Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to buy cheap timing belt?
  • sherry
    Free Member

I need to get a new timing chain for my Mercedes Vito 112 CDI, 51 plate. Where is best to buy at a good price? Cheers.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Are you just buying the chain and fitting it yourself or gettng it fitted by a garage.

And do you really want to buy the cheapest you can find for a part that will total your engine if it fails?

mickasaki
    Free Member

Try german & swedish or Eurocarparts. Is it belt or chain? If chain, you will want a tensioner and guides too, so probably best to suck-up and go to merc, you may be surprised!

sherry
    Free Member

I was going to buy it and get my mate to fit it who owns a garage. No I don't want the cheapest of the cheap, a good quality one at a reasonable price though! I'm looking for the kit not just the chain. He said it would cost around £170ish from Dingbro suppliers. Thought I would shop around.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A tip for fitting.

If you have enough space to do this, remove the cover, cut the old belt in half along the length of the belt so you've got half of it left on. push the new belt on so it's snug against the half old belt. cut the old belt off, push new belt rest of the way on. No timing to sort out

Only works if you've gor enough room to work though

CHB

In my experience the kits for cambelts are a similar price everywhere.

sherry
    Free Member

Cheers for the info. Its a chain so I will only be doing it once! mickasaki, I think you maybe right in going for the genuine Merc parts.

tron
    Free Member

If your mate owns a garage, he'll know where to get one for a good price. He certainly should be buying stuff cheaper than you ever will be, unless you regularly use the same motor factors and know the staff well.

PePPeR

I've just spent £2500 getting my car repaired just 5000 miles after having a "cheap" cam belt fitted! Do it once do it properly!

You can probably buy genuine replacement chains from GSF though.

mickasaki
    Free Member

At least if you go genuine, they should tell you if you need to replace any bolts etc that you need to remove to do the job. I'm not familiar with theese engines but on a lot of motors it is advisable to replace the cam gear bolts and fuel pump bolts. I know its extra cost but its better than having a bolt shear off at a later date causing extensive damage, IT HAPPENS!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy cheap timing belt?’ is closed to new replies.