Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Who has an XC race bike?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Do “normal” folk still have light weight XC race bikes or has it all gone to longer travel slack machines? Let’s see your fastest bikes!

njee20
    Free Member

Oooo oooo, pick me, pick me!

Sadly I can’t get onto Flickr from work, so you’ll just have to remember how awesomely fast it looks! If you’re at SiTS at the weekend, you can be reminded in the flesh 🙂

Whether I’m ‘normal’ though, is something else altogether.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I only have a XC race bike. I don’t feel the need for anything else for the areas where I ride.

Just under 9KG with an XT build, light but no weight-weenie

Mister-P
    Free Member

LOL, I thought you might be first on the scene Nick. Not going to SiTS, I am actually having a weekend off after working for 28 of 31 days in July.

Klunk
    Free Member

looking at getting another new bike mrP ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m about to buy one of these…

Is that cheating, in fact is it a race bike??

wwaswas

what defines a cross country race bike?

My 140mm c456 weighs 22lbs…

cp

Here’s mine – it’s very quick and didn’t break the bank. No idea on weight though.

Nobby

njee20 – here’s roughly what your bike looks like to me:

😉

sefton
    Free Member

Old Rocklobster 23lb

new frame 25.5lb

not race but certainly xc

vondally
    Free Member

swedish chef…what model is the trek and does it have bb90 bottom bracket….and if so what bb are you using?

Nobby

xcstu
    Free Member

Here’s njee20 bike at mm :)..

and my hack bike..

and its nick’s fault I bought the xtr brakes!! man they are good 🙂

kiwijohn

Here you go. This has worked it’s way down from the world cup since 95. DBR Axis TT

Rebuilt 3 years ago for the third time since I’ve had. Could shave a few more grams off it, really doesn’t need the granny.
    Fastest bike I’ve ridden.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Awaits fantasy bike weights..

😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

@ Vondally – its a 2011 9.9ssl, I had a 2009 model but the chainstay cracked so I got a new frame through Treks’s lifetime warranty.

It has a tapered headtube which I found surprisingly stiffer than the older model.

Its a BB90 press-fit. I’ve got a spare set of “Enduro mr2437-llb” bearings for it

This is what I’m racing and commuting on at the moment.

Lynskey Ridgeline 29 Rohloff.

onandon
    Free Member

My Merida 96 carbon

njee20
    Free Member

Here’s njee20 bike at mm :)..

Wehay, cheers Stu, looks like I’m going pretty fast too, funny how photos can decieve 🙂

LOL, I thought you might be first on the scene Nick. Not going to SiTS, I am actually having a weekend off after working for 28 of 31 days in July.

Days off? They’re not working you hard enough clearly!

vondally
    Free Member

@
    swedish chef thanks work collegue is just in the process of buying a second hand 9.8 09 vintage but he/the office are struggling to finsd the correct bb to be used with shimano cranks, long shot but do you know if these will work?
    KCNC BB90 Pressfit Bottom Bracket – Gold
    Adapter cups and bearings for pressfit bottom bracket shell. Anodised 7075 alloy cups hold full stainless steel bearings and meet on the middle of the frame shell with o-rings to seal the crank axle and BB bearings. Compatible with Shimano 24mm cranks and KCNC K-type cranks (without insert).

designed for 89.5mm x 41mm and 92mm x 41mm frame shells
    Compatible with KCNC K-Type and Shimano chainsets
    weight : 95g

all help grateful cheers

smoggy
    Free Member

IMAG0228 by smoggy3, on Flickr

Race duty! 🙂

IMAG0917 by smoggy3, on Flickr

For work and back only.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i havent flickered any pics of my bikes but nic can vouche for me when i say i have some very light bikes…my scale is 17.8lb on park tool with c-02 canister 2×10 and tubs.

njee20
    Free Member

@Vondally, no that won’t work, Trek carbon BB90 frames just have drop in bearings, not press-in cups like the alu frames/Lappiere/those above, similar to an integrated vs internal headset.

He just needs to get in touch with any Trek dealer, they can order them. It’s literally 2 bearings and a sleeve. The Shimano bearings are standard and can be picked up anywhere, although I forget the code, Trek aren’t expensive though.

njee20
    Free Member

but nic can vouche for me when i say i have some very light bikes…my scale is 17.8lb on park tool with c-02 canister 2×10 and tubs.

**Grudgingly acknowledges that Bruce’s bikes are very light**

Have to weigh them on my scales, that’ll add a pound or 2! 😉

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

and before you say it, yes, I know the hoses are too long, they are being shortened.

Just have to get fit enough to ride it now. Weight ? No idea, but pretty light.

About 80% of the parts came from off here as well. 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

P6203763 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Rock Lobsta 853. About 27lbs*, without my usual paraphernalia of mudguards, bottle and cage, pump, lights, etc. Comes in around 29lbs then. 😆 Even as a singlespeed!

*Real, not ‘imagined’ weight…

Top ten finisher in an International Mountain Biking Event so shut up.

See those rims Njee? They’re about 550-600g each! 😆

njee20
    Free Member

See those rims Njee? They’re about 550-600g each!

**convulses on the floor**

That means your rims are nearly as heavy as my entire wheelset 😀

vondally
    Free Member

cheers njee20

andrewh
    Free Member

and

Used to have

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

**convulses on the floor**

I knew you’d be impressed! 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got 2 both weigh 21lbs without going stupid ……

Merida flx 3000 frame with sid teams with wc intermals , xtr and carbon bits and xc sp3 on 355s rides well but constantly reminds you its an xc race bike – requires good fitness and bike handling to get the speed it can give

My ragley td-1 is rigid ss and 29er but you can amble on it an it still goes quick and doesnt shout quicker quicker and flog you to death like the merida . Rigid really isnt a hinderance either

Either has to be super steep hills or very flat not before i reach for merida ……

clubber
    Free Member

Google image search “njee trek” and it’s the second pic 🙂

So how many of these XC race bikes get XC raced ?

njee20
    Free Member

Google image search “njee trek” and it’s the second pic

Strangely that’s not mine – I must’ve commented on it or something! Good shout though – it did also come up with a picture of mine further down:

So how many of these XC race bikes get XC raced ?

Yep mine does. Does yours? I thought you did one XC race and commented how fast it was!?

Sam

XC race bike

Racing

Yeah, I think I was 51st/53 or something like that in the 4 lap veterans race. 😳
    Although, in my defence, I think would have been top half in the 3 lap open class. I never realised the old duffers were so fast. 😀
    Anyway, I always think of “XC Racing” as including multi lap marathons like Mountain Mayhem and single loops like Brecon Beast, even if that’s not the strict definition.

njee20
    Free Member

So “who races their bike” would’ve been more accurate, but I’m just being pedantic 🙂

See you Saturday for a non-XC race!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Racing at the Swedish XC championships

JohnJohn
    Free Member

Used to have this (raced it)

now have this (will race it)

That saddle has to go!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Who has an XC race bike?’ is closed to new replies.