Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which of these…
  • onewheelgood

..is heavier, and why?
    5 year old full suss vs. 2014 carbon ‘race-ready’ hardtail?

warpcow
    Free Member

The hardtail, cos there’s a lot more life to carry in those wheels innit.

onewheelgood

🙂

Yeah. It turns out all that life is pretty heavy. Weighing the wheels complete (tyres, rotors, axles/qrs) there is a 2.6lb difference, which accounts for the hardtail being 2lbs heaver than the FS. Since lightweight wheels make such a huge difference to how a bike feels this does have a pretty significant effect.

So…which lightweight 27.5 wheelset?

tthew

Absolutely no use to your question at all I’m afraid, but I did always like the Anthem in that silver and orange paint scheme.

DaveRambo

What you want there is a Ti framed HT with normal sized wheels…

soobalias
    Free Member

is it the full suss is heavier because you have worn out all the bearings/busings?

or is it the hardtail as its CEN compliant?

onewheelgood

Cheers Dave 🙂

@Soobalias on my scales the full suss Anthem comes out at 23.1 and the XTC at 24.9lbs.
    Note for njee20 – I know you don’t believe what the Anthem weighs so I’ll just make it clear that I am only talking about relative weights here and not making any claims as to actual absolute weight 😉

Kryton57

DaveRambo – Member
    What you want there is a Ti framed HT with normal sized wheels…

I love you.

Enigma cropped

Now <23lbs

DaveRambo

Not being one to miss an opportunity for hijacking a mate’s thread…

Lovely bike.

This is the one I was referring to

onewheelgood

Dave and Kryton, those are both beautiful bikes, and if you keep it up you may well convince me that my next n+1 should be a 26″ Ti bit of loveliness (Moots? Burls?). But you really aren’t helping with my current issue.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Answer they’re both heavy as they are both Giants

leftyboy
    Free Member

Very happy with my Sram Roam 40s in 27.5″. Light stiff but not exactly cheap. HTH

stoney
    Free Member

OP, how heavy are the wheels on their own?….

My 650b wheels came in at just over 1800g. Chris king hubs, Halo Vapour rims,”normal” ss spokes

can weigh them with tyres on as well….

I find it hard to see the Anthem being 23 lbs… My Ti HT came in at 26lb….. 2×9 set up, carbon bars, etc…..but it was built to be strong, not light 😉

onewheelgood

The Anthem is light mainly because the wheels are stupid light. 24 spoke Pro 3s with CRESTS, tubeless and KCNC rotors that are mostly air. But everything else is chosen to be light too, and Giant used to claim sub-25 as stock, so I don’t think 23 is far off.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Sram claim 1615g for the 27.5″ version of the Roam 40s, they certainly feel light compared to my Hope Hoops which are Evo2 hubs with DT apokes/rims.

onewheelgood

For anyone have any experience of the Stan’s wheelsets? They look reasonably light and reasonably priced.

onewheelgood

So thanks to a rather tempting offer in Charlie the Bikemonger’s sale, the XTC is spring a nice pair of ZTR 3.30 on Crests. Thanks also to the Mountain Mayhem Christmas Competition it also has some nice light Fibrax disk rotors. As a result it is now lighter than the Anthem, but more importantly it rides completely differently. Giant are doing themselves no favours putting such heavy wheels on what is supposed to be a racey bike, they made it feel ridiculously sluggish.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which of these…’ is closed to new replies.