• This topic has 41 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by core.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Which rigid forks for 26" inbred?
  • core

Building up an inbred as a farm hack looks a distinct possibility, so I need some forks, cheap as possible!

Not keen on the one on chromo forks but am watching some of the carbons on ebay.

Any other plain, disc mount, steel forks out there for very few £££’s?

jonba
    Free Member

Pipedream infinity
    Surly
    Identiti

SilentSparky
    Free Member

A secondhand set of Kona P2’s should be pretty cheap.

Duffer
    Free Member

I’d extend your search to some 29er forks also. The OO Carbon 29er fork works well on a 26er frame, by all accounts.

takisawa2

The alloy Exotic ones are spot on.
    Way better than the On-One cro-mo Ship Anchors.
    And 470mm (29er) length works perfectly. If your used to 100mm+ forks the front feels very low with a 440mm.

Usually pick them up SH off here quite cheap.

simon1975

Crikey I prefer 425mm forks on mine after trying 440’s and finding the front end too wandery. But then I preferred 85mm bouncy forks on the Inbred too.

Salsa Cromoto’s are my preference, but probably too dear.

sv

For me 450mm would be the longest I would run on an inbred, the pipedream ones for £51 are a steel – igmc 🙂

letmetalktomark

A second vote for the Salsa Cromoto similar price to both new and second hand Exotic forks.

I nearly bought a Pipedream fork a couple of years ago for my Sirius but decided against it when I realized there were no hose guides.

They may have changed the design but £50 for a fork without them seemed a little cheeky.

Don’t go with the steel On Ones either (as above ^^^) as they weigh almost as much as my Reba forks!

clubber
    Free Member

Unless it’s one of the REALLY old inbreds then a 440mm fork is ‘right’ but as above, people have used 420 (short 26″ fork) and 470 (29er) forks with success too.

I find my Exotic carbon 440mm fork spot on for my inbred.

simon1975

Can’t resist another photo post:

Pinkbred in Mallorca by Simon J Taylor, on Flickr

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the original 420mm On-One forks on mine.

core

Thread resurrection!

I ended up with the 420mm on-one ship anchors, they were cheap in the classifieds (for a good reason)………..

I don’t like them, the front just feels too low, a lot have warned me off 29er forks, reckon they’ll make a ‘bred too wandery and kill the handling.

What I have spotted are the Exotic Alu forks (445mm), and the M:Part chromo forks (450mm), £75 & £85 respectively, has anyone got any opinions on either of the above?

sv

Genesis Fortitude Steel Fork (445mm a2c) £67ish delivered:

Link

Limited colour, these are orange but you might be able to find the green versions if you search hard enough (Madison might have stock so any LBS that deals with them). They are a decent fork and similar to the Pipedream ones (out of stock now).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d say Salsa Cromotos. I had a pair and loved them. Then split the bike with the intention of selling, changed my mind and then went through a few pairs of rigids before I decided to just get some more Cromotos. They’re ace.

ads678

I had Salsa cromoto’s on my Inbred 29er, very nice fork, wished I hadn’t sold them.

core

It’s a shame pipedream are out of stock otherwise they’d have got my money.

There seems to be limited stocks on a lot of rigid forks in general (including 26″ cromoto disc only).

Links to above mentioned forks:

Exotic Alu

M:Part

The fortitude fork might be a good option, still reasonable value if I blew a coat of paint on them, hmmmmmmm

lee170
    Free Member

I had pipedream on mine, excellent forks, decent price to

core

They don’t have any in stock, or any indication when they will unfortunately.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the on one 440mm carbon forks for 26er for sale if you’re interested?

motozulu
    Free Member

Not fancy I know and unsure if they’re what you are after but I just put some Gusset Cro-Mo 29er rigids on the Winter hack-S/S conversion I am doing. £62 from Tredz and first impressions are good, excellent if you are on a budget (like I am). Yes I know, haven’t had time to shorten the brake cables yet.

zbonty

Project 2 on mine.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Exotics on both mine 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think the first batch of O-O forks were made from the wrong tubing, massively overspec’d wall thickness or something silly? Have you ended up with a pair of those?

I’ve some 440mm ones if you think that would improve it. I’ve tried those on 26″ wheels, and swift and salsa on the 29ers. They all feel a bit different, but TBH if you hate one you’ll hate them all, although the O-O’s are the stiffest.

emac65
    Free Member

Often run my Inbred with On One’s steel fork with 29er wheel,69er stylee.Rides nice & not at all “flippy-floppy”.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Exotic 29 forks on my Blue pig. They are fantastic. There was a pair for sale on the classifieds a few days ago.

core

I really can’t make my mind up, lots on this thread seem to think 29er fork (465mm – 470mm a-c) should be ok with 26″ wheeled inbred, but on another the consensus was that it’d slackens the head angle too much & ruin the handling.

The problem with current forks is that I just don’t like the ride, the forks are too short at 420mm. Am I going to notice much difference with a 20mm – 25mm increase? My other bike, a genesis core is running 120mm sus forks, I just can’t get used to the inbred after riding the core.

Olly
    Free Member

i put my standard issue rigids on my inbred, rode it to the shop, rode it back, and took them straight off. Maybe im used to riding a boat, but i think it rides loads better with suss forks on it. (defiantly not slightly over the rated limit 130mm revs though, nooooo, that would be silly) 😳

james
    Free Member

“I just don’t like the ride, the forks are too short at 420mm”
    Are the forks too short, or are the handlebars too low? (because of the short fork)

core

Both, I’ve got 35mm of spacers under stem too, it’s on the limit height wise.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Find out the axle to crown measurement of the previous forks you had on it, minus a bit for sag and see what you get. I think people get a but anal about the tiniest increase in travel ruining handling. I wouldn’t suggest putting some Super Monster Ts on it (although that would be funny) but the on one stuff is fairly flexible. I had 160 Lyriks on my mk1 Blue Pig. I previously had 140 Pikes which is what I believe the frame was ideally designed for. I preferred the Lyriks.

Northwind

I’ve used 29er rigids in assorted bikes but they were all bikes that work well with 120mm or more fork, which imo Inbreds don’t.

I’d still recommend the exotic carbons though, mine were ace- not the lightest, certainly not the stiffest but a great balance.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Just did some research and a 440/445 26er fork is similar to 90/100mm travel fork where as a 29er 465 will be like a 120mm fork. I would have thought an inbred would happily run 100 or 120mm travel.

WildHunter2009

I just put some x-lite carbon things with a 15mm axle on my ss charge duster. Think there 445 a-c and they feel pretty good. Stupid amounts of space for huge tires, I initially thought i had somehow managed to order 27.5 forks or something daft.

Only been riding it on the smoother trails in perth but feels awesome kinda like that first bike feeling when you where a kid with a piece of crap but spend hours bouncing or rocks and trees and generally ragging it sill… but actually a nice bike. If that makes sense ha.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I have a pair of rigid steel forks on my ti456, im almost certain they were 29er forks from Singular. Theyre a very nice pale blue, height and stiffness are perfect for me.
    Cant remember what i paid (a couple of years ago) but they were they best overall i could find at the time.

core

That’s the difference though I think, 29er forks with A-C of 465 – 470mm are basically like running a 120mm sus fork on a 26″ hardtail.

And generally people don’t like 120mm forks on an inbred, whereas a 456 is designed for (and handles right) with longer travel forks.

I’ve never run this frame with sus forks by the way, just these 420mm rigids, and never got on with it.

sv

The 445/450mm a2c felt much better IMO. Never liked a 120mm+ fork on my Inbreds.

faustus

120mm fork on my inbred and it handles great, it’s a version 2 so was geometry tweaked?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’ve got 120mm forks on my 853 inbred and it rides lovely.
    I used the 440mm rigids I’m selling on there for a while as a commuter and it was more direct I guess.

core

Mine’s a Barry White frame (black with gold decals – 2010?), can anyone confirm which generation that is, or what it was intended to run?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Which rigid forks for 26" inbred?’ is closed to new replies.