• This topic has 72 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • When LBS's Foul up and stop being your LBS
  • hora
    Free Member

So moving the wheels around my cassette outer rings fell off. I'm assuming the lockring hadn't been tightened up. Yesterday down some rocky descents I had noticed the wheel behaving slightly odd.

The rear wheel had just been rebuilt 2 weeks ago and the hub serviced by them at the sametime (they removed and refitted everything). They were going to charge me for an internal part that I'd seen the mechanic split in the workshop with my own eyes to boot.

Following previous experiences I'll be buying my next frame(s) and forks from somewhere else in future.

Out of interest, if a cassette worked loose- whats the worse that could happen? My hub cracked at the eyelets or locked up wheel??

Pook

well in theory it couldn't come off as there's a frame in the way. your lock ring would spin, your gears/indexing would go to pot, but you'd still have some drive.

(You won't be surprised to learn this has happened to me)

richcc
    Free Member

I don't really do LBS's. Having said that staff attitude will make a real or Internet bike shop a no visit zone for me.

khani
    Free Member

Its not the cock ups that bother me so much, everyone cocks up at some point, its being fobbed off with crap excuses that makes me never go back again

Coyote
    Free Member

Don't have any problems with Thatto Cycles.

smell_it
    Free Member

All LBS's are not the same. I wouldn't not use my LBS because another LBS somewhere else didn't do what someone else wanted. These threads would be far more useful if the were; 'X cycles **** up my bike', then other users of that shop could offer their opinion, and even the shop could have their say. At least there would then be some balance of opinion, rather then a thread based on my LBS is great versus my LBS is toss.

rOcKeTdOg

That's Crappy, these things do happen, no one is perfect. you could learn do do maintenance yourself though, then the only person to blame is you

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I'm all for the LBS but it proper boils my p### when they talk to you like you know nothing 'cos YOU don't work in a bike shop – I don't work in a bike shop 'cos they pay f### all in wages – I was in one on friday,just casually browsing at lunch time like you do when i spotted one of these
    an aheadset steerer tube extender. Just what I was after as I'm rebuilding an old clockwork and the steerer tube on the forks i'm re-cycling is a bit short. Rather than just buy it i asked one of the mechanics if it was indeed what I thought it was and if it would do what I expected it to. I then had to listen to him talk absolute bullsh#t about how it wasn't for bikes using threadless headsets and how all it does is allow a modern stem to be used with a threaded headset – OK. So thats why it clearly states on the packaging its for aheadset systems and extending steerer tubes then. FFS. (I bought one and it does exactly what it says on the tin.)
    I could go on – but if I do you won't buy the book

jools182
    Free Member

one of my local shops is off the list purely down to the attitude of the owner

I phoned them 3 times to get a soft spring for my Magura forks, and every time they never called back

I wouldn't mind but every time I go in there he's sat on his arse doing **** all

I was going to get a Santa Cruz from there, and i was also looking at Cotic frames which he also deals in, but I guess he's lost my business by simply not giving a toss

orange
    Free Member

ditto khani – too many excuses, when they cocked it up themselves

ex LBS in chester – suspension bearings installed with the wrong threadlock, we'll have to drill them out – my reply "it was your mechanic that installed them!"

ex. LBS in manchester – you've cross threaded the cover on the middleburn self extracting crank bolts – my reply "it was your mechanic that installed them!"

tend to try and do it myself now, at least if i **** it up i know exactly why

hora
    Free Member

That's Crappy, these things do happen, no one is perfect. you could learn do do maintenance yourself though, then the only person to blame is you

I can do everything except build a wheel and bleed brakes. I asked if I should remove the cassette first- no problem they'd do it and put it back on after.

Should I complain? Utterly pointless. Complaining means I'd use them again which like **** I would. Should I recheck someones work after I've paid them to do a job? Guess I should from now- learn the extra bits and do it myself to a better standard.

Mail order from here on in. Unless a new bikeshop opens in Manchester where they dont expect you to buy everytime you walk through the door or ask a question.

thepodge
    Free Member

I then had to listen to him talk absolute bullsh#t about how it wasn't for bikes using threadless headsets and how all it does is allow a modern stem to be used with a threaded headset

that is what they were originally designed for. and I would say he is correct. threadless steerers aren't designed to have an internal clamping force above a simple preload of the headset. that "extender" will put a lot more on it than that. just because something says on the packet its for something, doesn't mean it isn't a shitty product that someone thinks they can double the market for.

Sandwich

Got the Saturday boy yesterday who couldn't be bothered, because it was 16:45 and the rest of the weekend awaited him. It may only be a small part but I spend lots of money on maintenance (things I haven't the time or tools for) and bike bits there. I may not be shopping there again, Lifecycle UK may well get all my business as they are friendly and take time over everyone not just those buying big ticket items.
    Steve if you're reading this sort it out, since you've moved shop the staff have turned into cliquey monsters (akin to going into Condor for bad attitude).

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

On a side note, those steerer extenders are notorious for coming loose! After the first few uses you should check the quill is still tight. After it has settled a bit it will be ok. I still wouldn't use it for mountain biking…

crikey
    Free Member

that is what they were originally designed for. and I would say he is correct. threadless steerers aren't designed to have an internal clamping force above a simple preload of the headset. that "extender" will put a lot more on it than that. just because something says on the packet its for something, doesn't mean it isn't a shitty product that someone thinks they can double the market for.

I'd agree.

I've used one to allow me to use an aheadset style stem on a threaded steerer, but I wouldn't use it to extend a non-threaded steerer. It might split the steerer tube with enough of an impact…

trail_rat
    Free Member

another one for those things being shite – the mechanic was trying to do you a favour – but of course customer ALWAYS knows best ….

Rorschach
    Free Member

Best advise I ever got-tell em what they want to hear.

spacemonkey

Only had a couple of issues with mine (Nirvana) in about 8 years. One of which was just plain stupid and cost me a couple of days and some to'ing and fro'ing with Spesh factory. The other issue they rectified as soon as I walked in with the bike.

I've used for all sorts of things; full bike builds, wheels builds, servicing, repairs, etc. 9/10 in my book.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

how shit are these steerer extenders? I just ordered one and read mixed reviews. I'm building up an old steel marin as a commuter come tourer and the headtube is massive so steerer is slightly too short on my P2's when running a front canti hanger. It'll only ever be used on roads and light trails. Should i have gone for the other kind that clamps to the outside of the steerer? They just looked a bit untidy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have used a steerer extender and it was fine. if a quill stem works so do these. Heavy but otherwise fine.

Kuco

I used one that converted a 1" threaded steerer to 1 1/8" ahead on an Orange Clockwork and had no trouble with it. Not the lightest thing around but it did the job fine.

Oh and I don't use my LBS much anymore since they introduced their VIP club. I thought 20 years of being a loyal customer spending a small fortune over the years was enough to get me some discount now i'm expected to pay £30 for it. They can **** right off.

rOcKeTdOg

threaded steerers were generally steel and made for an expander stem, thin alloy steerers aren't

crikey
    Free Member

Threaded steerers are designed to take internal quill stems, and designed to have threads cut into the outside. They are therefore stronger than non-threaded steerers, which are only designed to have an external stem clamped around them.

Using a quill style extension in a non-threaded steerer might be ok…. but it might not, and a stressed steerer tube is not something I'd like to risk…

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

well the steerer extenderer is fitted, clockwork is a complete bike again, so I'm off to ride it – if you never hear from me again it'll be because its failed no doubt. I've left a note in the shed just in case.

DT78
    Free Member

Well my list of horrors is pretty big, until I finally gave up with them (over about 5 yrs) I do most things myself now.

– not greasing pedals when fitting cranks, removal an absolute bugger
    – cross threading BB when fitting hope BB, I didn't realise until I tried removing it
    – fitting hope headset, not using expander but not offering to give me the bit either (I'd assumed they used it, bit too late to ask for it 6months later)
    – charging me £10 for having a dirty bike and not actually cleaning it. Final straw

crazy-legs

– charging me £10 for having a dirty bike and not actually cleaning it. Final straw

That is standard in most bike shops. Working on a bike that's covered in mud/dust/road grime is horrible, it doubles the time needed to do the job and means the workshop ends up covered in shite and then needs sweeping.

rOcKeTdOg

I've left a note in the shed just in case

😆

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Regular quill stems are not under permanent tension (caused by the preload effect of ahead design). That aspect combined with the rotational loads is what causes them to come loose more often. It's also worth pointing out that the end of the steerer tube MUST protrude from the top of the headset if you are going to use one of these. If the join between the two is inside the headtube that would make matters even worse…

Edric64
    Free Member

I would charge you for a dirty bike or send you away to clean it first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Threaded steerers are designed to take internal quill stems, and designed to have threads cut into the outside. They are therefore stronger than non-threaded steerers, which are only designed to have an external stem clamped around them.

Steel steerers have the same ID and OD and are made of similar steel…and the threaded ones are weaker due to the threads.

You've not thought that through have you?

crikey
    Free Member

Not all steerers are steel. Happy?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

am i right in thinking kona P2's have a steel steerer? Protrudes about 40mm but i need a bit more.

nickegg
    Free Member

All i can say is; to anyone who has never worked in a bike shop i suggest you do (it would be nice if that were actually possible) as it's been my most enlightening experience to date. The steepest learning curve i have ever had but the most enjoyable too.

We all make mistakes and i'm always honest to customers when i reach the limit of the advice i can offer. We all have to start somewhere and i'm not ashamed to call on more experienced colleagues to help me out.

Working in a bike shop is great fun and the day flies by, but that depends on where you are i guess.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not all steerers are steel. Happy?

no way would these products be on sale if there was a significant risk. The manufacturers have staff that know way more about this stuff than me, and perhaps even you.

sweepy
    Free Member

I dont mind people making mistakes, but i do expect them to own up and put it right. I brought a new bike from my LBS and rode it around for months. It was only when I bought a torque wrench and decided to check some of the bolts that I discovered two had been stripped, and rather than replacing the damaged part, the mechanic had just tightened them as much as they could without going over to the next thread again, then given it to me to fly down hills on. Not happy.

crikey
    Free Member

I don't claim to be an expert, but I wouldn't use a quill extender on a non-threaded steerer tube. Like I said, it might be ok, but as far as I'm aware, they are only designed to allow the use of ahead style stems in threaded steerers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

crickey – some are quite clearly intended to be used as extenders. The one I used was more than adequate for the job with a large engagement in the steerer and plenty of strength. It slid in then the expander was tightened – then spacers and the stem on then a separate bolt for the top cap to preload the bearings – which is only a very small load anyway.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In defence of shops:

I've worked in retail. The hours are long, the money's shit, and it's very boring and unfulfilling. And then you get tossers coming in demanding this and that and why haven't you got it at the same price as some Chinese website. Some customers are nice, but not all. Your boss expects you to bend over backwards for the good of a company that really doesn't give a toss about you, as you are instantly replaceable. You try to do your best, but at little more than the minimum wage, it's very hard to be all that motivated. For most people, it's simply something until they find a better job.

Of course, while there, you should try to be courteous and respectful to folk, and expect it in return. But in all honesty, some random punter's bike is not the be all and end all of your life. When you're trying to get loads done, sometimes mistakes are made. And having a bike covered in crap to deal with doesn't endear you to your customer. They are however paying your wages, and you have to remember this whilst they're screaming obscenities in your face because you can't sort out some problem caused by their neglect/incompetence, at 5.55 on a Friday evening. Had they brought you biscuits/doughnuts/beer, maybe you'd be a little more kindly disposed towards them.

Having said that, some shop staff are just lazy useless ****. Especially some arrogant managers.

Working in a shop can be fun, but to you it's only a job. You're not there to furnish the dreams of others, you're simply trying to earn a living. If something's not 100% to their satisfaction, you're not really bothered. Not on £6 an hour.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

am i right in thinking kona P2's have a steel steerer? Protrudes about 40mm but i need a bit more.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

it could be worse, you could be a girl. MC's been riding 18yrs and was welsh junior champion. She goes into a bike shop she usually gets
    1) ignored
    2) patronised
    3) a display of infantile c*ck swinging from the saturday boys desperate to impress a biker girl.

She gave up trying to argue with some drone desperate to sell her mate (MC had gone along to offer advice) who was 5'4" an 18" frame and walked out (that'll be Evans Reading branch). The only shop she ever uses is one run by guys who she's known since they encouraged her into riding as a kid, so our "LBS" is 120 miles away…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘When LBS's Foul up and stop being your LBS’ is closed to new replies.