Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Hi

I am trying to think of ways in which to take advantage of this amazing weather and great trail conditions locally and wondered what the uptake might be on an evening pub ride in the area?

I always see groups in Cademan woods and Thringston and thought it would be great to try and establish a group to try and get the most out of the small amount of trails we have here.

I was hoping we could club together and think up a decentish distance route and maybe finish up at the Rag n Mop (Man Within Compass) which is litterally accessed through the wood.

Hopefully someone replies 😀

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve been frequenting this area again of late after years of not going there.
    It’s surprisingly good although not that big but last few times there have been an increasing number of f*cktards ripping the place up on their motorbikes – scaring the shit out of walkers and bikers alike.
    That’s mostly been on Sundays so not sure whether they’re out in the evenings…

I’m up for a get together in principle – the Man Within Compass is the logical watering hole and it’s quite a nice pub…let’s see what transpires from this thread… 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

I’m in Derby and moving to south side of Derby next week that theoretically puts me within pedalling distance via the Cloud Trail, have ridden around that area a few times with a mate from down that way

vdubber67
    Free Member

Rag n Mop? You can tell you’re a local! 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m in!

Live in S. Leics but work in Enderby and have yet to venture round Cademan/Thringstone.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Scandal42, were you one of the chaps we saw on Thursday night in Cademan woods?

scandal42
    Free Member

Apologies for not checking the thread, delighted to see a few replies 🙂

Don’t think it was me on Thursday, I was out and about but went Bardon hill way rather than Cademan.

And yes I am rather local (cademan St) 😉

aa
    Free Member

sounds like a plan. I’m up for it.

fathomer

Didn’t see this before, I’m in Leicester so date n time dependent I’ll come over.

rascal
    Free Member

C’mon Scandal…pull your finger out and sort a time and date 😉

aa
    Free Member

were any of you guys the pair i saw this evening at castle garage?

RobHilton
    Free Member

C’mon Scandal…pull your finger out and sort a time and date

Agree 🙂

chamberlain30
    Free Member

I’d be in, had a pootle through on Monday night nice and dry great ride except for some knobbers on a crosser, also very local, Brooks Lane

scandal42
    Free Member

Sorry guys, I’m really busy with work at the moment, can I pass the organisation onto one of you very capable chaps? I don’t mind helping just struggling to find the time at the moment.

rascal
    Free Member

As Scandal’s a busy boy at the mo I’ll try and sort something…

There will be 2 or 3 of us up that way tomorrow (Sunday).

If anyone’s interested we’ll be by the benches at the top car park of Cademan Woods on Swannymote Road at 3pm. I’ll be on a black Commencal Meta accompanied by an orange Soul and a white 5 – feel free to join us – it will probably involve a few runs down through the woods to Grace Dieu and if someone knows of stuff they want to share then all the better.

A beer or 2 in the Man Within Compass will happen so don’t forget your beer tokens – participation in this bit is voluntary 😉

Would be good to meet a few local-ish riders – come and say ‘hi’ if you fancy it.

Cheers

fathomer

rascal, thanks for the offer, unfortunately I’m bust this afternoon so will have to give it a miss this time. Keep us posted though, as like you say it’d be would be good to meet some local-ish riders!

alanl
    Free Member

I’m in for this, probably not next week if it’s a Sunday, as I’m shooting.
    Actually Sunday afternoon is always a bad time for me, GF wants me then!
    How about an evening?
    I’m in Derwent Valley ATC, and they go out every Tuesday. Started with 5 or 6 riders over the Summer about 10 years ago, now it’s a year round thing, with up to 30 turning up, typically 15-20.
    Also gives an excuse to get a decent light.
    The only trouble for me is the travelling, it used to be an hours drive to Ripley, now takes 1.5 hours, so something more local would be good – I’m in Blaby.

rascal
    Free Member

I’ll be up for an evening ride but it’s tricky to commit 100% because of work – I never finish at 5.30 (even though I’m supposed to).
    I was going up today anyway so thought it might get the ball rolling (or tyres even!) by mentioning it.
    No probs if you can’t make it – there’ll be other times.

Cheers

alanl
    Free Member

Ok, how about a Tuesday or Wednesday evening, meet around 7:15, for depart about 7.30?
    maybe 1.5 hours to 2 hours?
    I can’t do this week as I’m away, but the week beginning 5th Aug is good for me.

DVATC do a different area each week,in a radius of around 20 miles, so there is a rota of around 8 routes, some hard, some easy, all start and finish close to a pub.

asbrooks

An evening ride sounds good to me, earlier the better as I travel to and from south Derbyshire from Leicester along the A511. I don’t really want to go home to go back.
    I usually ride at Hicks Lodge after work (5.30ish) on Wednesdays/Thursdays, does get a bit boring so a ride elsewhere would make a nice change.

rascal
    Free Member

As I suspected, just the 3 of us turned up.
    Eventually accompanied by the usual f*cktards on their motorbikes, although it was a case of hearing them and not seeing them. Really overgrown in there at the mo – the stinging of the nettles/brambles/branches strikes was numbed by the Hobgoblin in the man Within Compass though 🙂

haydnw
    Free Member

I’d be up for an evening or weekend, work permitting – will be coming from just north of Loughborough, so Thringstone area works for me.

alanl
    Free Member

OK, Who’s up for next Wednesday 7th Aug?

Anytime after 5pm is good for me.

dannyh
    Free Member

A bit out of the blue, but I’d be up for a blast around cademan or similar next wed.

Prob can’t start much earlier than 6.15 pm, but if there’s a few going, then I’d like to tag along.

If you use this thread to put the details then that would be great. Do I need to charge the lights?

fathomer

I’m about next Wednesday, 6 onwards for me.

rascal
    Free Member

I’ll try and make that – more like 6.30 for me though…

haydnw
    Free Member

Next Wednesday sounds good. I’m fairly flexible on time.

alanl
    Free Member

I’m in, does 6.30 sound about right then?
    Where?
    I havent been there before, so a pointer to a meeting place would be good.
    Thanks
    Alan.

aa
    Free Member

i’ll try and make it. I struggle to get out before 8ish, but i’ll mooch around the likely spots!

dannyh
    Free Member

It looks like my workload is going to be ok, so I am 95% certain I can make this Wednesday. Is the ‘meet’ going to be the Swannymote Road car park at 6.30pm? I’ll probably be there a bit before that, so might ride into the woods for a bit before going back to the car park for 6.30.

I assume we’re not riding on until dark, so I’m not going to bother with lights. Just a couple of hours riding in the vicinity then a pint?

Looking forward to doing some local riding in a group, I only tend to ride in a group on away days.

rascal
    Free Member

Sounds good to me.
    Will try my best to get there for 6.30.
    Not bothering with lights – just a couple of hours and a pint for me too.
    What if it’s pissing down? Anyone still going then?

chamberlain30
    Free Member

I’ll try to get a few out 6.30 should be a good crack

rascal
    Free Member

Does anyone know Scandal – the OP?
    Seems a bit daft that he instigated this whole thing yet is nowhere to be seen…or heard 😕
    Kind of feel he should be there…

dannyh
    Free Member

Sorry, don’t know Scandal, so can’t really sort anything. I assume he would read this thread from time to time, though.

No worries about it pissing down, I’ll ride in whatever weather I’m given. It’s only a couple of hours, so won’t be too miserable. Not like being caught out in the wilds in dodgy weather.

I’m away for a week from Friday, sans bike, so Wednesday night is it for me for a few days. As a result I’m riding whatever the weather.

Depending on how quickly we can sort ourselves out, we could do the monastery drop to Blackbrook, or the quarry drop to Whitwick. Or both! I’m also interested in gracedieu wood past the main brick bridge over the brook. I’ve never really been further in than that, I like the sound of this viaduct!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, though, a quick blast will be a laugh no matter what.

alanl
    Free Member

I’ll be there too, whatever the weather.
    Alan.

fathomer

I’ll be there, 6.30 in the carp park, which I assume is roughly here?

twonks

If you see a fat git on a blue SC superlight (normally going far too slow up the hills), then please feel free to shout hello 🙂

I live and ride in Coalville but don’t often get home in time for night rides.

dannyh
    Free Member

Fathomer.

Yes, that’s the car park I’m going to anyway!

Weather looks ok for tomorrow evening, so should be good.

fathomer

Cool, see you there!
    Sam

rascal
    Free Member

Hopefully gonna make it for 6.30 but might be running late.
    Can one of you guys who are def going WITH a mobile give me your number so I can call you to find out exactly where you are – if you don’t mind?

Cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.