Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What's the riding like in Dalby Forest ?
  • tobyho
    Free Member

We’re thinking of going there for the weekend; the Red on Saturday and the Blacks on Sunday.

Please advise.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Do the Black at the same time as the red as its more of an option on the red route rather than a route in itself.

Like it there. Better if you know the off piste bits / old routes…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

DBW can you give me a grid ref for the Elephants Graveyard (not sure if it’s the correct title, but something Elephant). It’s was the section that was bypassed a few years ago and was a notorious bogfest and then spiralled downhill thru dense deep narrow tree cover.

jonba
    Free Member

Last time I went we rode all of it in a day (comfortable, we actually rode out to the coast as part of the same ride but we were training for the Kielder 100 so 60miles was a short day).

I’ve been there a few times but fins it a little uninspiring. There are some really good bits but the majority seemed a little flat and motorway like.

There’s loads of natural riding in that area, think we combined a MBR route.

plumber
    Free Member

Been twice and diliked it both times

and its stupid expensive too

wl
    Free Member

The riding is typical trail centre, but the forest itself is great.

carlosg
    Free Member

It’s a love/hate place. Some people think it’s the dogs dangly bits others find it dull.

I’m firmly in the ‘find it dull’ camp , the builders could’ve made so much more out of the available terrain there. The fireroad climbs are yawnworthy but the descents that follow them are just as uninspiring.

Just my 2p worth.

momo

There are some good bits, but IMO not enough to make it really interesting, I certainly wouldn’t want to ride there two days running.

But if you’re set on going to Dalby, then ride it all in one day (easily done) and head up for a natural ride out across the NY moors for the second day, theres loads of routes out there, so you should be able to find one to suit your requirements.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I found the XC course the other w/e pretty good. Good enough for the pros certainly good enough for me..

lapierrelady

It’s great to ride if you hit it superfast, which is good for the fitness as well as there is alot of along. If you want good riding on the Moors, the Cropton route is a favourite, leaving from Rosedale Abbey, going down to Cropton, then return in woodland. Also, there is a route along the edge near Sutton Bank which has some great views. It’s really dry up north at the moment, which is producing some great trail conditions after the winter freeze. I would be out riding, but someone stole my bike last weekend, so I’ll be envious of you instead!

tobyho
    Free Member

ok. thanks chaps. we will be going in early june.

we are planning on going to cannock first on the way up on the friday (we’re coming up from essex).

maybe closer to the date, i could bump this thread and if anyone locals wants to join us and show us the best bits that may be good…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

B.A.Nana, there was many original bogfests which were bypassed so I’m not sure which one you mean! Sorry!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Dalby for more than 20 years and I preferred it pre trail centre but then for me cycling is about discovery not riding around an uninspring man made loop

Once you ridden it a few times it doesn’t have alot more to give; head to the moors

ross980
    Free Member

DBW can you give me a grid ref for the Elephants Graveyard (not sure if it’s the correct title, but something Elephant). It’s was the section that was bypassed a few years ago and was a notorious bogfest and then spiralled downhill thru dense deep narrow tree cover.

I think I know where you mean, it’s part of the old red but it’s been ruined slightly and a lot of the lines have been blocked. It’s about 2/3 way round the red before the last fire road climb. Keep an eye out for a log that has its end painted pink it maybe yellow (LHS of trail) – it’s there*.

*and if you can find it with those directions I’ll be amazed. Just looked on an old map, I think it’s at about SE870870 (ish)… I think….

ross980
    Free Member

Dave, I think it’s the old red switchbacks bit before the climb up to the start of the downhill near the disused quarry.

phinbob

As Momo said, Dalby is on the North York Moors – if you are travelling all that way you should consider getting out and riding the natrual stuff there (as well). I’ve nothing against trail centres, but unless you knew them well, if I blindfolded you and dropped you in the middle of one, you’d probably not even know which part of the UK you were in, they seem so similar.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What's the riding like in Dalby Forest ?’ is closed to new replies.