Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 249 total)
  • Who was banned today?
  • …homosexuals are more feminine than us manly males…

I’m going out now. I expect this thread to be locked as well by the time I get back.

wwaswas

O.k, So maybe I should say generally more feminine.

Maybe what you shoudl say is;

“Generally, a representative cross section of the male population”

?

philconsequence
    Free Member

elfins being ageist, take offence and report him.

think the point elfins trying to make is that your comment could be read as a pretty immature point of view and a massive generalisation based on a stereotype about homosexual males… with age that view will hopefully change. i hope you dont take offence at this comment dude 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    R.lepecha

think the point elfins trying to make is that your comment could be read as a pretty immature point of view and a massive generalisation based on a stereotype about homosexual males… with age that view will hopefully change. i hope you dont take offence at this comment dude

I understand what you are saying in full there phil. Just I have come to that conclusion from the homosexuals I have known and do know.

Saying that I also know some that are not feminine.

I cant edit that post, bugger. I didn’t think about it in its entirety when I was typing it, my bad.

Drac

Right this thread is turning bad.

The thread in question may have started as humour but still humour that we received complaints about and as mentioned not something STW wants to be seen to promote. What jokes any of us make down the pub or with mates don’t necessarily work in all environments this is one of them.

We received several complaints about the thread and the original posters attitude, he was warned and yet continued. We had no choice but to ban him for a set time as we believed he would continue his unwelcome humour.

wwaswas

It’s nice to hear that the delightful Mr Fuller is continuing his rantings via email to stw’s owners.

I can’t imagine why he thinks associating brands like Dakine, Transition Bikes, Electra etc with anti homeosexual posts on forums is a ‘good thing’ but it’s clearly a marketing strategy that he feels is a winner.

Making threats to magazine owners is a bit of an odd thing to do as well – I realise that the relationship is symbiotic on the reviews/adverts front but why wind people up for no reason?

El-bent
    Free Member

but why wind people up for no reason?

It shows that you can somehow get to the top of the tree in you chosen profession and still be an idiot.

damo2576
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say he is top of the tree, just runs a small distributor.

Clearly a bit mad mind.

damo2576
    Free Member

My Dakine hydration bag valve is always leaking too.

winterfold
    Free Member

If you think you know GRF based on what he posts on forums, then…

… you don’t know GRF.

homophobic – it’s the last thing he is. He does like to wind-up prissy straights though.

wwaswas

winterfold – if he adopts a persona on here that’s anti-gay it doesn’t matter who or what he is in ‘real’ life he’ll be judged by what he posts.

Following it up emailing abuse at stw staff doesn’t seem to be the best way to prove it was a joke, either?

Maybe saying ‘look it was a joke and I took it too far’ and taking the banning on the chin would have been a more mature response?

scaredypants

It’s nice to hear that the delightful Mr Fuller is continuing his rantings via email to stw’s owners

How do we know this ?

SiB
    Free Member

I didnt know I was gay, I love my spd’s

Some people can take a ‘joke’ and wind up better than others, some people can laugh it off, some will be offended, some will add fuel to the fire, some will object and get involved, others will sit back and find it hard to belive how some people react (im one of these…life far too short to bicker and argue about such cr@p like this although it is amusing reading the posts)and some just couldn’t care in the slightest (me too)………but keep it up, good read on a wednesday morning

wwaswas

How do we know this ?

there’s been some twitterings.

scaredypants

any linkage WW?, or doesn’t twitter work like that

either way, 🙄 all round

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I really can’t see how people don’t see what was posted as offensive. I don’t mean that I am necessarily offended by the apparent homophobia, I’m not getting offended on behalf of someone else, but I find the sentiments offensive to my sensibilities. What about terms like ‘****’ ‘coon’ ‘****’. If someone uses those terms am I a being a ‘guardian reader’ because I am not of one of the ethnic minorities referred to like that, yet find the use of those terms offensive?

pastcaring
    Free Member

i thought this thread was locked?

or was it just opened so wwaswas could tell us what a bad boy GRF has been? 🙄

wwaswas

I thought it was locked as well before I searched but it’s miraculously been ‘unlocked’ and nowt to do with me.

If it was just an ‘average’ stw member I wouldn’t have posted – it’s the fact that he was openly posting dubious stuff as MD of a largish company and then chose to get all antsy when challenged.

damo2576
    Free Member

You can see Marks tweets

damo2576
    Free Member
    nickf
    Free Member

A muppet of the first order.

Unfortunately, I’ll now associate Dakine with a ranting tosser. Nothing to do with the product quality, I accept.

Perhaps all publicity isn’t good?

scaredypants

For me, at least, it was like listening to a small child whose big brother had just taught them to say something rude. Attention seeking high-camp OTT attempt to get a reaction. The worst thing you could do is acknowledge it.

I took no offence at the words or the way they were used. He can’t* have meant it, way more likely to be (a shit) parody. Nobody** would be influenced by it to think differently about gay people, or spd users, so why would I be upset by it ?

* and ** – Exceptions to this must surely be endangered species due to inability to remember to breathe periodically and thus not of concern

re “**** etc” – offensive to me only in context, ie used as pejorative. I wouldn’t use them now, but I managed eeny meeny when I was a kid without hating anyone.

pastcaring
    Free Member

this forum is funny, open hostility and bullying are tolerated but someone obviously taking the piss isn’t?

if people reported him for taking the piss, maybe i should of reported the R.lepecha for abusing southerners and people who grew up on council estates? but found his adolescent indignation rather funny!

there was some great come backs from others and was a funny thread. beats what tyre for… any day!

PC gone mad!

Trekster

xiphon – Member
    Just read that dog/spd thread in question – are people really that sensitive??

CharlieMungus – Member
    I really can’t see how people don’t see what was posted as offensive

Never been the on the receiving end of bullying ❓ 👿

winterfold
    Free Member

wwaswas – if you want to judge people by their online persona – by and large a fiction – then that’s your bag. Based on forums I would expect most people to be cocks – but meeting people in the real world suggests (mostly) they are not. I think it’s always worth having that at the back of your mind.

The various ‘extreme’ sportists Interwebs and their fat middle-aged inhabitants giving themselves the big ‘I am’ are by and large ridiculous and need more GRFs poking fun at their online presence, not fewer.

Just out of curiosity – lots of threads go on about ‘mincing’ and stuff like ‘jeycore niche’ – is that kind of homophobia-lite OK? It seems to be perfectly Ok to be really rude to people on here.

winterfold
    Free Member

pastcaring – I agree – there are some great double standards in evidence.

If people don’t like his posts, then don’t buy his handbags. Simples.

R.lepecha

if people reported him for taking the piss, maybe i should of reported the R.lepecha for abusing southerners and people who grew up on council estates? but found his adolescent indignation rather funny!

I was not offending anyone on council estates, I was merely stating the information I have concluded about council estates from my years of living.

Although I was offensive to southerners. Though that is also info I have gained from my years of living.

pastcaring
    Free Member

very well put winterfold

GRF doesn’t live to far from me. if we ever meet i’ll buy him a handbag! er i mean a pint 😀

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’d say his (alleged) comments since the ban are far more condemning than the original idiot-on-a-forum posts he made.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I really can’t see how people don’t see what was posted as offensive
    ….
    Never been the on the receiving end of bullying

What? Just to be clear, I do see it as offensive. I can’t see how others don’t.

Chris-S
    Free Member

Too far to Soon !

I guess GRF just didn’t check out the Vibe of STW. Easily done!

Coming from where he used to ‘play’ everyone knew him and I guess deep down ‘probably’ actually like him, but then he has been around that industry forever so no-one took his comments at face value.

No doubt he’ll be back though!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I was merely stating the information I have concluded about council estates from my years of living.

Although I was offensive to southerners. Though that is also info I have gained from my years of living

Generalising from limited information and limited experience is one of the most common sources of misconceptions and one of the most common expressions of ignorance.

R.lepecha

Generalising from limited information and limited experience is one of the most common sources of misconceptions and one of the most common expressions of ignorance.

Agreed.

Although I would have thought the the views I stated, the southern softies one specifically is more known than people who ride with SPD’s are gay, so it is more likely to be taken as a joke? is it not?

winterfold
    Free Member

R.lepecha – I think he took that one hook line and sinker. nicely done.

pastcaring
    Free Member

R.lepecha – Member
    I was not offending anyone on council estates, I was merely stating the information I have concluded about council estates from my years of living.

Although I was offensive to southerners. Though that is also info I have gained from my years of living.

16 year old mountain biker from Leeds

says it all really, maybe you need to live a few more years? get some real life experiences?
    you know travel, meet people from different places/backgrounds…

maybe that will stop you writing crap on the internet!

R.lepecha

you know travel, meet people from different places/backgrounds…

I know people from down south, many of them. My girlfriend lives on a council estate.
    Some of my friends are from council estates….

winterfold
    Free Member

It’s interesting to read Mark’s tweets – I already knew GRF could be a nob – but it would seem he’s alone.

Mark

When you post on any forum it’s important to realise that although you may think you are engaging in a closed conversation with your friends, who may or may not know you, that you are in reality broadcasting to the general public at large. In our case the numbers of readers of your posts are potentially huge! You must always assume that your posts will be taken at face value. You should never assume that ‘people who know me know I don;t actually mean that’ is an adequate excuse for behaving in a way that will offend.

On here you are not engaging in a closed conversation, you are broadcasting your views and statement publicly. I like to equate it to the difference between sharing a rude joke with your mates round a table in the pub and standing on the bar and shouting it out to the entire pub. You would expect that of the two situations the latter would demand a greater sense of self moderation.

clubber
    Free Member
    R.lepecha

I very much agree mark. My comments were offensive. Although if I was banned for it I would not follow it up, I would just move on.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 249 total)

The topic ‘Who was banned today?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts