Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What's Hot In Kids Bikes Right Now?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Upgrading from a Isla Bike that’s got too small for a 7-8 year old. Do I stick with Isla Bike, or are there better options out there now that the bikes are getting a bit bigger?

lister

What size wheels are you thinking of? Below 24″ I’d stilk with Isla, 24″ and up there are lots of choice, though Isla still offer a good option or two.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ridgeback.

lister

Pinnacle, Hoy, Marin, Merida are some of the 24″ bikes I’ve liked the look of recently. Just got my boy a Marin Bayview Disc.

Not keen on Frog, a couple of kids at the club I coach at have them and they seem to put the kids in a strange riding position, look uncomfortable and stretched.

lister

Forgot Genesis. THe Core bikes look great.

stoney
    Free Member

I have to be honest paul, The Spec Hotrocks are very good with a very low stand over height.

firestarter
    Free Member

Got a frog on the way for my little one the very latest model was perfect for my little one new ones have shorter stems and cranks. Very nice bikes ive had 4 isla bikes previously and the new frog looked nicer to me and more importantly my little lady

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’m not sure about wheel size, I looked at Isla’s size chart and he falls within the bounds of their largest 20″ bike and their smallest 24″ bike. I’d imagine 24″ would be less fun now, but a better long-term proposition.

Keep the suggestions coming, so long as I know what’s good I can price them all up and find the right balance between cool and price.

takisawa2

My lads mate had a 24″ Frog bike for his birthday yesterday.
    Had a good look over it today & I’d recommend one over the Islabike (too expensive) & the Spesh Hotrock (too heavy).
    A really nice bike.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

These look ace from Lil Shredder, but no idea if you can buy them in the UK
    http://lilshredder.com/bikes

Commencal do a reasonable range as well
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=2353594

wors

I got a spesh hard rock xs for my lad, 26″ wheels. But he’s pretty tall for his age, the 24″ looked daft!!

johnny
    MoreCashThanDash

Focus do a good looking 24″ bike.

Carrera Blasts/Lunas are good value.

We’ve tended to go with whatever is cheap and local on eBay.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ha ha, that Commencal looks epic. I was told the budget was ‘unlimited’…..

Those Genesis mini fat bikes look great too, anyone know what they sell for and what they weigh?

geoffj

I’m not sure about wheel size, I looked at Isla’s size chart and he falls within the bounds of their largest 20″ bike and their smallest 24″ bike. I’d imagine 24″ would be less fun now, but a better long-term proposition.

That’s where the lower stand over / design of some of the Specialized and Ridgeback is of real benefit.

We’ve had a mix of ridgeback and hot rocks over the years. It’s hard to fault any of them TBH.

The youngest (average sized 8 year old) is currently on a Ridgeback Serenity – great bike.

tomlevell

Orbea and Dawes also do decent weight bikes.

Islabikes prices now seem to be at the lower end of the higher quality market when you look about.

phutphutend

Homemade…

Unfortunately, all the bits are from a Ridgeback MX14 with the solid steel cranks, so although the steel frame is way lighter than the original ally one, it weighs a ton.

hatter

You’re after light & posh?

Supurb: The German Islabike

Saw them at Eurobike and was so impressed I just ordered one for the nipper’s first pedal bike.

TomB

My now nearly 7 year old has been on a beinn 24 since the summer, and the bigger wheel size is great, and hasn’t inhibited his fun off road (in fact, the ease he covers distance and hills is a big plus). Wouldn’t be surprised if an 8 year old will be getting on for too big for beinn 24, but will suit 24″ wheeled bike from other manufacturers.

peabrain
    Free Member

Unfortunately, all the bits are from a Ridgeback MX14 with the solid steel cranks, so although the steel frame is way lighter than the original ally one, it weighs a ton

phutphutend – get yourself on to Spawn Cycles and order some cranks! Cost me about £35 delivered for some 89mm alloy ones.

phutphutend

Spawn cycles, many thanks. I’ve been looking for lightweight kids cranks everywhere.

I was looking at chopping down a pair of bmx cranks for my next build.

Cheers…

peabrain
    Free Member

You’re welcome 🙂 Also Turn3 Racing on Facebook. More expensive though, and they don’t go as small.

PS I am envious of your ability to make your own frame! If I could I would make an aluminium frame with sliding drop outs to convert from 16″ to 20″ wheels…

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Those German ones look great, though I think they’re too much cash unfortunately. Maybe the next bike though.

aracer
    Free Member

All of a sudden Islabikes look incredibly cheap.

peabrain
    Free Member

Oh indeed Islabikes are cheap Propain FrechDax

peabrain
    Free Member

Or even Trailcraft cycles

edit – oooh they do cranks too!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What's Hot In Kids Bikes Right Now?’ is closed to new replies.