Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wheel build cost ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Just after a rough guide on how much a rear wheel rebuild would cost.

Would you reuse spokes ?

Does your price include new spokes ?

Thanks.

simondbarnes

We’d charge £40 plus spokes

renton
    Free Member

Thanks simondbarnes.

What sort of spokes would you recommend for a 29er hardtail rear wheel for a fat knacker.

Also would it be cheaper for you to get the spokes or the customer.

simondbarnes

If customer supplies spokes then it often leads to more expense as they don’t always get the correct length. We build with Sapim Race for pretty much everything unless the customer has a specific preference.

bruneep

some prices given here

keithb

Evans. £40 including spokes and nipples. I’ve used a couple of different shops for rebuilds and been nothing but happy.

orangeboy
    Free Member

£30 in labour
    And yes if your new rim is the same erd as the old one and your spokes are not super light ones You could reuse them

simondbarnes

And yes if your new rim is the same erd as the old one and your spokes are not super light ones You could reuse them

He’s not looking to replace the rim, he needs to replace the hub which is far more of a PITA for re-using spokes.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Oops that will teach me to read everything.
    And yea a longer job than a rim swap

renton
    Free Member

It’s essentially a full wheel rebuild as I’ve took it apart already.

curto80
    Free Member

Simon so if I came in with the rims and hubs what would I be looking at all in for you to turn that into a full wheelset?

rOcKeTdOg

£30 plus spokes

simondbarnes

Simon so if I came in with the rims and hubs what would I be looking at all in for you to turn that into a full wheelset?

Depends on number and colour of spokes but for 32 spokes it would be £112 with silver spokes, £144 with black.

curto80
    Free Member

Thank you. Can I send you an email?

simondbarnes

Thank you. Can I send you an email?

Of course.

vincienup
    Free Member

@OP, Doing it yourself or paying someone?

In principle spoke reuse is fine if none are showing obvious damage, but unless hub dimensions and rim ERD are the same you would probably be making life harder for yourself/whoever. Possibly worth keeping for a later build however. If you’re pretty consistent in hub choice certain spoke sizes just keep coming up.

UK retail on spokes is pretty high although most shops building will do a drastic reduction from what they’d normally sell spokes for if you’re getting them as part of a build. If buying spokes yourself probably cyclebasket in Wales for ACI or Rose in Germany for DT are usually the best prices. Most builders prefer to do their own calculations for spoke length though – you can get a wheel out of less than ideal spoke lengths but it’s s lot more hassle and they’re the ones selling time.

renton
    Free Member

It will be the same type of hub being refitted so spoke lengths should be the same …… Shouldn’t they ?

I’m not doing it myself. I can do most things apart from wheels.

I’ve been quoted £45 locally from one place but that’s withOut spokes or nipples.

br
    Free Member

For the price of spokes, if it was already a s/h wheel or had had a hard life I’d get new spokes put in.

ajantom

If I was doing it myself then I’d reuse spokes and nipples (replacing any nips that got rounded off or looked worse for wear), especially given that it’s a straight like for like hub replacement.

I’m guessing this means that the seller of the Hope wheels wouldn’t take them back – or offered you a decent partial refund?

Where are you based BTW? I’d rebuild it for you for biscuits.

vincienup
    Free Member

If the hub and rim are the same (or hub is same model replacement) then yep, spoke lengths are the same.

I’d tend to replace any nipples that showed the slightest sign of chewed up edges but wouldn’t be bothered by reusing the spokes.

rankbadjin
    Free Member

You could have fired the rim and hub into that parcel Steve and I would’ve turned it around sharp for you!

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer bud.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wheel build cost ?’ is closed to new replies.