Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 229 total)
  • Where the anti 4×4 brigade when this happens?
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Floods

In their Prius’?

aP
    Free Member

I’m not anti 4×4 I just can’t see the point of SUVs.
    Billericay is hardly the middle of nowhere, it’s like saying that people living in the suburbs of Manchester need a pointless SUV to ford the local river.

Lifer
    Free Member

Does every 4×4 have a snorkel kit now?

Sandwich

Useful once in how many years? Hardly pressing need.

molgrips
    Free Member

We are not driving through deep floods, mostly 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Drivers brave river flood to rescue others

More a case of going out to have some fun, no? 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Rescue”…from WTF?

transapp
    Free Member

I’d say that those two probably use the abilities of their vehicles more often than every couple of years.
    Would have loved to have seen an X5 try to follow though!

Tiger6791

A couple Defenders are hardly SUVs!

kimbers

well it was the wettest april in 100 years

so i suppose i ought to buy a porsche cayene just in case……….

davidjones15
    Free Member

If you start saving now, you’ll have a lot of Porsche in 100 years time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 Saxon Rider. The rest were probably locking them in the garages t**sing off to the idea of saving people

khani
    Free Member

“Rescue”…from WTF?

Its near Basildon, they have Wildlife ….
    Those two are local farmers I think, the rest of the 4×4’s round willibicky have big silly 4×4’s with massive low profiles and bodykits, in White or black…it’s a jungle dropping the kids off at school and going to the hairdressers and David Lloyds….
    I live there, it’s nice apart from that..
    And the Waitrose is very very good… 😀

totalshell

my next door nieghbours have RR vogues and both are garaged overnight, next doors specifically to keep the rain off his ‘polish job’

martinhutch

I know that ford. It’s very much avoidable from both sides and I can’t see why anyone would need to rescue anyone from the surrounding countryside – certainly not by having to drive through it.

Still, 4x4ers like to have their fun, and why not? It’s the only time in Essex their vehicles will feel remotely useful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still, 4x4ers like to have their fun, and why not? It’s the only time in Essex their vehicles will feel remotely useful.

Unless the s*** goes down and the deal goes south and you have to do a runner from the pigs (or Chardonaeee and Barry need to park on the grass somewhere)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

People who don’t think they’re the best thing for town centres and school runs might also, at the same time, think they have their uses elsewhere.

zokes
    Free Member

People who don’t think they’re the best thing for town centres and school runs might also, at the same time, think they have their uses elsewhere.

Don’t come on here with your well reasoned argument – the lynch mob will turn on you next

antigee

always here lurking…..but of course we are a diverse and fractional grouping – i belong to the “not an appropropriate recreational activity in National Parks” sub tribe

and at the weekend when i go camping with the kids i’ll take the 4wd so i don’t get stuck in some muddy field

plenty of bad driving around schools by all sorts of drivers – yesterdays award went to a ford ka that ignored red right at pelican completely – 2nd time in a week car has completely ignored the red light, not just speeded up on amber – should be a law against it

zippykona

I was at Tarr Steps a few years ago and a guy in a 4×4 turns up. He got out surveyed the ford, deemed it doable then went through the water.
    You could tell by his smirk that he thought he was some adventurer god.
    Meanwhile there is an old skoda parked with it’s bonnet up. An AA transit appears on the other side of the river,drives through, hitches up dead skoda and tows it back through the water and away.
    Shortly after mr 4×4 returns for another epic adventure through the water.
    Instead of an adoring fan club he is confronted by an audience who thought he was a total knob.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not had this yet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

where is an X5 useful?

grum
    Free Member

Yeah like driving them right down the middle of narrow roads in the Lake District because they’re so wide and they’re so scared of scratching them, and slowing down to 25 for all the bends.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

But hang on couldnt any car have got through that if you had fitted wet waether kit to it?

Besides no justification to buy a 4 x 4 for the 1 – 100 year chance of a tarmac stretch of road having once small section of it flooded.

donsimon
    Free Member

Besides no justification to buy a 4 x 4 for the 1 – 100 year chance of a tarmac stretch of road having once small section of it flooded.

Why does anyone have to justify the car they’ve bought?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

When this is your route home in winter they can be very handy :

A 90 & I backed off this road in the heavy snow in 2010 as we decided it was too dangerous – RangeRover Vogue driver called us a pair of cocks and slithered into the blizzard. Hope he’s still out there somehwere.

Don’t see the appeal of taking it offroad for ‘fun’ TBH – too expensive to break.
    Suspect the Defenders in the vid are having fun whilst “doing good work”!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

But hang on couldnt any car have got through that if you had fitted wet waether kit to it?

Suggest the height of the vehicle may also be a consideration, they are not airtight.

RV
    Free Member

I work in Billericay and did struggle to find a route cross country to work that was not flooded. I have a 4×4 and it’s also handy when going sledging too. So that’s at least twice a year it comes in handy.

nb. it does have to be said though that every other car going past my window at work today is a blinged up 4×4. Waitrose are even considering putting larger parking bays in the car park.

molgrips
    Free Member

When this is your route home in winter they can be very handy

Hah.. we went over the Beacons in 4″ snow on the road this year in our Prius this year, drove pretty much normally. We did have the right tyres on mind.

loum
    Free Member

We need to buy more of these great cars if we want to be more like the good ol’ USA. Hummers too.

Lifer
    Free Member

Didn’t have any problems in my 328 tourer (standard tyres) driving round the backroads (untreated) near Abergavenny in the snow a few years ago. It’s not something I’d like to do again though!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Hah.. we went over the Beacons in 4″ snow on the road this year in our Prius this year, drove pretty much normally. We did have the right tyres on mind.

As I usually have 8 people to lug about I’d need a roofrack on a Pious.

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I saying you should drive one?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Am I saying you should drive one?

No, am I saying you did?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you weren’t, I dunno why you posted that – kind of obvious.

shepleg
    Free Member

Rogerthecat bet you’ve got a ‘one life live it’ sticker on your monster truck 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Back to the OP. That’s Buttsbury Wash and floods very regularly. The fire brigade are often fishing people & cars out of there. The road is a back road and well known to flood. There are alternatives to using that road and no need whatsoever to use it when it’s in danger of flooding. Despite this silly Doris’ are always having a try and getting stuck. The the Landies were pulling people out, well at least it didn’t require the fire brigade yet again

JAG

it’s like saying that people living in the suburbs of Manchester need a pointless SUV to ford the local river

Or perhaps it’s like saying that people who cycle should only have a road bike – an Orange 5 is pointless if you live in the City 😆

Live and let Live, Judge not lest ye be judged – which would you rather?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    If you weren’t, I dunno why you posted that – kind of obvious.

In the same way that your post may have been misunderstood as a bit of sanctimonious willy waving due to how insufferably smug driving a Prius can make people? 😀

Rogerthecat bet you’ve got a ‘one life live it’ sticker on your monster truck

Hell no – they are for LandRovers and “proper” Off Roaders – usually stuck on upside down in the event that you might like something else to laugh at over and above watching them try to get out through the windows.

alpin
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

I was at Tarr Steps a few years ago and a guy in a 4×4 turns up. He got out surveyed the ford, deemed it doable then went through the water.
    You could tell by his smirk that he thought he was some adventurer god.
    Meanwhile there is an old skoda parked with it’s bonnet up. An AA transit appears on the other side of the river,drives through, hitches up dead skoda and tows it back through the water and away.
    Shortly after mr 4×4 returns for another epic adventure through the water.
    Instead of an adoring fan club he is confronted by an audience who thought he was a total knob.

i did something similar once with a mate. we wanted to visit some roman ruin in Kent. there was a ford with a little humped-back bridge next to it and a pub, full of people as it was a sunday.
    there was a queue on the bridge caused by people trying to get into the pub carpark.
    rather than wait i thought i’d plough through the ford in my dad’s Rover 414. needless to say we didn’t make it across. the car clapped out half-way through in about 2ft of water. the car started filling up. a crowd gathered on the bank. i had to crawl out of a window and wade through the water, walk past the by-standers and ask at the pub for a tow.

we got pulled out to a cheer and had to wait 2 hours for the RAC. when we got dropped off at home and the car lowered off the truck even more water came spilling out.

it took three weeks until the car could be driven again.

oh how the old man laughed…!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Where the anti 4×4 brigade when this happens?’ is closed to new replies.