Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which DX/ebay tourch for the helmet.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’m after a small tourch to go on my lid for the commute. I already have enough fire power on the bars for night riding but want something small and light to go on the lid for the roads. What’s available.?

singletrackmind

this one.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-Lumens-Camping-CREE-XML-XM-L-T6-LED-18650-Flashlight-Torch-SRT6-/280870115648?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item416529d940

Small , light , stupid bright . Just buy some decent 18650 protected cells , not from china ( they buy 18650 laptop battery packs for ‘recycling’ which involves shrink wrapping with new plastic and selling them on ebay

BigJohn

Thanks for the link – I’ve been looking for a replacement for my lost P7 torch. I’ve just bought that one so next stop Smudge for a couple of new 18650 batteries.

Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What about mounting it to the bars or lid.?

BigJohn

DK sell a mount that’s meant for poachers to attach a telescopic sight to their rifle, but it works fine for attaching a torch to a helmet.

brassneck

What’s the run time on high? About an hour?

AlexSimon

I would say that for a commute, you would probably dazzle/blind a lot of drivers with an XML torch.
    It’s likely to be quite a spot beam.

I would go for something a lot dimmer for the road personally. I suppose you could run it on low/middle though.

Cheezpleez

I’ve been using one of the above for a few months now and it’s superb. Bought some half-decent 18650s and it does a two-hour ride easily on a single battery. Beam is powerful and perfect for a head light. I use a Two Fish lockblock to attach it to my Giro Xen. I honestly can’t see why anyone would pay £200 or more for a ‘proper’ bike light these days

shredder
    Free Member

Does anybody know if the above linked light would fit a Joystick mount as I think they fit up to 25mm. The above light mentions body @ 25mm.
    Looking at the exposure mount as fitting to a Urge helmet so don’t think the blocks would work

singletrackmind

I Velcro mine on. Debz off here got me some 6″ long velcro wraps for networking cables.

Agree full chat will blind oncoming drivers if shone in their eyes , but medium or low wont.

Runtimes, About 75mins on full chat , easy 2 hours toggling the modes.
    The annoying bit is you cant get one with 3 modes.- Low, medium + high. This would be great . Why anyone buys a Joystick I have no idea, for off road these are ample. 1 on the bars and 1 on the lid would be a brilliant and cheap starter set for bimbling about in the woods for an hour or 2 at night , in December.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Until recently, I used one of these, mounted on a mixture of Hope and cateye brackets

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-v6-t60-xm-lt6-5-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-black-1-x-18650-100162?item=2

[now I run a Gloworm on the helmet]

BigJohn

Update: I bought the torch that Singletrackmind recommended above on 20 September, paid £11.17 and it arrived yesterday. I think its about twice as bright as the P7 it replaces and trying it out with my Lumi Led3system (spot, not flood) it seems just as bright up to about 10 metres (nice wide coverage) but the Lumi beats it at distance.

Its flippin bright, nice & light and with a couple of Smudge’s batteries I got the other day, I’m set up fine for night rides now.

The really good thing is that it comes on at full beam. With my old DX I needed to cycle through a couple of clicks to get full beam, and as I only use the headtorch in twisty stuff I often didn’t get it right.

It’s one of these on eBay – 1000 Lumens Camping CREE XML XM-L T6 LED 18650 Flashlight Torch SRT6.

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

I would say that for a commute, you would probably dazzle/blind a lot of drivers with an XML torch.
    It’s likely to be quite a spot beam.

Nah, disagree… The cheap XMLs don’t make very good offroad lights, too spotlighty, but on the road that’s a good thing- you light what you look at. So you can aim it a little low, and not have to worry about glaring someone with the “splash”. But you do have the option of aiming higher for range, or for <ahem> getting people’s attention.

BigJohn

The cheap XMLs don’t make very good offroad lights, too spotlighty

If you have one on the bars, one on the head it works fine.

Northwind

Tried that, still just chasing the dots. Preferred the older P7s, less light but a more usable beam. But very happy with my XML on the road.

singletrackmind

Glad your hapy BigJohn .
    Give me XML over P7 any night of the week .

Something like a Gloworm 2 x XML on the bars and the little grey torch on your lid is alot of light , perfect for playing in the woods.
    IMO

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which DX/ebay tourch for the helmet.?’ is closed to new replies.