Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 189 total)
  • What's your local beer?
  • doordonot
    Free Member

In my neck of the woods, Stroud Brewery make a fine selection of ales. What do you recommend from where you’re from?

toby1

Milton brewery based on the brewer living next door? He does brew a fine pint though.

bodgy
    Free Member

Palmers is the local brewery, I always liked their dark winter ale, Tally Ho!, but plenty of folk go for the IPA.

mos

Golcar – not such a fan.
    Empire – not bad.
    Magic Rock – pretty good but i think £4 for a pint in the same building that its made is royally taking the piss.

v8ninety

Enville ale. The wonderful nectar that it is. 🙂

jekkyl

great question: I hail from Stoke (live here not from here) and we do have an excellent local brewery. Titanic. http://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/c/our-beers/the-titanic-fleet/
    There’s a pub in stoke stoke that serves them all and it’s good fun to try a half pint of each. I like the ‘Iceberg’

BoardinBob
    mossimus
    Free Member

Based in Walthamstow Wildcard brewery do some nice ales and have a tap room.

Even closer to home these people make cider from local apples. If you happen to have apple trees in your garden they will swap them for some cider!

spawnofyorkshire

You missed Mallinsons mos – some really nice hoppy beers

Magic Rock – pretty good but I think £4 for a pint in the same building that its made is royally taking the piss.

They do some cracking beers, yes the taphouse is expensive but you can get it for £3 a pint at the Grove if you’re not that bothered

Northern Monk in Leeds. I may be a bit biased as my sister works there, but Brian who does the brewing comes up with some awesome and interesting beers.

karnali
    Free Member

Loweswater Gold
    Jennings
    and one of the local pubs does it for £2 a pint 4-7pm, think i’ll have a couple this evening

Yak

Not the nearest, but local enough – FFF’s Pressed Rat and Warthog, a dark mild.

The Hogs Back stuff is all pretty good too.

matt_outandabout

Nearest – Bridge of Allan brewery
    Bestest – Harviestoun

RoterStern
    Free Member

I can literally see the roof of the brewery from my upstairs windows. The beer itself is the only German beer that gives me a headache and the squits so try and avoid it at all costs. It’s the most popular beer among punks.

johndoh
    Free Member

Roosters
    Daleside
    Bad Brewing Company
    Harrogate Brewing Company
    Knaresborough Brewing Company
    Outlaw

seosamh77
    Free Member

West would be it, and also the good old classic, that most of you’ll turn your nose up at, Tennents!

richmtb

Tennents Wellhead brewery is about 400 metres from my office.

Their beer is a crime against humanity.

Thankfully Drygate is next door and makes some nice beer.

WillH

Mt Brewing Company is my local, about 6 km away. Favourite beer is Mermaid’s Mirth, an APA.

A smaller outfit, Rocky Knob, also contract brew at Mt Brewing, they do some nice stuff too.

connect2

Brewdog HQ, 4.5 miles away!

seosamh77
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    Tennents Wellhead brewery is about 400 metres from my office.

Their beer is a crime against humanity.

Thankfully Drygate is next door and makes some nice beer.

That didn’t take long! 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The stuff I make in the kitchen. 🙂

BoardinBob

I’m a craft beer snob

A pint of Tennents isn’t that bad

andytherocketeer

Back home is more hop gardens than breweries, so I would have said Shepherd Neame. Spitfire – downed all over Kent, just like the Messerschmitts.

Kent CAMRA disagrees, and tells me that this place is closest, but I’ve never tried any of them…
    http://www.nelsonbrewery.co.uk

egb81
    Free Member

Brewed just round the corner from me. Lovely stuff, particularly the Oz Bomb.

andytherocketeer

Not back home is one of 3 German breweries. 2 are now co-owned, with 1 brewing the beer for the other. The third makes Hefeweizen that doesn’t half make you bloated the next day.

swavis

Spey Valley Brewery

Owned by one of my best mates too 😀

darrell
    Free Member
    jimdubleyou
    lunge

I’m in the luxurious position that within 3 miles of my house I have:
    Craddocks – Good but not exceptional. Saxon Gold is a lovely session beer.
    Sadlers – Some outstanding stuff here, Mud City Stout at 6.6% is stunning.
    Green Duck – More good stuff, James Pond being my favourite.

Expand that to 6 miles and we bring in:
    Bathams – Outstanding.
    Enville – Also brilliant.
    Fixed Wheel – Yeah, their beer is awesome too.
    Angel – Not as good as the above three but very few are, still damn fine.

petec
    Free Member

this lot

Sold out a few years ago; becoming a bit too commercial and less boutigue-y now. Even the Bell at Aldworth didn’t have any last time I was there.

so also this – still made by one bloke (and five daughters). And delightful.

this lot is near to work. Very small, very friendly, and excellent beer. My go to brewery for the odd polypin

franksinatra

Tempest is about 1/2 mile from me and now doing very well for itself. Great to see a local company growing and expanding

Born in the Borders is bit further away but I prefer their beers.

Both companies are (I think) aiming at different markets and both doing great

Northwind

Spoiled for choice in Edinburgh, but I think I’m contractually obliged to say Natural Selection, because it’s a collaboration between Stewarts Brewery (run by one of our graduates) and 4 of our brewing students.

But instead I’ll go with Bellfield, because they do some decent gluten frees and I can drink them without guilt and/or digestive system explosion.

sargey

Everything lunge said plus kinver brewery and a little bit further away ludlow gold is outstanding.

mefty
    Free Member

Fullers.

andygreener

In Bristol we have lots of options. Which is great. I was going to list a few but may as well do this
    http://www.camrabristol.org.uk/breweries.html

mogrim

Not particularly local, but fairly easy to get hold of in Madrid and a lot better than the industrial lager most Spanish drink:

From León.

Although at the height of summer a cold industrial lager does go down very easily…

lunge

Yes, forgot Kinver, not bad that either. We do alright in Stourbridge for beer don’t we?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Nearly as good as a Guiness.

richardkennerley

I live in Blackpool, so Carling.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Loads of brewery’s in the local area but my favourite is Acorn Brewery of Barnsley as it just happens to be owned by a mate, good range of beers and not bad mates rates either!!

Klunk
    Free Member

digfield is one of our local brewers, quite partial to a pint of fools nook

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 189 total)

The topic ‘What's your local beer?’ is closed to new replies.