Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • which brakes for the larger sized rider ?
  • knottie8
    Free Member

I have a riding mate who is having brake issues , he has hayes brakes with a 160 disc front and rear. They are good brakes but with his weight(20+st)they over heat and lack power. His fork wont take a 9in rotor so what do suggest he goes for bearing in mind he is pretty quick downhill? Should he be looking for four pot calipers ? He is riding bikes to lose weight by the way.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I run a 203mm front and rear with Hayes Nines no overheating problems since running that combo. Believe the 203mm is the same as 8". I am 17 stone and dont go slow downhill either.

jam-bo

New saints.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

Saint calipers and a 8 rotor? by all accounts they're retina detachingly powerful

IainGillam
    Free Member

You have probably already done this but if you haven't then if they lack power and are regularly over heating then bleed the brakes and keep bleeding them fairly regularly, the fluid is probably cooked by now if you haven't. As for overheating there isn't much you can do other than get bigger rotors as the rotor size is the main factor in dissipating the heat. I'm assuming that the fork can't take an 8inch rotor due to a warranty issue? If this is the case just get the biggest rotor you can or sod the warranty!

Iain

snaps
    Free Member

I'm selling some Hope V2's – they'll stop anything!

knottie8
    Free Member

I reckon there is a real possiblity of breaking the fork rather than just a warranty issue.

snaps
    got any pics ?

declan123
    Free Member

shimano saints or xt's a find avid jucy and elixers a bit spoungy for harsh braking

singlespeedstu

snaps.

YGM.

snaps
    Free Member

Three months use in the summer, still loads on the original pads, barely a scratch on them.

ton

saints or bb7s with 200mm discs.

singlespeedstu

snaps.
    I'll have them off you if knottie's mate doesn't want them.

Mailed you about them.

takisawa2

17st here, on Juicy 5's (203/180) & don't exactly dawdle downhill.
    {Save that for going up hill) 🙂

Cant say I've ever been left wanting better brakes. I swear they'd stop a freight train.

I've run plenty of "180mm max rotor" forks on 203mm's with no ill effects.

He's not dragging his brakes too much is he ?
    Were his pads bedded properly when new ?
    Are his rotors badly scored or bent ?

snaps
    Free Member

I'm also selling some Ti6's as well.
    I use Mono M4's with 203/180mm rotors but I'm 5 stone lighter.

Del

knottie, i know you're no slouch, but FWIW, what hayes is he running? nines have had a great rep with the downhill mob for a while as i'm sure you know, and the later ones are 'supposed' to be more heat tolerant again, aren't they?
    nines are 40 quid an end on crc BTW ( though no rotor/mounting kit ).
    if he needs rotors then try mtb-direct.com. i run one of their 180s quite happily with my nines.
    organic/different manufacturer pads worth a whirl?
    disco brakes have a wide variety of compounds too, with full descriptions on their site.
    i imagine he takes some stopping though, eh?

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

My mate Chris (6ft 4ins, 18-stone) swears by the Formula The One brakes 180/180.
    Being 4 inches shorter and 3-stone lighter than the big wazzock, I seem to be OK with my Hope Tech X2 183/160.

ianpinder
    Free Member

being 25st i hate formula thee one brakes, much prefer hope m4s and hope tech motos for the alps

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘which brakes for the larger sized rider ?’ is closed to new replies.