Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • whats the best rp23 , high or low volume?
  • oxforddan
    Free Member

going to put one on my orange five. After looking into it breifly I can see the older frames have a low volume and the newer ones a higher volume. Ive been told that the lower volume one was better as it did not blow through the mid range like the larger volume . I dont want to have to get it tuned or extra valves as it would be used second to my ccdb. any experiences or advice welcome cheers

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Call one of the tunning companies, they’ll know all about it

ruscle
    Free Member

You can buy the outer cans separately at a later date if you thought you wanted a smaleer?bigger one than what you already had bought. They range from around £30 for the low volume to £50 for the extra large volume (their are 3 sizes) Also if you look on Mojo web site they do these plastic widget thingy’s (they call them float air spring volume kit) which you fit inside the air can to help stop the shock blowing through its travel, their is 3 different sizes of these and a little demo video on their web site also:

http://www.mojo.co.uk/airspacers.html

Rorschach
    Free Member

Depends whether it’s boost valve or not and if it is, what pressure is in the boost ifp.
    Pre boost valve were low volume cans and boost valve were high volume (and relied on the compression damping to control the end stroke ramp up).I spent a day at Cwm Carn with Mojo/Orange when they were evaluating shock tunes.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Hi Dan,
    I was told by Adam at orange (sales/demo guy)that the 2009 pe-boost valves were the best for the five as they did not blow through the mid-stroke like the later models. I bumped into him at stainburn and he actually made a point of telling me (as I was on a 2009 five).
    Give orange a call..they’re always happy to advise.

ask1974
    Free Member

Anyone care to explain what “blow through the mid-stroke” means. Interested in this thread but struggling with the vocabulary.

Cheers.

GlennG
    Free Member

Just put the fox air spacers in my rp23 on my devinci Dixon, shock feels so much better and a lot more progressive and less linear, doesn’t blow through all it’s travel as easily, pack comes with three different sized spacers and a doodle to fit, got medium in at moment.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

edit to my post – I meant to say I was told the 2009 non-boost valve models were the best.

oxforddan
    Free Member

Thanks all. i will call orange tomorrow

mah05
    Free Member

I have a high volume 2012 rp23 on my 5. Its miles better than what was on my 08 5. When the pro pedal is on it feels alot more stiffer and when open feels alot plusher

mr_mills
    Free Member

GlennG – Member

Just put the fox air spacers in my rp23 on my devinci Dixon, shock feels so much better and a lot more progressive and less linear, doesn’t blow through all it’s travel as easily, pack comes with three different sized spacers and a doodle to fit, got medium in at moment.

I’ve got a Dixon and this sounds good. What are these and where did you get them from?

skywalker
    Free Member

I have a hight volume RP23 with medium rebound, firm compression, 225 boost valve tune on my 2012 Five, so I guess you will be wanting along those lines.

Bloody excellent shock.

Trimix
    Free Member

As I understand it “blow through the mid-stroke” means that when you squash the rear it rapidly compresses, only slowing down at the very end of its stroke. Or in some cases just hitting the end of the travel with no noticable slowing down.

Ideally you want it to absorb the impact and do so progresivly, so small bumps are dealt with sensitivly, but hucking off a big drop the shock will take up that impact and slow you more and more till eventually it bottoms out without a bang.

So the more you jump on it, the more it takes up that impact leaving you with suspension that ramps up as you ask more of it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘whats the best rp23 , high or low volume?’ is closed to new replies.