Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Who wears a pisspot for XC riding?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Asked before I know but going into town tomorrow and will be looking at helmets so one last effort at getting some more advice.
    I will be riding a hardcore hardtail (cove stiffee) in welsh trail centres and doing techy descents but NOT downhill.
    I ride very fast like a maniac down through rock gardens etc and used to ride with a full face and goggles but found it annoying taking it on and off for the climbs/decents etc.

Iv’e never had a bad crash or even injured myself however I know this isn’t a reason to down scale but i’m wondering if something like the Fox Transition helmet is the way to go?
    Normal xc helmets just don’t seem to cover the temple area and the way I ride I need it!
    I don’t get airborn or do jumps or anything silly but as I said ride fast downwards like a nutter 🙂
    Would I look a c**k in a pisspot or should I just forget what I look like and get one anyway?
    Who else uses one for XC riding? and whats the rule with pisspots do you just wear clear specs.

Sorry help!!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Don’t Troy Lee do a half face thing?

Personally, if you’re going to go crazy I’d like some chin/jaw/face protection.

If anyone suggests the MET parachute, don’t, just don’t.

For XC lids, my main criterion is that the back of the lid should also have plastic over the polysteryene, otherwise it breaks up and fragments or gets damaged too easily.

BoardinBob

Pisspot wearer here.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

TSG Superlight, perfectly comfy and cool (in both respects) for all day wear.

Goodgey
    Free Member

Can i ask whats wrong with a met parachute?

nina
    Free Member

they’re shite

Bumhands
    Free Member

Piss pots offer great protection but are very hot.

I only use piss pots the skate park or dirt jumps.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Piss pot here. Hotter but who cares when you’re going fast down a hill. Way more protection than an xc lid. Much cheaper to replace when you bin yourself. I use a bell something or other. £15 and it fits better than any other lid I’ve ever tried.

It’s not like we live anywhere warm.

nina

they’re shite

Good objective critique there.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Right pisspot it is then 🙂
    Can anyone recommend the best one?
    I was told tsg are the best but the fox transition looks very nice 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Can i ask whats wrong with a met parachute?

Designed to keep ski slalom gate poles out of your face, not your chin from mating with the ground. If such an occurance happened to me, I’d not want snappy bits of plastic embedded in the soft tissues of my face in addition to the gravel etc…

BoardinBob

Can anyone recommend the best one?

Dunno about best but I bought a O’Neal Surround Sound in white. Built in speakers which allows me to listen to music on the move without being deadened to my surroundings by earphones

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23625

nina
    Free Member

FWIW my comment was re. met parachutes NOT piss pots

DustyLilac
    Free Member

The quality of pads in TSG are better than the Fox, but the Fox in white is very Storm Trooper chic. Superlight version of TSG more expensive, but the lightest pisspot you can get (I think).

pimpmyride
    Free Member

nina= we know mate 🙂
    So tsg or fox transition?
    Iv’e come to the conclusion that a full face is for well… full on downhill/freeride which isn’t me so I will sacrifice a hot head for a nice snug fitting,temple protecting pisspot 🙂

MrAgreeable

Pisspot for XC? Don’t see why not, but get the fit right, especially if you have a large or weird shaped head. Mine fits OK but doesn’t feel anything like as secure on my head as my Fox Flux. The coverage isn’t much better either.

nina
    Free Member

tsg? fox?

you want a poc mate

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Poc? Bloody expensive. TSG are nice and light but for my shape of head bell fit better and are more robust (well they feel it anyway). I like the disposable aspect of potties so until the day when I become very wealthy I’ll not be buying a poc.

I think pro tec do some fancy pots too.

richc
    Free Member

adh so you ever seen a broken chin guard on the MET or actually seen (in person or on the internet) pictures of injuries caused by the chin guard breaking?

Just interested, as lots of people mention it, I’ve never seen proof.

As for a pisspot, depends on if you they type of rider who wants to look ‘core’ rather than actually needs to wear a pisspot, but if your not jumping or doing drops, then you aren’t actually going that fast as the quickest line isn’t usually through the rock garden but instead over them (especially at trail centers look to the left of the right of the main trail and they normally have a few jumps/kickers to fire you over them).

Get a normal XC helmet that fits you well, such as the Xen or a Khaos and they will give you loads of protection without boiling your head.

GW
    Free Member

got a piss pot for BMX riding it’s just as hot as full-face IMO. I’d rather wear no helmet than a pisspot for XC.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

rich, no that bit was entirely personal preferance. I sometimes ponder the advisability of peak lids, but hey, its never going to be an entirely safe sport.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I use my switchblade for XC at times, it’s not overly hot and is confidence inspiring so works for me. Not sure how it would hold up under direct facial impact but Ive had a couple of over-bar impacts no problems, though the second time I landed with my neck bent backwards and my body directly on top – this winded me and gave me massive lock-jaw problems for a minute or two (from the bend neck, not the impact with chin) which worried me.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

richc

As for a pisspot, depends on if you they type of rider who wants to look ‘core’ rather than actually needs to wear a pisspot, but if your not jumping or doing drops, then you aren’t actually going that fast as the quickest line isn’t usually through the rock garden but instead over them (especially at trail centers look to the left of the right of the main trail and they normally have a few jumps/kickers to fire you over them).

So, how do you know when you want to look core or really are core? Does Robbie Bourdon call round your house one night, hand you a potty and say….”you’ve earned it broseph, now you’re core” What if you bunny hop the rock garden, or you use the first stone as a kicker to clear the rest? I think I do enough jumps and drops to merit a potty but I’ve never officially been given my seal of core’ness.

Compared to you I might be totally core, but compared to Ben Boyko, not so much so. If there is a chart or some way of quantifying core (other than my infallible opinion) please show it to me!

Get a normal XC helmet that fits you well, such as the Xen and they will give you loads of protection without boiling your head.

A bargain at 6 times the price!!!

FWIW I think the xen is worn by far more people trying to look “core” as it’s marketed as an AM / Freeride lite lid which is supposed to have the protection of a potty but the ventilation of an xc lid….but it’s worn almost exclusively by totally vanilla xc riders who wouldn’t drop off a kerb.

Count
    Free Member

There is an alternative, I have a Casco Viper MX. Purchased it for a trip to the Alps and find the concept pretty good. It’s a regular XC lid, albiet tougher and a bit gnarly looking but the detachable chin section is a lot better than the Parachute. Once in place, the feeling is almost the same as a full face but with better airflow. You can detach just the chin piece on the fly pretty easily without taking the lid off so worked well for me.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Better than that Fox thing with the spoiler wing on top of it.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Interesting debate.

Back to the OP; you have no reason to feel like a **** wearing a pisspot, XC lid, full-face or any other helmet at a trail centre. Wear what you like, ride what you like and ride how you like.

My twopence-worth – I wear a pisspot at trail centres as well as for ‘proper rides’ and general mucking about. I wear a full-face for DH. I have no hair, so I don’t find them too hot and am comfortable with their look (‘core, pseudo-‘core – whatever) and the protection they offer.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Better than that Fox thing with the spoiler wing on top of it.

I was thinking to get one of them, because i find my way Mullet too hot and itchy in the summer (i even go no helmet rather than boil). What’s wrong with the Fox w spoiler wing thing?

acjim
    Free Member

broseph

😆

I’ve no idea how core I am but I fancied a more pisspot styled lid and on someones recommendation from here went for one of these (for £30):

Protec Cyphon

ps: that’s not me – he’s far more core than me

It’s very sturdy and not as head boiling as a real Pisspot

pimpmyride
    Free Member

“Back to the OP; you have no reason to feel like a **** wearing a pisspot, XC lid, full-face or any other helmet at a trail centre. Wear what you like, ride what you like and ride how you like.

My twopence-worth – I wear a pisspot at trail centres as well as for ‘proper rides’ and general mucking about. I wear a full-face for DH. I have no hair, so I don’t find them too hot and am comfortable with their look (‘core, pseudo-‘core – whatever) and the protection they offer”

Thanks Dusty you hit the nail on the head there mate, i’m deffo gonna get the TSG superlight now 🙂

Andy_K

FWIW I think the xen is worn by far more people trying to look “core” as it’s marketed as an AM / Freeride lite lid which is supposed to have the protection of a potty but the ventilation of an xc lid….but it’s worn almost exclusively by totally vanilla xc riders who wouldn’t drop off a kerb.

Damn, busted again! 😳

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Damn it acjim! why did you have to show me that!
    Just when I had made my mind up you post a dude looking core in another helmet 🙂
    I wonder if i’m core enough for that one? (bows down)

chunkychew
    Free Member

….but it’s worn almost exclusively by totally vanilla xc riders who wouldn’t drop off a kerb

MisterGnar, unless your name is ironic (and I very much suspect it is), then by calling yourself that, you have waived your right to vote on what is “‘core” or what type of person wears a Xen. Yeah it’s expensive, but what’s more important than the contents of your head? If you can’t justify the price, buy the Hex at half the price?

I have 3 helmets. Full-face for downhill or for jumping things I don’t like the look of, piss pot for dirt jumping/4x/BMX track and a Hex for “XC”/trail centres. The Hex (or similar) is cooler, lighter, has a visor and is a better fit on my head than my piss pot and offers a similar amount of coverage. Why wear something that will make you hotter than you need to be?

chunkychew
    Free Member

Don’t worry, we’re all more ‘core than “Doddy”

craig1975
    Free Member

I wear one, I spent a lot of time trying out “normal xc type helmets” I never found one that i was comfortable with, they made me look like I had a bottle top head 😆 so I opted for the piss pot and never looked back.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Yay! a picture of someone actually wearing a pisspot!
    Anymore pictures of people wearing one, but only pics of you looking core 🙂

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Craig is that a chameleon by any chance?
    At least you look pretty cool, I’ll prob look like a rodney plonker in mine but who cares?
    Gonna get some pics up when my bikes finished and I will be on it with my pisspot on!! 🙂

Duane…
    Free Member

I wear a pisspot (TSG Evo) when I ride XC (which is very rarely), but only becuase my old Hex is now too small for me.
    The pisspot fits waay better than the Hex, and feels more solid on my head, with obviously more protection.
    But, obviously its not as well vented, and for that reason, I guess Ill get a XC lid sometime. Plus, I feel a bit of a numpty at trail centres…

Me doing some mincing at GT in a pisspot;

craig1975
    Free Member

pimpmyride – yip it’s a chameleon, I don’t have them hoops on it any more, they ended up on my Full Sus.

I don’t think any one would look like a rodny plonker with the piss pots, can’t say the same for the XC-helmet though! 😀 The one I have is the TSG – Beam

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Aaawhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh……Doddy…….YOU’RE SO CORE!!!

*fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap**fwap*

mamadirt
    Free Member

Fox Transition is nice and light and better ventilated than most pi$$pots but I prefer the styling of my current lid – Bell Faction – slightly heavier but doesn’t seem quite so bulky and has less of a military helmet look about it. I’ve worn pi$$pots for x/c for years (don’t go fast enough to overheat 😉 ) and there’s the added bonus of a bit more protection on the jumpy stuff/downhills.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

So what’s wrong with a 661 mullet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Who wears a pisspot for XC riding?’ is closed to new replies.