Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Who else leaves their seatpost up and just rides.
  • mrvear
    Free Member

Any one here who doesnt adjust there seatpost or has not been conned into buying an expensive post so they can drop it at the hint of a small drop?
    I’m not trolling, just wondering.

jekkyl

yup I just ride but my normal rides are just XC round back lanes, rural roads, canals and cycle paths. If I go to Cannock then I drop my seat at 3 places so could probably use a dropper post although the price and the fact that I use a saddle bag for tools and tube puts me off.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

You have been scammed into buying a seat! If you’re using a seat you are not riding your bike you are just sitting on it. I ride everywhere standing up.

Nobby

Yep.

Did most of the Afan trails last weekend & didn’t die.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t on the bikes which don’t have them. But do on the bike that does.

Your language certainly implies you were after a nice ballanced thread, not being inflamatory for the sake of getting a reaction.

conned into buying an expensive post so they can drop it at the hint of a small drop?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Any one here who doesnt use a pointless front wheel or has not been conned into buying an expensive extra wheel so they can use this skill compensator at the hint of a small drop?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Nope and haven’t for ageas – even before dropper posts I’d always get it out of the way for anything steep or fun. Just feels better to me.

I was pretty anti dropper posts for a long time – too expensive, just another thing to break etc. Then I gave in and bought one and love it.

slowjo
    Free Member

I’m so old skool I didn’t know this was optional. Should I sue my LBS for not telling me? 😉

ritchic
    Free Member

Me I don’t drop mine an I ride some quite steep techs stuff, drop offs, jumps I’ll pretty much point my bars down anything. But seat stays put 1 reason is I tried dropping it and I felt I lost some control as I tend to sometimes grip saddle with legs while standing for some reason

kimbers

Anyone else conned into buying expensive disc brakes and suspension forks and just rides around the trails on their rigid fixie,
    not trolling, just being a passive aggressive Luddite

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Any one here who doesnt use a pointless Frame, forks, handle bars and seat or has not been conned into buying most of a bike so they can use this skill compensator at the hint of a small drop?

sharkattack

I can’t ride the way I want to ride with the saddle brushing my gentleman vegetables.

(Cue predictable pictures of world cup xc racers riding over logs with the saddle up against their sternum)

jam-bo

i just go for a walk these days. it’s all to much of a faff otherwise.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Conned into buying a bike, not trolling, etc

slackalice
    Free Member

Non-dropper seatpost on my winter hardtail, so despite the qr, I rarely adjust it for whatever the trail might be doing.

Having said that, after riding my FS last summer/autumn with a dropper, if I had the available means, I could be easily parted with my hard earned cash to get one for the winter bike 🙂

hexhamstu
    Free Member

On a serious note, this guy:

scruff
    Free Member

Ah, plenty of DH bikes have them on at the PMB DH track.

avdave2

I do

But then again I was years behind on
    Indexed gearing
    Suspension
    Disc Brakes and just about any invention that has appeared on a mountain bike that has worked.

I was however first to the party with such great ideas as the Hite Rite – a good idea but I was (and still am 🙂 ) too light to actually make the saddle go down with my own weight- and the Girvin Flexstem.

nbt

I’m a proud HighPoster. On my “goto” bike, the seatpost is so long thatI could only drop it about half the exposed shaft before it fouled on the seattube kink anyway

ScandAl by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

shortcut

2 maybe 3 times a year I will get the Allen key out to put my saddle down. Last time was at Fort William in May last year.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yup, I have been known to drop it if in some situations where my spuds may become detached but normally it stays up and I hang off. The joys of long legs and gibbon arms.

jonba
    Free Member

I do most of the time. But it does depend.

for example if I go to GT on my own I will set it and leave it. Yet with a group where there is some faff anyway and the ride is shorter I’ll drop it as it makes a difference and gives me the opportunity to throw my bike around a bit more.

Also when ss I’ve been known to just drop it at the start of some rides as it is better down for the descents and when climbing Im stood up anyway.

Can see the merits of the dropper posts but they’re not more me at there current prices and weights.

mrvear
    Free Member

OK so trolling a little, but a luddite I am not. Disc brakes, Susspension, bigger dia bar clamps/bars, tappered headsets, through axles, tubeless tires, long top tubes matched to short stems, different wheel sizes and all that I get. I even kind of get dropper posts, I wont be buying one though and was just asking who else gets on with out adjusting saddle height.

cookeaa

Welcome the 2011/12 MTB forum, light trolling topic of choice…

Next week we’ll go back in time and start complaining about these new fangled “Disc Brakes” I dunno… kids these days 🙄

rOcKeTdOg

In a XC race it’s post up, dicking about in the woods – dropper

roverpig

I wonder if those who never drop or see no benefit in dropper posts have their saddles at the optimal height for seated climbing, or in some “compromise” position anyway.

Both my bikes have droppers and both have a short (~1″) drop “trail” position then the fully dropped position. I’ve noticed that I can ride everywhere with it in trail position. As in, I can get up the climbs and down the other side with the saddle in that position. But it’s not optimal anywhere. My knees complain less on seated climbs with the saddle that 1″ higher and I have more fun going down with it a bit lower.

seosamh77
    Free Member

dont’ have a dropper, but if something overly steep and long is coming up, I’ll get off and adjust the the Qr an inch or 2.

_tom_
    Free Member

I just leave mine down most of the time. Dont really ride much xc or anything so down is the default position! Qr/normal post is fine for me tbh, only would consider a dropper if I could afford a nice “enduro” type bike but for my two bikes (blender and a voltage) it wouldn’t really make sense as they both pedal and climb like crap anyway.

Northwind

I guess this means we’ve exhausted the well of joy that is 650b threads?

rocketman
    Free Member

I wonder if those who never drop or see no benefit in dropper posts have their saddles at the optimal height for seated climbing, or in some “compromise” position anyway.

Yup it’s a compromise.

Years ago I used to ride with the seatpost in full xcj mode but gradually I’ve lowered it until I’ve found a point where it’s not in the way but I can still sit down if I have to and winch up hills

velomanic
    Free Member

Got my post set ‘just right’ for me and it stays put.

I’ve followed people with dropper posts along the same trails and don’t appear to be at any disadvantage.

Horses for courses I guess, my set up works for me, their set up works for them.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

There’s no way I can justify the cash a Reverb costs “on a bloody seat post*”! And besides, I’m not going to become Rachel Atherton overnight!

I would happily buy a “leaves your seatpost up and just rides” sticker 😉

*My wife knows just enough lingo to put up a fight!

carlosg
    Free Member

My seat stays up on the xc bike ,down on the dh bike.Neither ever gets adjusted.

mrvear
    Free Member

I must be lankey enough to leave my post in a good peadling position and have never found it to be a compromise.

ritchic
    Free Member

Nor me never felt I compromise I got it to a point for seated peddling then left it an put my arse over the back tyre if I need to get lower than saddle

dantsw13

For me, it’s not getting backwards that’s the issue with an “up” post, but the ability to properly weight the outside pedal, and keep loose without getting a saddle in my knackers!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Actually recently experimented with rising with seat high and leaving it there. Apart from one occassion where shorts snagged on the seat, there was no problem on steeper stuff and pedalling efficiency went up masses.

My “dropper” post consists of a weak clamp that allows the seat to drop gracefully and gradually up until my legs start to feel it and I notice!!!

mattbee

I find a dropper makes my riding more fun, so I use one. Don’t really care if it makes me faster or not.

iainc

i rode for many years without moving seat up and down, infact on the hardtail it was a bolt job anyway. Natural stuff all over Scotand, various trail centres too, never felt disadvantaged, even on the 5 on bigger stuff.

Sold both bikes last Spring and got a Soul with a reverb – totally transformed things and wouldn’t go back, the converted sceptic if there ever was one 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

There’s generally a jump or two on most of the rides i go on and imo, only a fool would attempt a jumping with the seat at full pedaling height.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Who else leaves their seatpost up and just rides.’ is closed to new replies.