Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's the difference between an RP23 and an RP3?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Anyone know how they differ? Is there much difference in performance or does one just have more features than the other?

Cheers.

speaker2animals

The RP3 was the “original” ProPedalled Fox shock. Has a single dial that sets the damping to locked/propedal/open. The RP23 has a “double dial”. I believe that it works by setting your desired level of Pro-pedal on the top dial and then can activate or release it with the sub dial that has a lever on it. Not sure if RP23 has a locked position. I think it is just up to you to decide if you want a very high level of pro pedal or low level or fully open.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. I possibly have the chance of buying an RP3 which is the right size for my bike which has an unusual eye to eye length etc. Are the RP3’s a bit ancient and not so good or would it be worth getting it for a reasonable price? I’m not too bothered about pro pedal as my bike doesn’t bob much anyway.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Some folk prefer the 3 as its easier to adjust propedal level on the fly.

speaker2animals

It certainly is ancient by any means, well not in my world. I think they were begun in 2005 RP23 came along about 2007. I’d recommend one, I thought mine was good though I did have it PUSHed at TFTuned to get the damping I wanted. If you can get it for a decent price I’d go for it.£70 – £80 for a good service at TFTuned if you feel it needs it. probably be worth it in the long run. £100 ish?

Filthy
    Free Member

What’s the difference between an RP23 and an RP3?

about 20…

IGMC

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a pushed RP3 on my bike and it’s great, the lockout isn’t total but it’s more than enough. Never flick it wide open to be honest, don’t feel the need

glenh
    Free Member

he RP3 was the “original” ProPedalled Fox shock. Has a single dial that sets the damping to locked/propedal/open

No it doesn’t. It has 3 levels of ‘pro-pedal’. It doesn’t have a lockout (although it might feel like it in the maximum setting if it has a firm ‘compression tune’).

As mentioned above, this means that the rp3 has 3 levels of pro pedal available on the fly, unlike the rp23 which has 4, but only 2 that you can easily switch between when riding.

Other than that, they are pretty much the same (although the new ‘boost valve’ rp23 have some different damper gubbins).

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks everyone. Don’t need lockout anyway but pro pedal would be handy.

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

RP3 = original propedal shock. It had three levels of propedal adjustable by the blue lever. You could not turn the propedal off or lock it out. It could be push modified by TF tuned to increase the difference between the three levels of propedal. This gave “almost no propedal”,”propedal” and “almost locked out”. I did exactly this and it improved my cove hustler which was a bit bobby with the stock RP3.

RP23 = the lever now has only 2 positions “open” and “propedal on”. A blue dial allows you to select the ammount of propedal you have in the “on” position. There are variants of the RP23 now with the larger air cans and with boostvalves

RPL = similar in looks to the RP3 but the 3 position blue lever gives “open”,propedal,and “total lockout”. There is no adjustment of the propedal. I’ve got one of these on my 100mm “race” bike. The ability to properly lock it out is useful on Tarmac climbs when i like to get out of the saddle. This shock was called the Triad when fitted on specialized bikes.

I would echo 1961bike and say if you can get one in good conditon then getting a RP3 is sensible. The RP23 was more an evolution than a revolution.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's the difference between an RP23 and an RP3?’ is closed to new replies.