Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Who runs their own business
  • flip
    Free Member

Yes i'm self employed, i've only been trading a short time but have lots of work. I love the variety and meeting people and the flexible hours.

My overheads are low as i offer a service, and i've got no mortgage, if i had the pressure of the latter it would be stressful 😐

My wife has her own LTD company so she has helped me loads, i couldn't have done it without her.

I'd say to anyone do it, but think hard about your market.

Philby

I've been a sole trader doing management consultancy for the charity and social enterprise sectors (now renamed by the ConDems as "Civil Society")and also public sector agencies for 9 years.

Like most jobs there are some positives – making a difference for a client – and some frustrations – having to put tenders in for most pieces of work including many really small contracts. It can be quite lonely (and distracting) working on your own and at home. On the flip side it gives you the flexibility to spend some time watching the Tour de France or popping out for a late afternoon ride for example.

I also do two different voluntary roles both of which provide a lot of personal satisfaction (and also give me credibility in my consultancy work).

I think the next couple of years could be quite tough as public sector funding is reduced – although there may be opportunities for small consultancies such as myself who don't have all the overheads of the larger corporate firms. Onwards and upwards!

molgrips
    Free Member

What industries are you lot working in then?

oldgit
    Free Member

Electrical supplies to tradesmen, industry, commercial and anything that comes under local authorities, councils schools etc.

Edit; Basically I buy loads of stock and let people take it away without paying for it, and hope they do 30 days later, or 60 days or 90 days.

user-removed
    Free Member

Self employed as a photographer. Found myself out of a job due to a radial nerve palsy about ten years ago – had to move back to my folk's house, sign on and sit about for almost a year until accupuncture (and time?) made my arm work again.

It was a blessing in disguise as I was debt free – I started off with a totally blank slate to write ideas on. Followed 'The Dream', went to uni and got a (mostly worthless) degree in fine art photography, spent a year waiting for the world to beat a path to my door and finally took it seriously, attended loads of business start up courses and became a full time social photographer.

Was helped by having a very patient and understanding partner (later wife) in full time well paid employment.

NZCol

I run 1 business ft and hold equity in 2 others. The main one has 9 staff which can be problematic in itself. I've built and sold one already. Must admit I'm struggling just now, doing it yourself while rewarding takes a lot of extra effort and stress. Yep it has it's rewards but an easy life may beckon for me as I have almost had enough of fighting all the time. As others have said you need to know why you are doing it and have some experience in the field to make it fly in my opinion.

woodsman
    Free Member

Me http://www.peterflynnclassiccars.com 20 years I wouldn't have it any other way – not that I would have much of a choice after all this time! If I did it for the money I would have given up years ago!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Woodsman – I bet that is the sort of job you really don't mind getting up for in a morning – sounds a perfect way to make a living to me.

If my business ever made me enough that I could buy a nice 4 bed detached house with a garden/vegetable patch and no mortgage, I would love to do something like that from the garage.
    😀

badnewz
    Free Member

I started and sold an internet business when at uni. Since dabbled about, now do some consultancy freelance, it's ok but I've had no new ideas.

nicemonkey
    Free Member

I was in a well paid job and took the scary step to go freelance. I set up my own illustration company http://www.nicemonkey.co.uk, I must say without the back up and support from my girlfriend it would have been very hard. Now its established I just wouldn't go back to working for someone else…with this great weather I can take full advantage of it and go out on my bike without having to answer to anyone. Speaking of which I am just about to hit the trails now 😆

woodsman
    Free Member

m_f anyone who knew me would laugh at your comment about mornings! I'm definatetly not an early morning person, but then I don't have to be – the boss is very understanding!! 😉

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yep, self employed photographer.
    Was the manager in a bike shop for 8 years but did my photography as a part time thing but along came the time to make the decision-steady job, or jump for it & hope for the best.
    Scariest thing I've ever done. Still very early days & working more hours than ever, but well worth it & the work load is steadily increasing.
    More to do with the lifestyle I wanted more than anything else & I've now got my cycling back as a sport I love rather than a 6 day a week job!

brassneck

<rubs thighs at the Elan on woodsman's site>

😀

I don't think I could hand them back after that much work!

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of, it's a new thing branching out from my mates Dads accountancy company. Me and said mate are only just out of uni and are trying to get our own little business going doing cheap + easy websites/photography/promo videos for local sole traders. Got quite a big client base to work from (clients from the main accounts bit) so hopefully can get a bit going. tbh I can't see myself doing it for very long though, I hate web design and living in this area of England!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Who runs their own business’ is closed to new replies.