Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Which? lively 'n' whippy steel hardtail
  • themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

Another vote for Kenesis Decade Virsa Prestige. Big in name, big in goodness. Skips along singletrack like a cyber-gazelle, even with a biffa like me onboard.

messiah
    Free Member

I liked my Whyte 19 steel, it did the whippy steel thing really well… but I kept taking it beyond its comfort zone so moved it on… but I do miss it.

sv

Sanderson Breath currently topping the list…

C456 too much bike for the stuff it would be used on, I have a Pitch for the bigger stuff. Did like the RL853 but read a review saying it’s an old design with a dodgy paint job.

Northwind

sv – Member

C456 too much bike for the stuff it would be used on

Use it just like you would a Breath? 456 winds down to short travel very well, mine is mostly a 120mm bike.

gears_suck
    Free Member

A sanderson breath as aforementioned would not meet your specification. I’d compare it to a karate monkey which is made from recycled wrought iron fencing. There’s a myriad of choices only you can decipher. So… get to the shops and have a look at what takes your fancy. Forget on*one or any other lump of cheap pig iron. You’ll have to spend a little more to get a little more.. Niner? Gunnar… etc etc

GlitterGary
    Free Member

My 2002 Lavadome rides great with 100mm forks, whippy like an ice cream. Get a Kona.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pipedream Sirius.

sv

A sanderson breath as aforementioned would not meet your specification

Why? It’s lighter and probably more compliant than a 456.

racefaceec90

right,after just coming back from doing a night ride (which was awesome/haven’t ridden at night for over 6 months) on my duster.am not biased in the slightest (but here’s a video of my bike when i just got it 😉 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BopOcqdgpGk&feature=channel_video_title[/video] i seriously love my duster though 😀

gears_suck
    Free Member

A sanderson breath as aforementioned would not meet your specification

Why? It’s lighter and probably more compliant than a 456.

Obviously didn’t read my post! Besides comparing these two bikes when the guy’s asking for advice on a steel hardtail is just plain silly.

bol

I read your post and reached the same conclusion as SV. Sandersons aren’t made of gas pipe in my experience.

qwerty
    Free Member

HJ

richen987
    Free Member

hi sorry went out after i posted, it climbs very well at 120, as mentioned it does have a long top tube, i asked and sanderson said it had been designed to ride like an old kona, but with a short stem, this was one of the reasons i bought it as i like the old kona feel.
    i mainly ride south downs way and around winchester, usually quite far and it is a great bike, i’ll upload some pictures later for you.
    if your anywhere close feel free to come for a ride.

alpin
    Free Member

I’ve got a Breath and a friend has a 456….

the Sanderson is so much more compliant, springier then the 456. both ridden on the same trails and the Sanderson is a much better bike to ride on gnarr XC trails.

the 456 can be hammered on the roughder stuff though and that is where it shines.

but unless you’re riding v. technical trails, DH or rough alpine trails i’d get the Sanderson over the 456.

sv

Thanks Alpin/Richen does look a tidy frame. 456 for sale…

trailmoggy
    Free Member

ive got a dialled bikes prince albert at the mo with 140mm revs on and its a bit of a bruiser, i think i prefare my old handjob with 120mm forks on, it just felt quicker more responsive.

Rik
    Free Member

Depends what your budget is like but if you cam afford it get a

Chromag Sakura

Light strong responsive decent angles – best steel hardtail I’ve ridden

hambl90
    Free Member

Cove handjob gets my vote

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Which? lively 'n' whippy steel hardtail’ is closed to new replies.