Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • what's for christmas dinner?
  • rOcKeTdOg

traditional Turkey and trimmings or something left field?

we’re having sausage, mash and gravy, can’t wait!

Drac

Traditional Beef with all the trimmings and a free range chicken for extras.

jimdubleyou

Turkey Crown. Pigs in blankets. Roast Parsnips. Gravy.

There will be other trimmings, but as long as I get the Holy Quadrangle I’ll be happy.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I don’t mind anything from Xmas dinner…..but I can’t stand Xmas pudding or mince pies…so I’ve banned them

ianfitz
    Free Member

Rib of beef, a veggie option. Plus the trimmings!

toppers3933
    Free Member

Trad turkey dinner. All the usual accoutrements. Lovely.

fasthaggis

Pie

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

duck and possibly Jamaican Curried goat

Stoner
    Free Member

Just picked up the foreib of beef this morning. Been hanging since 20th Nov. We’re having “xmas” lunch this Sunday.

jp-t853

Home made Mia Sofia pizza and garlic bread followed by Eton Mess. Bloody lovely, very few dishes and loads of time for everyone to be together.

We do have a more formal lobster dinner on Christmas Eve though.

jekkyl

We’re hosting and I’m cooking.
    Melon and star fruit for starters, with rasperry coolie. Might put on some parma ham too.
    Mains: standard roast turkey with roast tatos, a shoulder of lamb for me, stuffing, pigs in blankets, 3 veg: probably carrots, peas and cabbage.
    Desert: cake and ice cream.
    Drinks: Stella Artois 😉 (only joking, some sort of wine the wife is sorting, although when I asked my bil what he wants to drink he said Lime Cordial!!! weirdo)

benji
    Free Member

Chicken korma, rice and a naan bread, as i’m racing the next day.

Esme
    Free Member

A flask of soup and a sandwich 😀
    Followed by Fish and Chips (with a choice of garden or mushy peas)

Pz_Steve

Roast pork for us, from one of my sister’s pigs. I’m hoping it’ll be a Berkshire, but could be a Tamworth or an Oxford Sandy and Black. With as many trimmings as I can be bothered doing, but definitely pigs in blankets from the same animal.

So that’s basically pork, sausages, bacon and maybe a couple of sprouts.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That sounds a peasants dinner RD, something you’d have on a Tuesday.

Roast ham, Roast chook, enough trimmings to last a month and masses of sprouts, roast taters, parsnip carrot and gravy.

It’s my favourite days cooking of the year.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Going to Florida and it’s apparently Lobster and Beef. Jesus would have loved it.

Sadly it means I miss the most important part of the Christmas eating- the most beer I consume at one time all year in the pub on Christmas Eve.

Drac

First year in about 10 years or more I haven’t hosted, off to Ma’s this year so not sure of the full menu. There will be lots though and plenty of fluids too.

Xmas pud is here though ready to take over next week, love Xmas pud.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Fresh topside Gammon, caramelised carrots, sweet potato thrice fried fries.
    Then marble chocolate brownie cake and custard.
    This monday as thats my “xmas ” day with the kids.
    The actual day can go do one and I’ll be as far away from all the shite as possible.

rOcKeTdOg

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    That sounds a peasants dinner RD, something you’d have on a Tuesday.

perfect for me then apart from it’ll be a Friday (friday is normally sausage sarnie day!)

i will add there will be shed loads of cheese for supper, bu non of your fancy stuff, just good old sharp cheddar and maybe an oxford blue

chakaping
    Free Member

Got two delayed Xmas dinners scheduled with remote relatives for early Jan, so not gonna bother with a roast on Xmas Day this year.

Wife’s requested risotto – one of my specialities – so I’m mulling over the contents now.

Thinking king prawns and some green veggies. Probably not sprouts though.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m cooking and I hate Turkey, so….

Large chunk 3.5kg) of Aberdeen Angus for us – prepared following Tom Kerridges ‘treacle cured’ recipe.

The veggies will be getting home made wild mush room + herb pies.
    i’ll do all the usual pigs in blankets/sprouts/etc.

Boxing day the outlaws are coming – we’ll be having cold beef, and i’ll knock up some brie/red onion and cranberry tarts for the veggies, and some cheddar/red onion/smokey bacon tarts for the meat eaters.

Loads of nice cheese all ready in fridge.

I enjoy Christmas cooking. a lot.

irelanst
    Free Member

Traditional Goose for us. Not settled on the starter or veg yet.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My sister’s cooking so it’ll be lukewarm turkey and vegetables covered in cheese. 😳

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Homemade teak and kidney pie. By me.

hammyuk
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member
    My sister’s cooking so it’ll be lukewarm turkey and vegetables covered in cheese.

I wouldn’t be going.
    Seriously – I wouldn’t and didn’t on a couple of occasions whilst still married because of stuff like that!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Homemade teak and kidney pie. By me.

Sounds a bit chewy…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Rib of beef here too, thought I was being original and all that…

cheers_drive

Rib of beef here too

johndoh
    Free Member

Turkey and trimmings. I can’t see past that ever personally.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be going.
    Seriously – I wouldn’t and didn’t on a couple of occasions whilst still married because of stuff like that!

It’s tempting but If i didn’t show up it would upset my mother for no good reason, and she’s old enough and done enough for the both of us over the years that she doesn’t deserve that. Christmas has never really been a big deal to me so i’m happy enough to just go with the flow for one day.

Although I think I might do a rib of beef on boxing day, It seems to be the STW Christmas plat du jour.

Drac

Sounds a bit chewy…

No.

Grrrrrroooow!

Sounds a bit Chewy. 😀

Bazz

Another for the rib of beef, turkey is over rated in my opinion, and after working in a butchers shop for years the last thing i want to see on christmas day is another bloody turkey.

molgrips
    Free Member

so i’m happy enough to just go with the flow for one day.

Guess that’s why you’re still married 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Didn’t split because I wouldn’t go to her sisters Mols 😛

Kuco

Well, we got given some ration packs at work yesterday for if we get called out and unable to get food so it could be either vegetable curry or chilli.

ratadog

Yorkshire pot. Boned turkey, stuffed with boned chicken, stuffed with boned duck, stuffed with boned pheasant, stuffed with boned partridge stuffed with venison pate and held together by various stuffings. Not had one for abour 10 years but local butcher does it as a specialty.

Previous years have included various roasts although Bison was probably most exotic. Kids still give honourable mention to the year we were all full of cold and had pizza.

slimporcini
    Free Member

We’re hosting this year, looking forward to it (kind of) for starters, baked figs parma ham and goats cheese. for main, beef wellington buttered cabbage carrots and roast potatoes. for dessert peanut butter fondant. yum yum yum!

slimporcini
    Free Member

@Bazz. i concur. as a butcher myself i feel exactly the same.

Going out for dinner for the first time – ever. But will be turkey and the trimmings. Looking forward to it, will make a nice change and where we are going, I know the food will be decent

mikey74
    Free Member

Going around the parent’s as usual, just the four of us.

Traditional turkey and the rest: I love it. Best meal of the year. Washed down with lots of wine/champagne and whatever else is available (pretty much anything we want) and lots of nibbles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘what's for christmas dinner?’ is closed to new replies.