Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which is the best RockShox Pike to go for??
  • liggster
    Free Member

I’m on the look out for a new set of forks, which will be Pikes but not sure which is the best model/year to go for.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

DOn’t think they make Pikes any more, it’s been replaced by the Sektor.

I’d go for a Sektor now to be honest

That said, the coil ones are best IMO. Suits the nature of the fork better, and I have owned both coil and air Pikes.

liggster
    Free Member

Thanks Peter, yes I realised that they had been replaced and was going to look at used. I just wanted to hear from people who had used them and get their opinions of air Vs coil, model number etc..

z1ppy

regarding the model numbers:

454 alloy steerer and ext floodgate
    426 steel steerer and ext floodgate
    409 alloy steerer and Int floodgate

Not had any, so can’t compare, but my 2010 Rev Team’s are very nice.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve three sets of Pikes, plus a set of 2010 Revelation Race.

The numbering system can be confusing, I’ve a set of 454 Airs, 426 Airs and a 409 Coil. All are really nice forks and to be honest they’re every bit as good as my Revelations, the only downside being the weight of the steel steerer 426 and 409 models. They’re appreciably stiffer than Revelations (and presumable Sektors) too.

My favourite is the 454 Air. It’s as adjustable as I ever want a fork to be, plus the air spring has proved very reliable. The coils can be noisy when not at full travel and they don’t have the fine tuning of the spring curve, but they’re plenty plush.

liggster
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. I was a little confused about the selection of models. Is it good to mix an air fork with a coil rear though??

PJM1974
    Free Member

Not an issue here. I’ve had coil forks with air shocks, coil shocks and air forks and haven’t had cause for complaint.

liggster
    Free Member

Thanks for steer PJM! (no pun intended!) 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Current coil Sektors are very nice. Plush out of the box.

(well, mine were anyway)

Junkyard
    Free Member

air much more easily adaptable for rider weight /conditions
    I have 454 buttery smooth with Uturn as well

GW
    Free Member

426 Coil

IMO there’s no point having an alloy steerer on such a burly fork, same for an air spring.

get a 20mm rev if you don’t want/need a burly fork

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I just wanted to hear from people who had used them and get their opinions of air Vs coil, model number etc

And I did answer that question. 🙂

sv

Pike 351 (for Specialized) coil u-turn with a sligthly cheaper moco cart. Alloy steerer

liggster
    Free Member

Thanks Peter! 😀

liggster
    Free Member

@ SV Whats a ‘moco cart’? :-S

nixie

moco cart = motion control damping

nixie

Pike 351 (for Specialized) coil u-turn with a sligthly cheaper moco cart. Alloy steerer

Also do a solo air version for added liteness

beagle
    Free Member

I’ll be selling a pair of mint 454 air u turns in the next couple of weeks if you’re interested.

Good price guaranteed! loamy23 At hotmail DOT com

I’ve been impressed with them really, had 3 pairs of Pikes and to be honest, I liked the 454 airs (non uturn) best. Mainly for the slightly lighter weight. But do appreciate the versatility of the u-turns.

guitarhero
    Free Member

PUSHed ones are FAR superior than the stock model, and I’m selling a set here

liggster
    Free Member

@ beagle I sent you an email but not sure if you got it??

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Really like my 424 airs, and the dual air revelations which seem to virtually indistinguishable, apart form the model number which currently evades me.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

454 coil coupled with a vanilla R on my Kona Coiler. Fit them and forget them… Sweet!!

According to TF the pushed version will have far superior rebound than the boxed.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which is the best RockShox Pike to go for??’ is closed to new replies.