Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Who else leaves their seatpost up and just rides.
  • legend
    Free Member

Ooohhh you can really spot the mincers in this thread 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve adjusted mine about 2mm downwards to give a more relaxed position, thats it, been stuck like that since I bought it/them.

But then I ride CX & XC.

I can see the need for one if you were bouncing around the Moors or Scotlandshire, but other than that they just add weight and look stupid when down, makes you look like you are a an extra out of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. 😉

globalti
    Free Member

I never used to bother, it took too long to drop the post then raise it again. I remember riding down a very steep drop at a NEMBA race at Lyme Park, well off the back of the saddle but still in control when all around me people were walking down.

The only problem with riding off the back was when your SPDs were a bit loose and suddenly let go, causing you to crash forwards and slam your nads on the saddle. No need for you to ask me how I know this!

andytherocketeer

I wonder if those who never drop or see no benefit in dropper posts have their saddles at the optimal height for seated climbing, or in some “compromise” position anyway.

90% of the time set at the right height for “just riding”
    5% of the time it’ll be dropped for a techy descent then put back
    5% of the time it might be in a compromise, where going up/down all day long.

cba with dropper. if i did have one, would it even be safe to clamp the bike stand clamp to it?

crikey
    Free Member

I never bothered, years of riding ‘cross and hardtails meant I felt that something was missing when I dropped the saddle, and I rode worse with it down.

I like dropper posts because they stopped all that stopping at the top to drop then stopping at the bottom to raise from all my mates…

legend
    Free Member

cba with dropper. if i did have one, would it even be safe to clamp the bike stand clamp to it?

Yes

The only problem with riding off the back was when your SPDs were a bit loose and suddenly let go

That and the massively compromised steering from being a mile from the front end

_tom_
    Free Member

Ooohhh you can really spot the mincers in this thread

Is it the people who “need” a dropper post to be able to ride?

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Me. I don’t want to stop and drop my post frequently. Nor do I want the expense (or weight, being a bit of an xc weight weenie) of a dropper post on all of my bikes. Could I ride some technical stuff better with a dropper post? Probably, but I’m happy enough just riding with the post at a fixed height.

monkeyboyjc

Yep – infact just bought a new ‘normal’ seatpost because it was cheap.
    Tried a dropper post for s month or so and went back to a standard as it didnt suit the riding I do other than the one or two times a year I visit a Welsh trail centre.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Most of my riding is in the surrey hills, so no need for a dropper. I may invest in a dropper if we decide on a gnar trip abroad.

I think, if my rides didn’t involve at least a couple of sections where dropping the post wasn’t an advantage, I’d soon get bored of mtb’ing

Northwind

mashiehood – Member

I may invest in a dropper if we decide on a gnar trip abroad.

FWIW I found my dropper least useful in the alps, and most useful in local uppy-downy XC with occasional techy bits- it spent almost the whole time down in france anyway so might as well have been a standard post. It was watching ChrisL smugly waft his way up and down things at Drumlanrig that sold me on the whole scheme, up til then I thought it was just for big bikes and madness.

AlexSimon

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

I think, if my rides didn’t involve at least a couple of sections where dropping the post wasn’t an advantage, I’d soon get bored of mtb’ing
    Yep, this. I bought a cross bike to try and make these type of rides more enjoyable (or at least quicker)

seadog101

No dropper for me. Don’t fancy the additional weight, and another complicated piece of kit to look after.

I can see their use, and how they can help, but I think it’s rider and where/what you ride that determines the need for one.

maxtorque

The more “do it all” your main bike is, the more a dropper can help.
    Clearly for an XC race bike or a full fat DH bike, neither need a dropper. But your trail/AM/Enduro/whatever-it’s-called-this-week bike really becomes flexible with a decent dropper imo!

I have a dropper, simply because it means i ride more, and push/walk/carry less. Simples 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t have one, never tried dropping my saddle, not been an option on my last couple of bikes anyway. Would fit one on a ‘trail’ type bike for sure, and I expect them to make inroads into XC type bikes too.

grum
    Free Member

I drop my saddle – usually at the same time during the ride that I put on my helmet.

If you don’t drop your saddle, why are you bothering to wear a helmet, hmmm? You clearly don’t care about your own safety. 😉

Houns

Me

The only time in the last year that I dropped my saddle was before the down hill runs at BPW. 5 seconds at the top and 5 seconds at the bottom to raise it again, I’ll keep my £200 to spunk on something else I don’t need instead thank you

oxym0r0n

Stays here all the time… but I am in the process of booking a holiday abroad 😐

IMG_0632 by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

singlespeedstu

The only time in the last year that I dropped my saddle was before the down hill runs at BPW. 5 seconds at the top and 5 seconds at the bottom to raise it again

You could have saved 10 seconds per run by putting your seat down at home and getting on the uplift bus. 😀

BPW is the only place i’ve not used a dropper post this year.

mrvear
    Free Member

Well I ride cross country and live in the lakes so does that mean I ride all mountain? But I like riding up mountains and then across them and down them so maybe its enduro. Any way the riding on my doorstep is far from dull.

atlaz
    Free Member

Trail bike has a dropper, HT has never had the saddle dropped, park bike has never had the saddle up.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Who else leaves their seatpost up and just rides.’ is closed to new replies.