Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which MP3 player? OR Can you use an iPod without iTunes?
  • Kit
    Free Member

Looking for a new MP3 player. Currenty have a cheapo Sony thing, but looking for something which is compatible with MP3's (mine is the Sony ATRAC format or whatever it is), has more than 2GB, and a screen I can read in daylight!

Would love an iPod Touch, but I don't want to go anywhere near iTunes since I want to do whatever I like with the music I own (either ripped from CD or bought online).

So anything else as good as an iPod touch? Or can I use the iPhone without iTunes?

GrahamS

I don't want to go anywhere near iTunes since I want to do whatever I like with the music I own (either ripped from CD or bought online)

And iTunes prevents this how?

99.99% of my music collection is ripped from CD or from "non-itunes" online sources. All plays fine on my iPhone loaded from iTunes.

Jamie
    Free Member

….anywhere near iTunes since I want to do whatever I like with the music I own (either ripped from CD or bought online).

Explain this to me please.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    xc-steve
    Free Member

Songbird – http://www.getsongbird.com/
    Windows Media Player Plugin – http://www.mgtek.com/dopisp/

Kit
    Free Member

From what I've heard, iTunes digitally signs all music imported into it thereby restricting the devices you subsequently can copy music to, numerous iPods, etc. If this is false then I'd be glad to know and will happily stand corrected.

BigJohn

Explain this to me please

It's not cool to use mainstream products.

D0NK

I was bought one of these for christmas

go gear 4Gb just copy songs onto it via my computer, sounds OK, accidentally left it playing on saturday evening was still going monday morning so battery is "pretty good".
    Not the functionality or the screen of an ipod but £30ish bargain.
    Oh and ipods are fine with music obtained from, ahem, alternative sources.

Kit
    Free Member

It's not cool to use mainstream products.

Nothing to do with that. See above.

GrahamS

From what I've heard, iTunes digitally signs all music imported into it thereby restricting the devices you subsequently can copy music to, numerous iPods, etc. If this is false then I'd be glad to know and will happily stand corrected.

It's false AFAIK.

gonefishin
    Free Member

The whole Fairplay stuff was removed from iTunes a while ago.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Stand yourself corrected.

You can rip CDs straight into itunes, in various formats, and stuff you buy through iTunes is no longer DRMed. But does contain embedded details as to who originally bought the music. This doesn't restrict the use of the files in any way. If you we're to get caught for mass file distribution they could find out your itunes username.

Or you could buy music from Amazon or wherever you want and import into itunes. You don't have to use the iTunes Music Store.

Kit
    Free Member

Stand yourself corrected.

Thanks! So purchasing a non-apple device in the future, I would still be able to use the music I'd bought?

V. tempted now 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

I have two Sandisc players which have been excellent. The first is a 6GB job which also plays videos if you so desire. Had it about three years and it's still going strong – good clear screen, easy menu BUT slightly dodgy scrollwheel thingy which needs cleaned out every six months or so.

Nice brushed metal case, easy to take apart if it needs cleaned out, and you can buy spare batteries which are easy to fit. Mine was about £45 I think…

The 2nd is a 2GB clip which I bought to listen to audiobooks on – also excellent.

Both recharge via USB only but the batteries will go weeks without a charge – the bigger unit lasts months.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Thanks! So purchasing a non-apple device in the future, I would still be able to use the music I'd bought?

Provided your new player could deal with whatever file format you have, yes.

GrahamS

Last I heard there were still some DRM-protected songs available on iTunes (a very small percentage). Those will be restricted, but DRM-free mp3s from iTunes or anywhere else (CDs, Amazon, play.com etc) will play on anything.

nicko74

Sony do very good MP3 players with drag and drop now, and have a range that includes one with wireless headphones, one with an onboard speaker, or a standard one. Lovely bit of kit.
    I have a Cowon D2 that I love – 52 hour battery life, drag and drop for files, DAB radio, lovely touch-sensitive screen, great sound. Do it!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which MP3 player? OR Can you use an iPod without iTunes?’ is closed to new replies.