• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by flip.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What's the maximum slope angle safely mowable with a walk behind mower?
  • Markie
    Free Member

Inspired by the photo below I was thinking of doing some landscaping.

Does anyone know the maximum slope angle it’s safe to mow with a walk behind mower, mowing side to side (as opposed to up and down)?

Cheers!

jam-bo

Dunno. But I’ve mowed some pretty steep banks with a flymo on the end of a rope.

trout
    Free Member

side to side on a steep slope is a two man or woman. job. one at the top witha rope holding the mower up while the person with one leg shorter than the other pushes the mower along .

If that was my lawn, I think I’d just nail some astroturf on the vertical bits.

Stoner
    Free Member

My honda manual says not to be used on more than 20degs

Reminds me of when I used to do mowing/hedgetimming on the farm (with a tractor)

Used to mow a bank that was more like 30-35degrees. As you drove down the slope, all the oil in the engine used to slosh to the front of the block and the all the engine alarms would light the cab up like a small aurora… Which is very distracting when you have your face pressed up against the windscreen 🙂

Markie
    Free Member

My honda manual says not to be used on more than 20degs

Reminds me of when I used to do mowing/hedgetimming on the farm (with a tractor)

Used to mow a bank that was more like 30-35degrees. As you drove down the slope, all the oil in the engine used to slosh to the front of the block and the all the engine alarms would light the cab up like a small aurora… Which is very distracting when you have your face pressed up against the windscreen

I knew I should’ve read the manual (Honda Izy here)!

And your story reminds me of the time I rolled a tractor sideways down a 45 degree slope… amazingly it wasn’t the two and a half rolls that did for it (that just accounted for a bit of cab damage, I simply turned off the engine – being upside down makes all sorts of warning lights go off as well – undid my seatbelt, twisted myself the right way up and climbed out where the windscreen had been… thanks John Deere!), but rather the fact it was towed 30 miles to the garage while still in gear. Bye bye gearbox, bye bye engine 🙁

20 degrees, ace!

Stoner
    Free Member

never rolled a tractor, but you’d be surprised how far you can tilt one over without tipping if you have the hedge trimmer jib hanging waaaaaayayyyyyyyy over the other way to balance 😉

gusamc
    Free Member

on the steep bits on the lighthouse lawn dad used to tie a rope to the flymo and slide it up and down.

crikey
    Free Member

Look up ROBOFLAIL on the google; I’ve seen one in action and they are the greatest thing since man discovered fire.

nonk
    Free Member

on the steep bits on the lighthouse lawn dad used to tie a rope to the flymo and slide it up and down.

never been said on here before.

piha
    Free Member

Looks like you could do with one of these….

higthepig
    Free Member

I’ve got a 45 degree slope on one part of the garden, you just need wear spikes, take a long run up at it and forget about straight lines.

flip
    Free Member

Look up ROBOFLAIL on the google

That is awesome, my business is commercial grounds maintainence, i want one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What's the maximum slope angle safely mowable with a walk behind mower?’ is closed to new replies.