Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where to buy sleeping bags online?
  • davesmum
    Free Member

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new sleeping bag, I want one that packs away into a fairly small space. It doesn't need to be good for winter camping but spring/summer/autumn would be good

Any recommendations for cheap online shops?

fuzzyjimble
    Free Member
    CHB

alpkit ones are good. Or go-outdoors have had some good deals in the past.

PePPeR

We picked up a great one from Tescos,

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx

It packs up tiny and is snug as a bug.

prettygreenparrot

alpkit. good stuff. fair prices.

montylikesbeer

alpkit is stunning value and darn fine tackle as well.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Don't buy feathers for use in the UK. wet down sleeping bags are useless. If you are only going to use it in the spring to autumn period, then any old bag will do. no need to spend lots, but do get a sleeping mat, as they make a lot of difference. slim airics work well

tragically1969
    Free Member

Don't buy feathers for use in the UK. wet down sleeping bags are useless

This argument is getting a little long in the tooth, i agree wet down is useless but why would you let your down bag get wet in the first place ?

I have used a down bag for years, including winter camping\climbing trips, down allows high warmth to weight ratios and small pack sizes.

The trick is you keep it dry, the combination of a good tent and a dry bag is all you need to do to achieve this.

Having said that i wouldnt use down in summer, you will really need 2 bags to cover you for all year round, spring and autumn you would want a down bag thats capable of going down to inbetween 0 to -3 and summer a nice light synthetic thats good for +2 upwards.

Depends how cold you get of course but that should cover all bases and you need extra warmth you can use a silk liner which would give you another couple of degrees.

That is all !!

Stoner
    Free Member

what tragic said ^

I have a nice 1/2 season synthetic for the summer, but recently decided to treat myself to a new 3 season down for the rest of the year. Unfortunately Alpkit stocking is from the On-One school of warehouse management and I have to wait for them to get their act together for a Sky High 600 long to arrive.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Its not an argument, its a fact. Wet Down bags are useless.

£100= very good synthetic bag or a very poor down bag.

Its a no brainer. buy a cheap poor down bag that is no good, or buy a decent synthetic that will work better for the designated purpose. £50 will buy a decent synthetic bag for the OPs purpose.

Stoner
    Free Member

steve – tragic's comment was "why would you get a down bag wet"?

indeed?

What are you doing that means you have to worry about your down bag getting wet? Bivvying in a thunderstorm? Without a bivvy?

£85 for an Alpkit down bag is an excellent purchase – you dont need to drop £200+ on some monster Rab summit to get the packing and thermal loft characteristics of a down bag.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I wasn't disagreeing with you, i am more than aware that its fact, i was trying to say that if you get a down bag and look after it it wont get wet in the first place !

The OP never gave a budget so we don't know if he wants a £300 down for backpacking or a £20 synthetic for car camping do we ?

montylikesbeer

Down bag always with a bivvi bag works for me. I spend most of my wild camping under a Saunders fly sheet with a opened up survival bag on the floor and have been out in some right wild nights. Sensible camp preparation and down wins every time for me, its lighter, warmer, etc etc etc

davesmum
    Free Member

Hi All

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not into hardcore camping, but the kind of use it will get is spring/summer/autumn camping in places such as north wales, cornwall etc, glastonbury and occasionally whilst sleeping on a mates floor after a night on the beers. It isn't really needed for hiking expeditions etc.

Being as small as possible (without sacrificing too much warmth) is quite important as it means one less big item to lug about.

I would probably say a max budget of £50, so the alpkit ones are a bit out of my price range. Having said that, I want to get as good a product as I can for my money, so any advice on specific bags, or discount online shops is much appreciated.

Cheers

matthew_h
    Free Member

I reckon you're best bet in that case is Decathlon. They sell some cracking little bags that pack up really small, are warm enough for most instances and are great value.

Stoner
    Free Member
    matthew_h
    Free Member

Here's the Decathlon page of bags.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/backpacking-sleeping-3251020/

A couple of friends have the S10 bags and they are going well. Leaves enough change from your £50 to get a decent mat too (Alpkit Airic or similar)

backhander
    Free Member

Tragic's right, if your bag's wet you're fecked, so why would you let it get wet?
    Having said that I probably get a synth bag for the cost and care requirements of down.
    I have a Softie 9 and a softie 12 (snugpak).
    Good bags and the choice of most of the Army and Marines.
    http://www.bushcraftandoutdoors.co.uk/shelter-sleep/Bushcraft-sleeping-bags/?id=4338
    I would be tempted by the alpkit ones these days though as I no longer need olive green kit!
    EDIT; Keep your bag dry by using an ortlieb canoe sack as a bergen liner, the 90 or 104 litre ones will normally do.

colande
    Free Member

[quoteStoner – Member
    £50 will get you a good synthetic bag.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_travelpak_xtreme_sleeping_bag/%5B/quote%5D

snugpak are good
    ive got the same one as linked to and used it cycle touring in Scandinavia as it packs down very small.
    some sort of sleeping mat is also very important.

montylikesbeer

Try below, good bag from a respected name with outdoor history and only 1.27 KG you could carry in on a trip into the hills as well (still love down though)

ME starlight 3 season

And a sleeping mat

Hi Gear sleeping mat

The whole lot £76.00 a bargin I would say

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sorry for a small hijack but does anyone make a wide bag that's decent I hate mummy bags as my feet feel restricted?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy sleeping bags online?’ is closed to new replies.