Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • What's your earliest 'news' memory?
  • AlasdairMc

The Brighton Bombing of 1984 is the first news event I have vague memories of. I was 3. I also have some memory of seeing Arthur Scargill on the TV during the miner's strike as well.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Another for the Iranian siege and Falklands war seam to remember that they interrupted a John wayne film for the end of the siege i was 9

falkirk-mark

I remember watching Princess Annes first wedding at school.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

I think the fall of the Berlin wall would be mine. It's hard to remember exactly what I sat and watched live and what I learned about years after, but I vividly remember sitting in front of my tv watching people dancing on top of the wall and taking sledge hammers to it. I'd have been about 7 then.

The release of Nelson Mandela is another major one I remember watching live.

izakimak
    Free Member

The murder of John Lennon, i remember hearing it on the 6 o'clock news. I was 5, i think the reason it stick's in my mind is because my parent's used to listen to his music when we were going somehere in the car, so i could relate to who he was.

TenMen
    Free Member

The first bit of TV I ever remember watching is the Iranian Embassy Siege. Probably explains a lot.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

falkirk-mark…did you get a presentation mug to celebrate the wedding?
    I did.
    Must have been about 8!

jojoA1
    Free Member

Princess Anne's first wedding here too. I would have been about 4, but remember it because we got our first colour tv to watch it. It must have been on BBC 2 as well, because that's the only channel we could get in Applecross in 1974.
    Next biggie would have been Elvis dying and the Silver Jubilee.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Ooh, jojo…I got a silver jubilee presentation mug too.
    Kids today miss out on so much! 8)

falkirk-mark

No mugs here FC,just remember watching it on a b/w tv in the gym

avdave2

The relief of Mafeking.

Shack
    Free Member

The "Grassy Knoll" for me, but then Ruby taking Oswald out also sticks in my mind.

Blackhound

Getting a day off scholl for Churchill's funeral. No idea who he was…

tails
    Free Member

Ooh, jojo…I got a silver jubilee presentation mug too.
    Kids today miss out on so much!

😉

donald
    Free Member

Apollo 8 probably or maybe coverage of the Vietnam war.

allyharp

Shetland oil spill.

…When I was 6!

RepacK
    Free Member

Elvis, Jubilee, Embassy, Antelope in San Carlos.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

i have a very vague memory of watching and waiting for the apollo 13 mission lost in space and news pictures of the capsule recovery from the sea.

LsD
    Free Member

The bad news that Captain Scott had failed to return from the South Pole…….I remember mummy crying,and daddy telling her to be strong for the King.

antigee

Kennedy's assasination – my a lot older brother had heard about it on the world service news and i remember my mum sitting us down to watch the news at 6 o'clock – i would have been 5

watched a documentary on the vietnam war a few weeks back and it was surprising how much came back to me from watching the news as a kid

and edit ditto

JamesM – Member
    The Aberfan disaster

was 7 at the time and profoundly upsetting

gingerflash

Iranian embassy siege and the sinking of HMS Sheffield.

eldridge
    Free Member

When sweets came off the rationing system

Sweets off rationing

I love the shot where someone is scooping up handfuls of Liquorice Allsorts

tankslapper
    Free Member

Mafeking

eldridge
    Free Member

Maf (u) king liar!

sodafarls
    Free Member

My father's wolf ran up to me, rolled onto it's belly, and spake thus of Cromwell's demise.

"The bad tempered auld **** is dead"

Tracker1972
    Free Member

First shuttle launch is the earliest I can distinctly remember, also watched at school.

takisawa2

birmingham pub bombings, a hotel fire in london that killed a couple of firemen, the tube crash…moorgate i think it was

samuri
    Free Member

not sure actually. Chronologically I'm not even sure which one came first but I'd guess either Thatcher getting made head of the conservatve party or elvis dying. I remember both for different reasons.

colnagokid

can sortof remember moon landing stuff, but clearly remember Princess Annes wedding- 1973

legend76
    Free Member

heysell disaster was happening and the tv screen was just blank

ononeorange

Decimalisation, oddly enough. It was February 1971. I was seriously concerned what was going to happen to my big old-style penny.

MrNutt
    Free Member

the one where John Craven turned into a giant spider and got all post watershed on maggie philbin.

theotherjonv

Elvis for me. I was 8. My aunt was getting a messy divorce and had come to live with us with my 2 cousins. It was the hot summer of 1977, and my Mum and Aunt were sat in the back garden having a morning coffee on the patio when the newspaper arrived with the headline. I didn't know who he was, only that if he had the whole front page of my Dad's Telegraph he was someone important so as I walked out of the back door I asked Mum and Auntie 'Who's Elvis Presley?'

'He's a singer – why?'

'Because he's dead'

I recount the full story, because it's not even really the news I remember so much as the look on both their faces, which I'll never forget.

Surfr
    Free Member

Iranian Embassy (aged 4!) followed by Falklands (aged 6) for me too.

And the raising of the Mary Rose. I was off ill or it was school holidays but I watched it every morning live on tv

xc-steve
    Free Member

News on TV – Diana's Death August 97 and Labour coming into power 97…

However can remember the 92 Olympics as was in Spain at the time!

and oddly remember Torvill and Dean getting some medal which must have been 94…

Disappointed with my memory tbh!

Great tread btw!

julianwilson
    Free Member

From the telly it would be the falklands. As a little boy fascinated by space rockets, I also remember the challenger shuttle disaster better than most tings from round that age.

I just about remember my dad being very upset at a singer's death: I later surmised it must have been John Lennon.
    -"Do you know him Daddy?"
    -"Not really?"
    -"Has he been to our house?"
    -"No."
    -"Why are you so upset then?"

kids, eh?

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘What's your earliest 'news' memory?’ is closed to new replies.