Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where to stay near Afan?
  • ukmgranger
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’m off to ride at Afan (Wales) in a couple of months and need to find some accommodation.

There’s actually going to be a group of about 8 of us, so we need a kind of bunkhouse type affair (basic and cheap).

Any ideas?

smiff
    Free Member

the lodge is great if you can get the family room(s) – also gives you a microwave very handy for a cheap meal – but they don’t seem to do such good deals as when i first went. has the only nice bar/restaurant around afaik.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another suggestion for the lodge, if you want to save money how about going midweek

Afan Lodge

smiff
    Free Member

go while you can.. general consensus amoungst my group is that they might not be around much longer. seems never busy enough (last time more staff than guests) and the great vibe/enthusiasm we got from the owner first time seems to have faded (don’t think its just us either!?). fwiw i don’t think it’s their fault, theyre in a difficult position. that’s a topic in itself.

i had the nicest lamb i’ve ever tasted from the mtb-ing chef first time i stayed there and it was not expensive (by SE prices).
    sleep well and ride better, i think it’s worth it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@smiff, sad to hear that but not a total surprise, if the extensive tree felling goes ahead I think Afan is done for.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Was there not a campsite at the start of whites level

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

Yes there is a campsite/bike shop/cafe/car park at the Glyncorrwg MTB Centre – stayed there plenty, it’s £5 per person per night

BUT seriously consider the Green Lanterns Guest House. Bunk house en-suite accommodation £15 per person per night for groups of 6 to 8 people. That includes FULL breakfast!!!!
    Can take bikes in room too as its pretty big!!! Plus seperate toilet and shower en suite –
    On site is the T-Bones Steak House – Good little pub/resturant! When I go back I am staying here again! Its awesome!

Bout 10 min drive to biking centre.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Used this place twice http://www.skylinesrest.co.uk/
    It’s a two bedroom house with a rear steel door to the basement where you store bikes. It is a bit tired but has a washing machine, dryer and TV. You can sleep up to 6 people using the living room.
    It’s a very short ride from the trail centre.
    You need to do your own cooking but there is no one to tell you off for working on your bike on the kitchen table 😉
    The Afan Lodge is really nice, clean and modern but it’s hard to keep away from the bar.

ukmgranger
    Free Member

Green Lanterns looked great – thanks for the suggestion @Gooner_Dom! Unfortunately the bunkhouse is booked up for our dates 🙁

@Matt24k – do you think you could squeeze 8 people into the house? (with roll mats of course)?

Any other suggestions?

Checklist:
    1. Near Afan
    2. Sleeps about 8 people
    3. Cheap
    4. Somewhere for bikes

chvck
    Free Member

@Matt24k – do you think you could squeeze 8 people into the house? (with roll mats of course)?

We stayed there in Feb, 9 of us! There are 5 (I think) beds upstairs and then downstairs 2 sofas (1 is a sofabed and the other is fine to sleep on – I did) and then we also had 2 on an air mattress (our own) in the living room area. For the price we paid each we were more than happy! Bikes seemed nice and secure and the accommodation had everything we needed.

Only thing I will say is that if you plan on cooking for more than about 3 people then take a big saucepan or 2 with you!

Carpediem
    Free Member
    wrecker
    Free Member

The Lodge is nice, I feel for the owner. He/They were encouraged to build and given grants by NPTCC as it’s the first hotel in the valley (is there another being built?).
    Unfortunately for them, they’ve been seen off by the FC somewhat. Penhydd has been gone a long time, Skyline has suffered closures leaving only 2 trails. Having a bit of choice in the past, I think people are reluctant to make the trip nowadays and I don’t blame them. Shame about the felling but it has to be done and as long as they leave the trails alone, Afan will be fine. If it gets a couple of years of trail closures (a la Penhydd) it’s done for IMO. Be a massive shame for businesses like the lodge and skyline cycles but also the smaller ones like the local shops and B&Bs.
    Cognation seem to be doing their best, so I wish them luck but building blue and green trails could prove to have been a complete waste of time if the reds go.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay near Afan?’ is closed to new replies.