• This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What's like a Surly Disc Trucker but with…
  • amedias
    Free Member

horizontal dropouts (or swingers/adjustable) or an EBB to allow hub gearing and SS without tensioners.

ie: reasonably sturdy, stable, long wheelbase, mounts for guards and racks at both ends and takes 26in wheels

I can think of several similar things that are either rim braked, or don’t have the horizontal/EBB option, or for big wheels, but nothing that ticks all the boxes above.

STATO
    Free Member

Thorn Nomad? Yes designed for flat bars but many size options so should be able to make drop bars fit ok.

amedias
    Free Member

Good call, I forgot that the Nomad does come with a disc mount these days…bit pricey though but not outrageous…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

Youd need to buy a different fork as the one it comes with doesn’t have a disc mount. If your open to the idea of MTB frames though then the Surly Troll is surely in with a shout.

Pickers

Must admit, a Troll was the first thing that came to mind. Redesigned just as well with new forks.

amedias
    Free Member

I did think of Troll too but it’s a bit more big tyres and offroady than the trucker. I’m thinking more road biased with a little rough stuff ability rather than off road focused.

STATO
    Free Member

DiscTrucker has a BB drop of 47mm (26″ version) and the troll 40mm, so only 7mm higher, not a lot and the trucker BB is very low anyway, so a bit of height is not a bad thing.

Agnles are the same, so same stability tho chainstay on the troll is shorter, and a quick glance suggests for same ETT the stack will be a bit lower on the troll, sadly they dont give stack and reach for the DT

amedias
    Free Member

The massive clearances would make for some ‘interesting’ mudguard fittings though, unsightly spacer mounts or crappy fender lines, either way Troll is on the list but I think it’s behind the Disc Trucker + tensioner/excentiker EBB option

STATO
    Free Member

Just needs to be done well 😉

(not my pic or bike btw)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oBFxLb]*SURLY* troll complete bike[/url] by BLUE LUG, on Flickr

I have a normal 700c LHT, quite fancy swapping it for a LHDT, but I think id probably go Ogre or Troll if I were to get another touring bike now. Drop bars are great, but with the weight of it and the stuff you’d haul, flat bars with bar ends suits my use more. Flat bars on the LHT (how mine is setup now) is nice for cruising, but its a bit short for any long rides.

amedias
    Free Member

That’s the flattering angle 😉

Look at the length of those forks and the gap under crown, I know it’s only aesthetic but eugh!

If it came to it I’d use an external EBB on a DT rather thane to with a Troll for this build, Trolls are great but just overkill for the build I’m planning which would be more urban hauler/bike lorry freeing up my AWOL for other duties

epicyclo

I think you’re looking for a Singular Gryphon but you’d have to improvise the rack mounts.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Why 26″ wheels? Serious question.

amedias
    Free Member

Two part answer…

1. Because with little legs like mine toe overlap starts to become an issue with anything over 32c tyres, add guards and it gets worse, obviously can be worked around to a degree with head angles, fork offset and front centre, but that then starts to cause other compromises. on my road bikes I don’t care about the overlap as never going slow enough with big steering inputs for it to be an issue, so i deal with it but on a heavyweight hauler used round town and a bit off piste it’s one more thing I don’t want to worry about.

2. I simply prefer the way little wheels feel for this kind of use, 700c round town with front and rear fully loaded feels cumbersome and I want to go back to 26in

I’m not a wheel size nazi, my big wheel bikes will still get used but it’s personal preference coupled with fit/geo niggles that are hard to work around without other compromises.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Slot drop inbred frame with troll forks? Fitting a rear guard will need a bodge, but a pretty cheap combo.

RustySpanner

Just bought a Disc Trucker 26″, 50cm for much the same reasons.
    Delighted with it.

scud
    Free Member

Salsa Fargo (with alternator drop-outs)?

amedias
    Free Member

Slot drop inbred frame with troll forks?

Isn’t that just all of the reasons why I don’t want a Troll, coupled with not actually being a Troll? 🙂

Fargo is just MTB with drops, same issues as a Troll, really looking more at the road biased end of the spectrum, think 26inch tourer instead of ‘adventure’ bike.

And the Vaya is too Similar to my AWOL and I don’t think that has adjustable dropouts, although does come in 26.

Pics Rusty?

STATO
    Free Member

New troll without the sus-corrected forks?

amedias
    Free Member

do you get commission on Trolls STATO? 😀

RustySpanner

Been meaning to do a ‘New Bike’ thread, it doesn’t happen very often.
    🙂

I’ll stick something up when I get a chance.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

… would be more urban hauler/bike lorry freeing up my AWOL for other duties

Why not a 26″ utility/cargo bike? I love mine, prior to that used both a 26″ hybrid with panniers and a Kona Ute but the 26er hub-geared option ended up beating both by a mile. It’s ugly, tough and works hard without quibble or ongoing maintenance/expense.

amedias
    Free Member

No room for longtail or longnose cargo bike at the moment, so will be sticking to front and rear racks (4 panniers + front platform) and I have a trailer for when I need more capacity.

If you have a recommendation for a frame only option that fits the requirements I’m all ears!

STATO
    Free Member

do you get commission on Trolls STATO?

Hey, I suggested a Thorn first 😀

No I do like Surly’s, and I have a few. I got my LHT as SJS had no stock of Thorn Nomads in my size when I wanted a touring bike for a holiday. Its now my shopper, 4 panniers and front rack (basket) is more than enough to carry 2 peoples shopping for a week…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GN25A5]Untitled[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

As said though, with flat bars its too short but canti brakes with a load in the rain is terrifying, so its got flat bars and HS33’s until I finally relent and try to sell it for something more suited. Im just not in a position to emotionally detach myself from it just yet… 😥 (especially for the tiny amount id get for it).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sorry OP, no frames in mind – just that I once faced a similar decision (speccing a shopping/general use bike) but chanced upon another route once the Ute didn’t work out, ie purchased a Batavus Personal Deluxe – 26″ delivery bike (racks, guards, big stand, hub gears, roller brakes, integral lighting and locks) that actually does everything it’s designed to do. Would never have looked twice had it not been a chance used bargain (step-thru? Wot?) but since riding it for carrying stuff and town-use it’s been somewhat of a revelation. Would happily buy again, new if necessary. It carries a shed-load without wobble or twitch, is very stable when loading/stopping, and I also enjoy cruising unladen to pubs and appointments. I just set out 15mins earlier. Bloody love it and after 4 years stored mostly outside it’s still going strong. Might treat it to a respray and change the headset soon.

(Not mine but similar)

Bez

Velotraum might be worth a look. I’m just sitting behind one now and I think it ticks your boxes 🙂

Probably a few other German brands, too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What's like a Surly Disc Trucker but with…’ is closed to new replies.