Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • who here has never seen Star Wars?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

id thoroughly reccomend the london film and comic con in june for a fiver it cant be beat…

I’M THERE!

kimbers

cougar hmm cant imagine what might attract you to cosplay…….

Kevevs
    Free Member

loved it when I was 6 years old in The Astra in Colwyn Bay in late 70’s. Massive impression on me and my childhood. Unfortunately we have both aged and life has got a bit more complex. It’s definitely a childhood thing, and it is a point of reference for bods of a certain age. certainly nostalgic. I think Star Wars is what got me into visual things, drawing spaceship battles and stuff, Imagining space worlds with Lego, etc.

watching The Wire boxset all night atm, brilliant as it is, I’ll probably never be as immersed in a fictional universe as I was when I was 6 watching Star Wars.

sarahcoles
    Free Member

I haven’t seen it either. :O

Cougar

cougar hmm cant imagine what might attract you to cosplay…….

I’m a bit cross about that tag actually. I was dressed for a fancy dress party.

molgrips
    Free Member

how anyone can say its not science enough, it has hyperspace, lasers, spaceships etc etc just because it doesnt dwell on the physics doesnt make it less sci-fi

The reason it’s not scifi is that all those sciency things are not actually part of the story. Replace space ships with horses, and planets with cities and the story would be exactly the same. The story does not depend on the science at all.

Compared to say The Culture from Ian M Banks – they are mainly about the fact that the Culture is vastly technologically superior to other societies, so the science is very important to the set-up even though it’s not dwelt on or explained at all.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I think Tie Fighters, X-Wings and the Millennium Falcon are pretty integral to the story.

Oh, and the Death Star.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Tie fighters could just as easily be F16s or cavalry. Doesn’t matter at all to the story.

The Death star is perhaps the only bit of scifi in it, in that they have the power to destroy a planet, but that doens’t really feature. They only use it to extract information from Leia (which I believe is done in other stories without the use of science) and from then on it could be a castle where the baddie lives.

If whizzy space ships make scifi, then surely aeroplanes would do too? Flying machines? So is Top Gun scifi?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

If the Tie Fighters were cavalry then no one would have gone to see it.

Horses can’t breathe in space either, at least I think they can’t.

Now that’s science.

phatstanley
    Free Member

philconsequence
    Free Member

Horses can’t breathe in space either, at least I think they can’t.

Now that’s science.

Molly… you’ve been defeated.

spacemonkey

It all seems pretty inevitable as their granny (my mother in law) has a small part in return of the jedi.

… as an ewok? 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

this is a classic and tops them all,… just brilliant !!!!!!!! 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s the Skywalker family saga. I liked it from the start.

And nerds (smart people who are interested in things) are good. Britain needs more nerds.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molly… you’ve been defeated.

In a fantasty story I’d fall on my sword. I can make it a light sabre if you like and then this can be scifi?

philconsequence
    Free Member

are you saying horses can breath in space?

silly molly 😈

2tyred

My dad took me to see Empire Strikes Back at the cinema when I was five. Terrified the bejesus out of me and we had to leave. Went through the remainder of my childhood disliking Star Wars and anything like that – Dr Who, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, anything vaguely sci fi or fantasy. Enjoyed by weirdos who were crap at football, skating, fighting or anything else useful IME.

As a young adult this very topic came up with a group of my friends, one of whom was aghast at the fact I’d never seen Star Wars and immediately foisted the three videos on me. Despite my misgivings I sat down to watch them (ah how I miss those days pre-kids, pre-work where such free time was available) so I could report back. Thought Star Wars was a bit pish but I can see the appeal for children, thought Empire was ace and Return of the Jedi complete mince. Had I been a fan when Return of the Jedi came out I’d have been miffed.

Then my son was born and upon reaching pre-school age out of nowhere became fascinated with Star Wars so I bought the video second hand off here. Together we wore the tape out, to the point I am now pretty familiar with the whole thing. Still think its rubbish mind, but can see why he loves it and I like the fact I now get a whole load more of the jokes in some of my favourite comedy shows and films.

Best thing about it all though was seeing the brilliant Family Guy take off and getting the ‘well there is one small hole, about the size of a womp rat’ line.

So on the whole, a stupid but harmless load of crap for children. Adults who obsess over it used to be an object of scorn for me, but now I realise its simply nostalgia.

Princess Leia was never that attractive IMO.

spacemonkey

No, of course not …

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get out, now.

Didn’t George Lucas tell Carrie Fisher ‘they don’t have bras in space’? Dirty man.

Nick

Prefer the Anakin ones

That’s wrong that is.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Has anyone read the book ‘Can Horses Breathe in Space?’ by J.J. Binks?

mogrim

It’s a sign of the impact Star Wars has had on popular culture that people are prepared to proudly state they’ve never seen it – probably the same sort of tedious bores that insist on telling you they don’t own a TV…

JohnnyPanic

This whole thread is about a week too late.
    May the fourth be with you.

I’ll get my coat.

+1 for me I have to admit. Only short clips.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Get out, now.

I agree with Winegums. Get out.

So on the whole, a stupid but harmless load of crap for children.

You are so wrong. I won’t even begin to explain hpw wrong you are.

Just get out. Blasphemer…

alpin
    Free Member

looking for inspiration with regards to building a bed and found this……

so, own up…. which one of you is it?

Cougar

Look at the size of that thing!

Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘who here has never seen Star Wars?’ is closed to new replies.