Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • who rides with shifter windows still attached?
  • I've always ridden with windows and still have them on one bike. Does anyone really never look at their cassette to verify which gear they're in when they don't have an indicator? Seriously?

I've recently removed the windows from my XT shifters, for the only reason that I needed to shift my Hope Tech levers inboard.

DezB
    Free Member

Here's a picture of my bike. This is a little while ago, so it's not the same now.
    There are gear indicators in this photograph.

psling
    Free Member

I'm still running XT combi brake/gear levers with the windows on. Will I go faster if I cut the windows off?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Harry_the_Spider

Me. But i'm not very gnarr, stoked etc and my shifters are only "cheapo".

However, if I borrowed my wife's bike and altered it in anyway I would wake up to find my goolies (quite rightly) in a jar by the bed.

Is the colour of your GFs bike OK or are you going to have it resprayed for the period of the loan? 😉

uplink
    Free Member

Does anyone really never look at their cassette to verify which gear they're in when they don't have an indicator? Seriously?

I never do – what's the point?
    If the gear feels right for what I'm doing, it is – if it doesn't, it's not & I'll change up or down till it does

specializedneeds

X7 with the indicator in the band. Inside, outside, run 'em where you like. I have one for the rear and X9 for the front – I know which ring I'm in mostly and you can always feel if there is another one with the paddle rather than look anyway.

Brakes on the inside for maximum leverage (with my middle finger) and the shifter paddles in the sweet spot.

specializedneeds

I use the indicator so that I know when I'm in fifth and should be changing to the big ring – rather than crossing too much or finding that big jump in ratio that ruins cadence when you shift into the big ring too late.

I do seem to use the big ring much more since I built a singlespeed as my second bike – the SS has improved my pedalling style (round & round rather than up & down) and strength alot.

alpin
    Free Member

nha, colour is fine. it's my old bike so i can't complain too much about the colour.

i never use the window thingies as i generally know what gear i'm in; kept simpler as i've only two rings up front.

i thought most people rode sans windows…. obvioulsy not. [-]gnar.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I didnt know anyone seriously cared apart from wierdo weight weenies trying to shed about 10 grams

alpin
    Free Member

nowt to do with weight. my HT weighs 14.4kg….!

firestarter
    Free Member

mamadirt not that i can see on mine i think they came on the year after mine . mine are 07 iirc xt ones but ive took them off before and not seen any covers unless they are hidden away somehow

mamadirt
    Free Member

Mick – I removed mine so that I could run the brake lever inboard and almost put it back on when I saw the gaping hole that was left, then noticed the little STX logo'd disc tucked underneath the part I'd taken off . . . looks like this.

firestarter
    Free Member

mama i certainly didnt see anything like that in my windows but i will have another look i think later 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘who rides with shifter windows still attached?’ is closed to new replies.