Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which Oakley lens for cycling, mainly summer use.
  • ace_sparky
    Free Member

To go on a pair of Flak Jackets, mtb and road.

Cheers.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

If you ever ride in forests, under trees get some clear ones.

I have the gray lenses and there's nothing like the feeling of hammering into a wooded area out of the bright sun and it going completely pitch black!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I find the persimmon lens is ideal for all-year mtb.

uplink
    Free Member

If you ever ride in forests, under trees get some clear ones.

I prefer yellow/orange for forest rides

coatesy
    Free Member

Had both clear and persimmon for about 10 years now, probably used the persimmon about 10 times in that period, clear every time for me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The only "do everything" lens is clear. You can squint if the suns a bit bright but you're stuffed if it gets dark (like in dense forest)

Disco808
    Free Member

Yellow lens all the way for forest tracks in summer!

FuzzyWuzzy

I have clear, yellow and a mirror tint lens for my Radars. If I'm riding in woods I'll use the clears even on a sunny day, on the road I'll use the tinted lens if it's sunny and use either clears or yellow if it's overcast. Tried the yellows once on a night time road ride, was pants compared to clears.

crazy-legs

G30 works fine for me, reduces glare but enhances contrast. They work well in everything from full on sun to fairly overcast.

nbt

Persimmon works in most conditions, fine in trees if the sun is shining, but trees when it's overcast are a bit of a no-no. I have clear, persimmon and iridium for my m-frames and the iridium are the least used, only coming out on bright sunny days. I use clear for night rides and most winter biking, persimmon for the rest

Houns

It all depends on your eyes. For example i couldn't wear yellow or persimmon if it was bright yet alone if the sun was out.
    Best thing to do is try some different lenses out

simon_g

I like gold iridium – good enough for really sunny days but works fine in the shade too. VR28 is nice too on duller days.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've alweays managed with a grey lens in the summer, I've worked along the lines that if it is that dull under the trees, i can always take them off.

Winter I use persimmon, agree that they are truly pants at night and I've probably taken the glasses off more in winter when heading under trees than I have during the summer.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Iridium Black here. doesn't make things too dark and the perfect lens for summer city perving as a bonus!

uplink
    Free Member

I've worked along the lines that if it is that dull under the trees, i can always take them off.

oooh – there's a pic somewhere of a guy with a stick in his eye from riding glassless in a forest

druidh
    Free Member

I use the transitions all year – on and off road, day and night.

woffle
    Free Member

transitions are great if you can afford them!

druidh
    Free Member

Mine are prescription. Cheaper than having to get two sets of lenses made up 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

true. I had transitions in my old Radars – grand. Meant I could wear them on the dark summer mornings before dawn and then not worry about being blinded on the way home in the afternoon sun.

Keep meaning to save for some but other essentials like bottom brackets grinding to a halt have gotten in the way

billysan
    Free Member

Ive tried a few. Positive red iridium and blue iridium made everything too blue. black iridium was too dark in the shade when in woods. Persimmon was too bright in the sun. I ended up with VR28 black iridium. These I have found superb as they work from bright midday sun to dusk. They also increase contrast noticably making surface and terrain changes easier to see.

I liked them so much Ive got perscription RX vr28 black irid lenses in both my riding and casual sunnies.

RepacK
    Free Member

Personally I wouldnt bother with Oakleys they are great shades & look cool but are too bloody expensive for what they do..Get some Endura's instead.

younggeoff

Think mine are the VR28 polarized, no good for dusk though

GrandWazooo
    Free Member

Gold Iridium fan here.
    Good contrast in the woods and keeps the glare down well in the sun.
    Also I find the gold tint makes the world a much nicer place – antidepressant in sunglass form.
    Only downside is remember to take them off when riding though bluebell woods or else all the blues look dark green and you miss out on spring.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys, some good info there, cheers.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which Oakley lens for cycling, mainly summer use.’ is closed to new replies.