Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • what under 1k trials bike?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ok, i’ve been putting this off for years…

i grew up riding trials but drifted out of it in the late 80s and went into enduros til’ the kiddies came along in the late 90’s then sold the bikes for double glazing. never ridden a mono shock but always curious.

i think the time has come, i’ve got a yeti dj and a few other bikes sat in the shed i don’t use, and there’s a really strong local trials scene (the closest event takes place in the woods below my house).

so, to start the google looking phase, what bikes and indeed capacity should i be looking at for under 1k – reliability is the key thing for me, don’t want to be servicing every 2 mins?

2-stroke or 4?

did i read on here once that the montesa 315r is the best bet?

godzilla
    Free Member

Scorpa SY, no linkage to worry about and bullet proof motor, that or a mont 315. You won’t get much of a 4T with your budget.
    Where are you based?

Pigface
    Free Member

Say no to GasGas Beta Rev 3 maybe but the Scorpa is a good shout.

A mate bought a Sherco 290 for that kind of price but it was very fierce, horrible thing that would bite you if you tried to take any liberties.

Trials Central has a good for sale section.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

i paid 1200 for my old gas gas. was sweet for the 3 years i had it.
    i now have a 290 sherco, can be bit powerful, but you can calm them down.
    tbh, they’re all pretty similar, so look for one in good nick that hasn,t been ragged by an expert rider. or worse, a wannabe expert rider.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

down in cornwall, far west.

the main thing that’ll swing it for me is if i can find some decent practice land. would’nt have thought twice about riding in the woods below my house when i was a kid, its actually epic for trials down there – stream running through, steep banks, roots, boulders etc – but now i’m too old and responsible.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I bought a Montesa 315 12 months ago and it’s great. I had no motorbike experience beforehand and it’s not scared me yet although I did fit a slow throttle and change the sprockets to slow it down . Easy to work on (changing the fork seals this weekend) and the Honda engine is seemly very bulletproof. I paid £500.
    Scropa might also be a good call, but around here there are quite a few Monts.

totalshell

one bike.. outstanding value.. the best clubman bike ever.. rides like a dream.. soft power delivery and 800 quid buys a ready to ride bike.. Fantic 200

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘what under 1k trials bike?’ is closed to new replies.