Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • whats the point of a tabletop (jumps)
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Can never figure out what to with a tabletop. Are you supposed to land on the top or on the downside.

Are they more for begginers.

Can someone explain?

juan
    Free Member

You are suppose to land on the downside, however the table bits is to avoid you to hurt yourself if you land short.

bruneep

You can do either land on the down slope or the top. Its just a double jump with the middle filled in as a escape route should you not make the down slope.

phatstanley
    Free Member

I guess they're good for developing yer jumping because you can start off rolling them, then aim to land on the top until you can eventually air it out and land on the opp. transition.

Then you can think about doubles, where the cost for not getting to the second transition can be not so nice.

Much fun, whatever level you're at.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Tabletop jumps came about when one group of young dirt jumpers had a bbq after cooking the food they realised they had nowhere to sit and eat it. So using their fast shovelling skills they quickly filled in the gap between one of the doubles pulled up a couple of logs to use a benches and sat around it to eat their burgers.

This is why it is called a tabletop. You can identify friendly jump spots by them having a tabletop. No table top = no bbq = no fun/not friendly.

jedi

they are good for jumping and learning manuals

yetiguy
    Free Member

Is it easier to do jumps on a FS bike or a HT ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

bmx

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

or a ht

Olly
    Free Member

if you come up short on a double, your pretty screwed.
    no easier or harder than an equivelent sized double to succeed at jumping, but MUCH less of a "head ****"

HT is loads easier to jump on, a soggy bike just soaks it all up and then bucks you off the lip (i find)

hence why DJers all ride hardtails or rigid bikes. (rigid if your confident and smooth, lighter, so easier to get height, but if you dont quite get it right it you risk knackering your wrists.

Trekster

they are good for jumping and learning manuals

The consequences of getting it badly can = a broken back unfortunately 😥

jedi

it doesnt matter what bike you learn on.

teamfinners
    Free Member
    Northwind

A double's just a tabletop that's not been finished yet. Arguably more exciting because of the increased penalty of failure but that's it.

james
    Free Member

Aside from not having to do loads more shovelwork to fill in a double to make a tabletop, fewer riders will ride doubles than tabletops meaning the lips/takeoffs stay in better shape. Any pictures will look more impressive too, so all win win for someone building there own doubles who can competently ride them. Unfortuanetly this doesn't include me

yetiguy
    Free Member

so should i jump with pro pedal on? (ie locked out at the back)

PJ266
    Free Member

Dont lock it out.

adstick
    Free Member

Pro pedal isn't lock out. I wouldn't lock out the rear shock, whether you put the pro pedal on or not isn't going to affect the jumpability of your bike that much.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is at buck woods nr Leeds. I think James has a Pinnacle full susser and this was on a small tabletop. Like said above, pontificating over your bike isn't going to make that much difference, it's all about finding the right spot with suitable jumps to learn and progress, then practice, practice.

Big-M
    Free Member

Classic TJ Baldwin, awesome, I've only ever seen him nose ito the landing 😯 legend

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘whats the point of a tabletop (jumps)’ is closed to new replies.