’s arguably among the beefier Ti frames, yet rocks the climbs too.

roverpig

Why are they always grey? Are they hard to paint or is it just to make sure everybody knows it’s Ti?

epicyclo

roverpig – Member
    Why are they always grey? Are they hard to paint or is it just to make sure everybody knows it’s Ti?

Easy to maintain. No paint to scratch and cleans up nicely with some brass wool.

Kuco

Mine hasn’t got decals on it anymore and being polished looks more like aluminium than ti.

roverpig

Ok, that makes sense, thanks and I guess there must be some people who like grey.

Daffy

Most of my bikes are Ti…never broken or even damaged one.

They’re not all good though. I never did get on with my Soda, Hummer or Ti456.

catvet
    Free Member

Shortbaldone
    I have a Crush frame for sale, hardly used, yours for free provided you make a suitable donation to the Michael Bonney trust fund, it’s a 17 with 600mm Vtt in Orange,
    Reason for sale is I prolapsed a disc last July and since then rode only full sus
    Phwill77 at gmail dot com

bol

They’re not all good though. I never did get on with my Soda, Hummer or Ti456.

I think this is my point about bikes being about more than their materials. I loved my Soda, but couldn’t get on with a Hummer at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Who's stuck with or returned to Ti?’ is closed to new replies.