Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Which set of Hex wrenches?
  • deadslow

Looking to buy a set of hex wrenches that will last on the basis that buying cheap normally means buying twice. Can anyone give some guidance on quality and its realation to price. I have looked at:
    ParkTool PH1 P-handled Wrench Set currently £41.10 from JE James Park tools
    Sealey Ball-End Hex Key Set 8pc T-Handle Metric £21.59 Sealey
    Will I better off with the more expensive ones? Are the cheaper ones made of cheese? Or are there any other suggestions?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

PB Swiss.
    Expensive but supposed to be great quality.

http://www.pbswisstools.co.uk/index.html

nickjb
    Free Member
    somafunk

Either PB swiss or Wera will see you right for years of use, shouldn’t be more than £20ish

These Wera are good, the colour coding is quite handy for recognition of sizes

rossburton
    Free Member

Personally I’m after the holy grail of hex wrenches like those but with different coloured handles to easily tell them apart (you can get coloured hex L wrenches but I’m after the nice handle)

RobHilton
    Free Member

Park price is a piss take!

Have some Wera ones that are good but the smallest guage ones aren’t that useful cos the sleeves on them mean the useable length is reduced.

Bondhus are decent and can be had for cheap

MoreCashThanDash

My Ice Tools set has been great.

freeagent
    Free Member

+1 Anyone who pays that for Park hex keys must be mad.
    Dazzled by the blue bullsh*t.

I bought a set of Bahco keys from Amazon a while back from about £12…
    I’ve also got a set of Bondhus which I’ve had for 20+ years.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Park are stupid expensive for average quality at best when it comes to non bike specific tools like hex keys and screwdrivers.
    Some of their bike specific tools are a little pricey but at least the quality of them seems good.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Always been very pleased with Teng Tools, never had a problem with anything I’ve bought.

If you’re using them purely for your bike, you’ll never generate enough torque to knacker a half decent set, so no need to go crazy.

Good option Lifetime guarantee too.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Whatever you go for definitely go for some with p/t handles – i only bought a cheap set, but they’re an absolute joy to use compared to standard ones.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Threads like this give me tool envy… 🙁

gobuchul
    Free Member
    deadslow

Thanks, will have a look at them all later!
    Seems Park is overpriced according to the STW hive and that handles are the way to go!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Bondhus

Northwind

Bonghus are good. Teng make great tools but their p and t handles never seemed like good value. Who actually makes the Park ones again? It’s someone pretty good- maybe Wera? But they’re indistinguished and expensive, some folks would buy a poo if it was dipped in blue plastic.

I might get hanged for this, but mine are Draper Expert, and they are very good. Excellent fit, durable, very comfy. Nature of the beast with Draper Expert, some of it is absolute junk but there’s some stuff randomly at the other end of the bellcurve. I got another set more recently for the car, they’re not as good 🙁

adscatt
    Free Member

I use some facom ball ended ones, seen a good ten years now with lots of abuse and no slippage, it’s the ‘made of cheese bolts’ that give up first. I would definitely buy again, also used koken and signet stuff which is good value for money

http://www.mercateo.co.uk/p/2794W-360(2d)8102/Facom_6_Pieces_T_Shape_Hex_Key_Set.html?showSimplePage=NO&ViewName=live_gb~showGrossColumn&pk_campaign=SEA_PLA&pk_kwd=Schraubendrehersatz

Northwind

Aside; anyone know what these are called, and where I could get more?

http://img.everychina.com/pic/29716710-250×250-1/wrench_double_flexible_hex_wrench_set_5pcs.jpg

I got a set at a motorbike show about 15 years ago, they are blimmin awesome. They were probably amtools or similiar, one of those meaningless brands…

andyl
    Free Member

Have some Wera ones that are good but the smallest guage ones aren’t that useful cos the sleeves on them mean the useable length is reduced.

Trim the plastic sleeve with a blade. I’d it’s a bit close to the writing then trim the angle and and slide it up, assuming g it moves easily and is not bonded.

qwerty
    Free Member

PB Swiss have the prettiest colour coding.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have a set that is one of oldest tools and probably most used and at well over 20+ years still going strong.

jamj1974

Bondhus +1

superleggero
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Pedros L type which are ball ended and extra long for those awkward jobs. Really good quality and £20.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pedros-hex-wrench-set/rp-prod13808

Northwind

Pro tip- if you buy a nice set of black allen keys, throw out every other black allen key first. Otherwise you will instantly get them mixed up. I just gave up and ordered 2 sets of the silver bondhuses.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The colour coded Wera ones are excellent for £20

wrecker
    Free Member
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Bahco, or a mini wrench Pro set from Halfords at half price.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Trim the plastic sleeve with a blade. I’d it’s a bit close to the writing then trim the angle and and slide it up, assuming g it moves easily and is not bonded.

This occurred to me shortly after I posted 🙂

There’s something else about the Were ones that escapes me ATM – maybe something to do with the shape or poss. there’s a size “missing” that means I can’t use them to undo the necessary on the top of a lefty…

benp1

My T handled hex keys are Teng as well, I really like them

The Halfords stuff is good value too, and easy to replace – just walk in with the broken bit and walk out with a new one

FuzzyWuzzy

Pretty sure the Park ones are made by Bondhus – obviously not worth paying the RRP for but they’re not crap quality

househusband

Bondhus, Wera, Britool, Wiha have servec me well over the years.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Wera Stainless Steel

DezB
    Free Member

Ice Tools here too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Facom. Had a set for 20 odd years which got some hammer when I was an actual mechanic. Still perfect. (the keys, not me)

zanelad
    Free Member

Another vote for Teng. I’ve had a set for 10 years which are used regularly on my motorbike and they are still in perfect condition.

sv

Bondhus T handles.

andyl
    Free Member
    CHB

I have two sets of Facom. Best I have ever used.
    I also have some £12 Bahco ones from Amazon, they too are pretty good.
    Not had Wera hex wrenches, but I have their screwdrivers and am not too impressed with steel hardness.

Northwind

Ooh ta andyl. The double-end is really handy tbh but those look interesting

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Which set of Hex wrenches?’ is closed to new replies.