Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Which Apps for Android?
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

Well i’m going to make the change from Iphone4 to the Samsung GalaxyS3; I’m just waiting for it to arrive.

Any Apps folks can suggest that are maybe not on iOS ?

DickBarton

Oruxmaps is very good for tracking. Incredibly feature packed and free.

tinribz
    Free Member

Pretty much all I have in order of use:

Gmail
    Google maps
    Life 360
    Android navigation
    Endomondo
    Google Docs
    eBay
    Stick Fighter II
    Ultimate Lightsaber

Really missing a good OS map GPS app since moving from Windows.

youngrob

You’ll need MyContacts Backup to get you contacts copied across and you’ll need Doubletwist to get your S3 to sync with itunes. Oh, and if you’ve got any headphones with volume buttons and a mic, only the middle button will work.

I’ve just changed myself and apart from the issues above, it’s all been easy. The S3 is an impressive phone, really fast with a stunning screen.

Other apps to get are Flipboard and the Chrome browser.

Cougar

You’ll need MyContacts Backup to get you contacts copied across and you’ll need Doubletwist to get your S3 to sync with itunes. Oh, and if you’ve got any headphones with volume buttons and a mic, only the middle button will work.

You’ll need a Google account to get your contacts synced wirelessly with the cloud and you can finally uninstall iTunes. Oh, and if you’ve got any headphones designed for the iPhone, only the middle button will work.

(-:

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Trek Buddy is a decent OS map app. It’s free but you do need to use an old version of Mobile Atlas Creator in order to make the maps (the newest versions don’t access the OS maps sites anymore) But it will then give you OS maps of whatever areas you like on your phone, for free.
    Not as smooth as a paid for, does it all for you app but it is only a one time faff to create a map and plug in your USB lead and put the maps in the right place to install. Not too bad really.

BigJohn

Super sudoku and Google star map

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Chrome Beta is a must if you use it on you’re desktop
    ViewRanger GPS is very good, you can buy OS maps directly through the app using you’re Google Play account.

Met Office for checking up on the weather
    MX Player has better codecs for playing movies on the phone or for when you plug into a tv/monitor

Lookout Android Antivirus and backup (for peace of mind)

Scrambled Net Very basic puzzle not particularly adapted for ICS, but still a good puzzle game. Very Addictive

I also use Astro file Manager Not sure if the SGS3 supports USB OTG, but Astro is good for managing usb stick when you’re away from a pc.

wildheart
    Free Member

I’d go for Flipboard, which puts all your social network malarkey and your choice of news topics into a rather nice “swipey” magazine style 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Viewranger is good for OS. The map purchases are transferable between devices, so the stuff I bought on my Android phone work on my 4S.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

STRAVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mav12
    Free Member

mem map trakker if you have mem maps

Russell96

+1 Viewranger excellent app

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

But you can already get STRAVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on IOS

The OP wanted apps that you can’t

mikewsmith
    Free Member

maybe not on iOS ?

those in glass houses….

Dual XT File manager is useful
    App2SD
    One of the anti theft ones
    Instagram for better photo uploading

youngrob

Cougar, I tried that but ended up with all my Google contacts on my iphone. I am glad to be free from itunes though.

Cougar

There’s a setting within ‘people’ where you can hide non-phone contacts. It was shonky with earlier phones but works well with newer ones.

cp

as already mentioned, if you have Memory Map QCT files for the PC (the slightly older, unprotected ones), then MMTracker is brilliant.

IA

Alpinequest for loading maps, the mobac/whatever as above.

Tasker is ace, you either “get it” or you don’t tho.

deviant
    Free Member

Some good ones i use all the time:

Mytracks – GPS based tracking App, shows time, distance, elevation, average speed, highest speed, etc etc

BBC iPlayer – self explanatory really.

Eurosport – excellent sports news App, covers some of the more obscure ports that main sites miss out on.

Chrome – obvious choice if its your desktop too.

Amazon – self explanatory.

Kindle – truly great, why buy a kindle when you can turn your phone into one.

Ebay – A more user friendly App than the main site weirdly.

Facebook.

Twitter.

RAC traffic – congestion information.

SoundHound – Like the track on the radio but dont know what it is?….open soundhound and in a few seconds it usually identifies the track for you.

Unit Converter – very handy.

Yell – Yellow Pages App, often quicker than googling.

Urban Dictionary – expand your vocabulary, but not in a good way!

Google Translate – Fantastic App, often comes installed on an Android but if not just download it, its free anyway. Type what you want to say, select the language and if its a common language the phone will speak what you just typed to johnny foreigner…if the language is obscure it will give a text translation for the other person to read, they can then type back to you in their language and it will translate to english….brilliant, used it so much in work when there is a language barrier.

Google Maps, Streetview, Earth, Gmail, Youtube should all come installed as they are google products but if not they are all free to download.

BBC News – can have the App set up to delve into as a full site or as a live widget on screen constantly scrolling and updating today’s headlines.

Exchange Rates – live exchange rates App.

Winamp – Music App that can sync from iTunes

Easy MP3 Downloader – never pay for music again.

There are loads of games i wont go into as they are very much a personal thing…Android is lacking some Apps that iPhone has though, i’d like 4oD on Android but it not here yet and neither is the Eurosport live TV App either.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Thanks folks for the replies and I don’t mind contamination of those mentioning iOS apps too! The galaxy arrived today and it’s fab. I have an app on my iPhone called ‘outside’ which is just like OS mapping on the phone. Hope it’s on android once I work out how to use it!

Weasel
    Free Member

Google Sky Maps – for the night sky, keeps me amused for hours

I’ve just changed from My Tracks to Strava as I was apparently reaching 20mph when running

and following on from Ebay – Paypal.

Cougar

Oh yeah, +1 for Sky Maps. Back in 1927 when I got my first Android phone, that was a proper showcase app. Fascinating bit of software.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

i downloaded ‘Kies’ to my Macbook and plugged in the S3 to the machine. I was able to transfer all of my itunes contacts, notes, calendars, itunes music etc from a previous back up (only 5 days ago!) to my new phone. It was rather easy! Thanks for the App suggestions, i’ve downloaded a few.

fatface34
    Free Member

ipwebcam its great fun and free…

willard

+1 for Flipboard.

Aldiko for book reading, SSHBot if you need to get to a console at any point, Skype if you want VOIP.

mav12
    Free Member

sendposition you can email or text a google map of your location could be handy if you were injured

sky+
    navfree sat nav app

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Which Apps for Android?’ is closed to new replies.