Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • White Industries freewheel – do they wear?
  • Militant_biker

So I notice my Uno ring is a looking a bit worn, and the chain is getting loose pretty soon after each tightening, so I’ve ordered an Alu chainring from Homebrewed. (cheaper than Middleburn :))

Is there any way to check if the Ti teeth on the White Industries freewheel are worn? On the geared bikes, I replace the whole shebang in one go, but I figure this should last longer than a cassette and they look fine.

Del

guess you couldn’t flip the middleburn’s chainring over then?
    guess you’re talking about a WI ENO ss freewheel? teeth are stainless on those.
    when did you last replace your chain? both the chainring and the freewheel should outlast a good few chains, even those of high quality.

Militant_biker

Nah – the chainring is offset. Thought about getting a Homebrewed Ti. ring upfront; they are inline, so would need a new BB, and I like the super narrow setup I have currently.

Yeah – WI ENO singlespeed. Oh, always thought they were Ti… 😳 Don’t know why I thought that…

Chain was last replaced with a PC1 Nickel in October, probably done about 1000-1200 dry miles on it since then, but now it’s pulling away from the ring a little bit again. I’ll get the chain checker on it when I’m next at the shop. I think it’s the 3rd chain that chainring has had, and probably the 4th the freewheel has had.

Thanks

crazy-legs

The teeth do wear yes, I had to replace mine recently. Quite cheap though, you can just buy the outer teeth part and slide it on to the original freewheel unit.

Militant_biker

That’s good to know crazy-legs – thanks!

Del

all the necessary parts to refurb the WI can be bought from sideways cycles. very quick, efficient service IME.
    the middleburn’s teeth will be pretty tall. you can run that thing until it’s hooked as hell. you’re using pretty cheap chain, and the big chainring ‘should’ wear more slowly than the teeth on the WI, so long as you keep refreshing the chain you shouldn’t get through bits too quickly.

Militant_biker

Thanks Del, any suggestions for a better chain? I’ve always run PC1s and been happy with them.

Del

well, i use izumi super toughness. you did ask. 😉
    you can carry on using the PC1s, but just run a few off ’em, and switch them out every few months. in other words buy three, keep the other two hanging on a nail, then pull the first, put that on the back of the nail, fit the second, and so on. that way wear will even out over the chains, and you won’t wear the cogs so much, as it’s the chain elongating that causes a lot of the wear.

Militant_biker

Cheers for the recommend. That’s one pimpin’ chain – but probably more £££ than I want to spend/be able to justify to the wife…

Del

LOL! fair enough! i just figure, surly ‘ring ~ 30 quid, WI FW ~ 45 quid ( bought in the US, as i can ), so may as well fit something commensurate. i don’t flip those chains over very often. if you bought something like a pc971 ( like i run on my FS ), and bought 3 of ’em, or even three of your PC1s…

Militant_biker

Having said that, after doing a bit of trawling on intertubes (“PC1s are shit!”, “KMCs are shit!”) I’ve ordered me an Izumi… Eco.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘White Industries freewheel – do they wear?’ is closed to new replies.