Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • When to cut it all off (hair on head)
  • oddjob
    Free Member

So I am thinning a bit, mostly at the front and when I look in the mirror, I can see my scalp a bit.

I think it may be time to admit defeat and cut it all off instead of the admittedly short cut that I have at the moment. My wife thinks it looks fine and there is no need to cut it off yet. Her logic seems reasonable in that onece it’s gone, it can’t really come back. She thinks I should wait until next spring at the earliest.

Yeah, I know this is dull, but for those of you who have gone down this route, what was the tipping point that made you get the clippers out?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would say the tipping point is usually a short while before you yourself think it’s the tipping point.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

+ 1

Tipping point = when you notice – 6 months

oddjob
    Free Member

I would agree, but I suppose I’ve been anticipating it for years. The fact that MrsOJ thinks it’s OK makes me feel a bit better about it.

mashiehood
    Free Member

i saw the top of my head when someone took a picture from a window – made me realise it was time for the hair to go – that was nearly 8 years ago. Life without hair is great. Just do it.

_tom_
    Free Member

As soon as I start to bald I’m shaving the lot off. Currently have a thick full head of hair though 😛

snakebite
    Free Member

My grandad always used to say, “if your lawn wants cutting, you should have done it yesterday”

Of what relevance this is I’m unsure….

I now have a grade 2 all over, no messin, just easy

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat and I’ve got really dark hair and dark eyebrows so I may look like I have slugs above my eyes when I do it.

Damn you, baldy father.

crankboy
    Free Member

I receded at the front and went thin on top but no bald patch in my late 20’s. I went for a number 1 cut then on the basis of meeting baldness half way and not looked back or indeed too weird since.

If you wife still likes your hair then now is the time for the crop, after all once she has decided you have turned into a freak with a comb over and she’s off it will be too late.

jools182
    Free Member

my Dads got more hair than me 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’ve got 114 long dreadlocks at home you could buy if you like? kept clean and guaranteed to land you in more female attention than you could shake your stick at….

oddjob
    Free Member

Now I want to go for the freak with a combover look 😈

If it hadn’t been snowing all day, i wouldn’t hesitate, but it’s bloomin’ freezin’ out.

I’m due a hair cut next week so I’ll go even shorter than normal and see how it is. Maybe the one after will be #1 all over.

iDave
    Free Member

I used to think I’d reached tipping point, so did #2 clippers all over. Then an ex GF said I had plenty of hair why not grow it, so i did and she was right – may not be the case in 5 years though. Maybe let it grow for a couple of months then decide?

Harry_the_Spider

Get it buzzed! I give myself a grade 0 every other week and it feels liberating! If you don’t like it it will grow back… except where you are bald.

willard

I’m holding out for as long as I can, but my forehead seems to grow larger every day I look at it. it could be the mirror. It could be the lighting in the bathroom. I could just be paranoid…

But, the day cannot surely be far away when I take the big decision to take clippers to myself and do my bit for saving the planet (one bottle of shampoo at a time).

pitduck
    Free Member

have a comb over they look great 😀

Taz

Do it. Worse case it will grow back. Though personally I think longish hair on balding men is laughable

Grade 0 all over for me now and it is great. Started at 2, then 1.

Just buy a buff for the winter 🙂

sc-xc

Grade 0 here as well. I look flipping brilliant.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you’re asking the question, you know the answer. Grade 1, and buy clippers so you can do it regularly – it’s dead easy.

It isn’t colder really either – I went from 1.5 foot long to grade 2 in one go, in winter, and it was fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thread useless without pics.

I am thinning on top but hairdresser says it’s OK for a few years and GF agrees.

Must be the high stress/important work I do.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you’re asking the question, you know the answer. Grade 1, and buy clippers so you can do it regularly – it’s dead easy.

It isn’t colder really either – I went from 1.5 foot long to grade 2 in one go, in winter, and it was fine.

Oh and it is way easier too – quick showers, no need to dry hair, no helmet hair, feels better swimming, brilliant.

donsimon
    Free Member

Full head of hair here, taken down to #1 all over and has been for the last few years. Had a #2 in my mid twenties cos I got hacked off washing and drying it 2-3 times per day.

oddjob
    Free Member

I suppose I can’t expect an opinion without a picture

oddjob
    Free Member

Those are the unforgiving bathroom lights that started the whole thing. 😐

muddy@rseguy

can we start some kind of STW 40-somethings support group as today for the nth time running ive not gone for a grade 1 or 2 all over due to cowardice

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

oddjob – Member

Hmmmm bit of a slaphead but nothing too bad. Reckon you could stay off the buzzcut for a year or two. Worse when you have the Friar Tuck thing going on, as I do…. 🙁

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m only just 36 muddy!

Merak

oddjob – Member

Its time.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Looks perfectly acceptable to me as it is.

baldSpot
    Free Member

your like Goldilocks compared to me! I hit 30 and started going bald.

Totally ridiculous Pattern Baldness to – top of my head looks like coastline of Norway 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

i-phone user in new way of showing the world he has a bloody i-phone shock!

Buzz it off. Be a man. 😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Get rid of it now baldy 🙂

Tipping point for me was when i got asked for a tenner to have it cut in a shop. Not balding at all, just tight!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Had mine very short all my life, especially since starting to thin from 24 (not fair!) but only recently went for the full shave (grade 2) – it looks SO much better! TBH it’s shallow but a tan really does make a big difference.

I’m balder than the OP though!

It is definitely time looking at that pic.

*High 5’s fellow baldie*

carlosg
    Free Member

my Dads got more hair than me

Yep mine too , I started to really thin on top just before I hit 30 . I just looked in the mirror one day and thought ‘long hair and thin on top , no way’ , went out bought some clippers and grade 2’d 5 years growth off. Not looked back since.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To the OP, sorry mate, I think it’s time too. 🙁

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

😀 carlslog maybe not the best picture should have kept that for your 0800 800 7000 Scooterboyz. com profile

KT1973
    Free Member

Take it all off.

brack
    Free Member

I reckon it looks fine as it is mate… Certainly not as slappy as the other pics!

carlosg
    Free Member

I don’t do scooters I’ve had a few motor bikes though, the scooter people in my family are my sister and bro in law .

Changed it for you 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘When to cut it all off (hair on head)’ is closed to new replies.