• This topic has 59 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Who rides in this weather then?
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

I love this weather! I didnt want to ride my bike on my days off anyway.

RUBBISH!!!!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I couldn’t bring myself to ride to work today was chucking it down and really cold. I dont mind either in isolation but being wet and cold and putting wet gear on to ride home is not fun.

Will ride on tomorrow rain or shine though.

fairhurst
    Free Member

I tend to ride the canal towpaths when its like this.Although i do ride them often anyway.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a bit of rain. No bad weather only bad clothing eh!

will
    Free Member

If you can dry stuff after your ride/commute then no issues really. Personally I like riding in the rain, just have to be a little extra careful with grip etc…

z1ppy

yes, I was the only one out last night of a normal group of 4.. for good reason.
    Local wet sand turned into a bog, with wheel sucking abilities.
    Then it pee’d it down 2/3 of the way round.
    TBH I didn’t mind except for the sand, but then it’s only the 2nd time since the start of winter I’ve needed to use my waterproof shorts.

Junkyard
    Free Member

wind is the enemy the amount of precipitation or temperature does not bother me that much but the wind does annoy me

nbt

I was out last night with a couple of guys from work. It was dull when we set off but the rain came in and just kept getting harder. We all commented that if we hadn’t actually made arrangements we wouldn’t have set out, but having got out we were all enjoying it. I totally PWN3D the trails, then we all anjoyed a nice beer afterwards. Riding rocks.

atlaz
    Free Member

This time last year I rode in torrential rain in Swinley because it was a mate’s birthday and we’d said we would. Ruined 25 quids worth of pads, ended up with about a ton of grit in the car and washing machine but I enjoyed the ride so it was worth it.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Went out for a spin on the road today in a whole lot of rain. Once your wet it doesn’t really matter because you can’t get any wetter. It wasn’t raining when I initially went out which makes a difference.

bentudder

I’m working, and I rode my bike. Mind you, when I get home, and am not working, I may ride my bike too. For fun, like.

binners

Living in the north west of England, I either ride in the rain, or hope I’m free on the 2 afternoons a year when its dry.

I agree with rich though. Climbing into soggy gear for the return journey home is a uniquely spirit-crushing experience. I lamed out from riding in this morning as it was bucketing down 🙁 May pop out later though. looks like its drying up 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

Have done 4 hours on the road today……got soaked on 3 separate occasions.Was a little bit cheesed off by the end.

clubber
    Free Member

Oddly I quite enjoy riding in torrential rain – maybe moreso on road than off (I know, not logical).

GHill

Quite nice in Glasgow today, excellent riding weather.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

totally – ride last night, awesome; commute today – shorts and that still wet for the journey home, still awesome

🙂

kimbers

me i ride 10 miles each way 5 days a week regardless of weather, just need reliable kit and 2 pairs of shoes!

no matter how grim it is out there its always preferable to the tube at rush hour

soobalias
    Free Member

thursday night ride meets at 1830

not up for it at all, its been either pissing it down or torrential all day (and yesterday) so the chilterns will by now be a claggy swamp.

soaked by the time i get to the meet, churn about for an hour or so, getting wetter and muddier, flood the pub, further drenching on the way home…..

hmmm

RustySpanner

Might as well just get on with it.

We had hail, rain and proper sunshine within a couple of hours on the Pennine BW on Sunday.
    Colder than a witches fridge, too.

Rained and snowed off the tops in Wales few weeks ago so cheekied our way along the Anglesey Coastal Path.
    Always worth it once you’re out.

Haze

Don’t mind getting caught in it but I don’t bother if it’s pissing down.

I ride regular enough to not feel like I should be getting out, that said I’ll swap Sunday’s road ride for a blast in the mud if it’s still looking bleak.

ransos
    Free Member

Can’t bear changing into soggy clothing so I have good waterproofs and boots for the commute. I’m doing a night ride from London to the coast tomorrow – could be interesting.

kimbers
    galactus
    Free Member

Don’t like setting out when it’s raining.
    It’s a different story when your already out and committed!
    Had sunshine,hail plus cold wind and rain on Dartmoor yesterday but no fog!…so almost normal weather then 🙂

airbus387
    Free Member

Nice weather in glasgow.Come a little to the east of glasgow(falkirk area).i was out on the trails up the back of slamanon/avonbridge at about midday and the rain was coming down like stair rods.For the last few hours i have had the washing machine and tumble dryer going full chat.And cleaning the bike and making dinner b4 the wife comes home but it was worth it.lol 😀 I JUST LOVE MUD

s
    Free Member

Huge clap of lighting here overhead today, had me wobbling for a second, rain I can do by itself, but when the wind and rain against you its horrid!

fasthaggis

wind is the enemy the amount of precipitation or temperature does not bother me that much but the wind does annoy me

Yup, same here .
    But ,nothing ( almost) stops the Thursday night ride. 😀

Dry just now ,so with the rain over the last couple of days ,it’s going to be just right 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

Just got back. Totally soaked-through but still warm. Thrown a few logs on the burner, hung-up the dripping clothes and just run a bath. I guess it would be a lot less appealing if I had to sit in an office or something for a few hours but coming back to a nice warm home after such weather is bliss…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I did 4 hours too on the roadie (the trails are a bit like Glasto on a good day)
    I looked out this morning and it was peeing down, thought ahhh what the heck, put on my rain jacket checked my sanity and off I went, roughly 3 drenches later and I still had a smile on my face.

I don’t normally like riding in the rain, try to avoid it, but the guys on the Giro Del Trentino had a splatter or two the other day so hey, whats good for the pro’s is bonkers for us right.

stewart4444
    Free Member

Been out in Chopwell woods last night and on saturday. both in the rain.
    was good fun.
    completly caked in mud. cleaning after is a git.

as said earlier, and is why i like forests, wind is the total nightmare.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Although forecast rain it hasn’t appeared yet today, could’ve gone out earlier for an all dayer, was umming and ahhing looking out the window. Just went and did my local *cough* “training” roadie laps, and still hasn’t rained. gah!

Bunnyhop

One of life’s pleasures is having a hot shower after shivering in wet riding clothes and getting cold because a head wind won’t let you go fast enough to warm up.

fairhurst
    Free Member

I certainly think that its ones duty not to ride off road when its like this so as not to cause more trail erosion than necessary

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Had to fix a puncture in the pouring rain on the commute this morning. NOT FUN.

I quite like MTB’ing the rain, so long as its the right sort of slippery surface mud rather than that horrible claggy stuff that jams in the fork crown, still hate the cleaning/maintenance though.

mrdestructo
    loum
    Free Member

Went for a ride yesterday afternoon in the rain.
    Wasn’t at all claggy, more like fast and slippy.
    Nearly came off a couple of times, but it was brilliant fun.
    Differnt to the usual, but good anyway.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I fancied a few loops of my local trail whilst on my days off but couldnt bring myself to face the muddy, sloppy ground.

Maybe next week……….

richardk
    Free Member

First TT of the year tonight, so I’ll be riding. Out and back course, so given the wind, half will be a flier, the rest I’ll be dying on.

My best time in a TT was in the wet, less rolling resistance apparently?

passtherizla
    Free Member

riding for my mates stag do at cannock saturday… that’ll be nice.

oldgit
    Free Member

Not stopped all year, though I’ll go out on my MTB in this weather.
    Crud catchers all round and a jacket sorted. Anyway it’s as dry as a MM.

rOcKeTdOg

Gave in and put the mud tyres back on yesterday, only thing i hate riding in is wind, soul destroying that is, looks like it’s SS weather just to save the wear and tear

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Who rides in this weather then?’ is closed to new replies.