Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • (What) Tyres onto ZTR Crests, Day 2 – A different approach
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Firstly I’d like to thank everyone for the help and advice given to an extremely frustrated Tacopowell!
    Very much appreciated!

Today is a new day! I’m in a different frame of mind,
    I contacted WickedCycles and they informed me that Hope have heard of the odd issue and Stans have said there is difference in dimensions to the rim.
    Basically their telling me its down to my Tyre!

I’m sure Stans are aware of the situation and should be informing every customer buying their product! But after looking at many other peoples experiences with Crests and Stans it would seem that Stans themselves are unsure what Tyre fits best!

I’m therefor trying my Rubber Queen 2.2 (Standard Wire, Non UST) on my rear wheel one last time this morning, If I can get it on I will pump to around 45psi (Max recommended)and have a gentle ride in the hope they’ll pop into place!

I’m visiting a friend with more experience tonight who may be able to help!

If I cant get my RQ on I’ll be looking to a new set of tyres,
    Yesterday there where several recommendations

Bontrager XR4

Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Maxxis Ignitors

Maxxis eXception series

I was planning to use tubes but Obviously this may be an issue but I’m open to suggestions to both Tubed and Tubless tyres?!

Would it be easier to get folding tyres on over wired?

Your help as always is welcome! 😀

neninja
    Free Member

I had a nightmare mounting a mates Conti Vertical wire to his Flows when I set them up tubeless for him. They went on in the end but the wire bead really didn’t want to seat properly.

I’ve found the Folding Rubber Queens very easy to mount to Stans rims (Flow/Arch/SunRingle Black Flag) as are all the Schwalbe tyres I’ve tried.
    I have used Maxxis Advantage Exception on Stans but found the bead a little too loose which made them tricky to inflate.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’ve found the Folding Rubber Queens very easy to mount to Stans rims

I do Like my RQ’s Did wonder if the folding variety would be any easier

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage Exceptions on mine, can get them on & off without levers but you need a good blast to get them on Crests. Wear goggles so you don’t get sealant in your eyes when the pop on.

robowns
    Free Member

Im fairly new to tubeless, I found it very easy to set up with Crests.

Step 1: Get it on and inflate with tube
    Step 2: Pull oneside from groove and remove tube
    Step 3: Youtube Tyre Lever Tubeless Trick
    ie; slowly work your way around the rim with a tyre lever slotting that side into its groove (bubbles do help with getting it on/off)
    Step 4: Put sealant in the last remaining unseated bit of tyre
    Step 5: Inflate with track pump, will pop into place within 15 seconds

Easy

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I still reckon that thick-ass grabby rimtape that you had on in the pic will be the biggest problem with tight tyres. Some proper yellow tape will be thinner and give a smoother transition from the channel of the rim up to the shoulders.
    Also, if you go then tubeless, putting on tyres with a tyre lever ceases to be a problem!

EDIT: and fit the tape properly– key the surface, degrease, and really damn tight! This may of course not fix the probs with these tyres, but at least the rims will be set up as they should be..

neninja
    Free Member

robowns – Member

Im fairly new to tubeless, I found it very easy to set up with Crests.

I don’t think the problem is inflating them tubeless, it’s getting the wire bead to seat correctly and evenly around the rim. OP can confirm this.

For some reason Conti wire bead tyres just don’t like seating evenly on Stans rims so it seats properly in places and it’s wonky in others.

Edit – if you have regular rim strips, replace with yellow tape as the rim tape my be shifting in to the bead socket.

amsterdan
    Free Member

fitted folding rubber queens on ztr arch ex no problem with a track pump if you like rqs try them

tacopowell
    Free Member

Conti wire bead tyres just don’t like seating evenly

Would folding QR work you think?

jackal
    Free Member

maxxis ardent’s and high rollers (both single ply folding non ust), both go on and seat easily just with my fingers, set up tubeless and with tubes.
    I did have the high roller blow off the other day, so maybe they’re a bit too loose 😆

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Had same problem!!!! Took 4 hands to get Specialized onto ZTR Crest.

Narrow tape and Maxis High Roller now works fine.

Paul

rickon
    Free Member

My favourite tyres that I can usually get up out of the packet, without even using a tube or anything, and I’ve even popping them on with a minipump! are Schwalbe Rocket Rons… the pre-TLR ones. They’re super-duper grippy, and I’ve yet to trash one – as long as they’re seated properly they’re a proper good tyre.

By far the fastest tyre I’ve used, and also the most grippy.

Merlin have them on sale at the moment, I’ve been keeping it a secret as they’re hard to come by but they’re here – if you spend over £100 you get them or £22 a tyre… that’s less than 1/2 price!

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Tyres++Tubes/Tyres++Tubes+MTB/Schwalbe+Tyres/Schwalbe+Tyre+Sale_NOBBY-NIC-SALE.htm

njee20
    Free Member

I still reckon that thick-ass grabby rimtape that you had on in the pic will be the biggest problem with tight tyres. Some proper yellow tape will be thinner and give a smoother transition from the channel of the rim up to the shoulders.
    Also, if you go then tubeless, putting on tyres with a tyre lever ceases to be a problem!

+1

And don’t get Fire XC Pros – they’re specifically mentioned as inappropriate due to their propensity to blow off the rim.

wisepranker
    Free Member

EDIT: and fit the tape properly– key the surface, degrease, and really damn tight! This may of course not fix the probs with these tyres, but at least the rims will be set up as they should be..

If you’re using the green Hope rimtape that you had fitted in the other thread, according to Hope themselves, it’s not suitable for running tubeless and you need to fit the yellow Stans tape. That’s what their technical bods told me anyhow!

As for fitting tyres, I’ve got two sets of Hope Hoops with Crest rims and they’re both running tubeless with Specialized tyres. The tyres virtually fell onto the rims and sealed straight away with no drama whatsoever.
    I’ve also ran a set of Schwalbe Rocket Rons on them and had absolutely no issues with them either!

tacopowell
    Free Member

OK, the Rocket Rons on the link that Rickon kindly shared, Are they Tubeless ready or designed for tubes?!

I wanted to start off with tubes as I’ve never tried tubeless and I didn’t wanna spend anymore money!
    I take it the idea with tubeless is your less prone to punctures? 😕

tacopowell
    Free Member

As far as the green tape goes, If I’m going tubed it seems insignificant to change it to the Stans tape?

jimification
    Free Member

And don’t get Fire XC Pros – they’re specifically mentioned as inappropriate due to their propensity to blow off the rim.

Njee20: He’s not going tubeless…

…..I was planning to use tubes…

but Yes, Fire XC’s would be too loose to run tubeless. They are really nice and easy with tubes though (even on Crests!)

nickf
    Free Member

(1) Buy UST rims

(2) Buy UST tyres

(3) Set aside ten minutes

(4) Squirt some sealant in the tyres (for thorn punctures and the like), fit to rim

(5) Inflate with a track pump

(6) Wonder what to do with the other seven minutes……

jimification
    Free Member

Tacopowell: If you are concerned about punctures with tubes you can always use the Panaracer kevlar strips (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-flataway-tyre-liner/) I have them on one of my bikes and I’m quite pleased with them so far. Adds about 35g per wheel.

tacopowell
    Free Member

(1) Buy UST rims

Step one already failed in buying crests, This I am truly gutted with

Tacopowell: If you are concerned about punctures with tubes you can always use the Panaracer kevlar strips (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/panaracer-flataway-tyre-liner/

Not worried about punctures with tubes, providing I can get the tyre on/off without using a hot bath, bottle of washing up liquid and 3 hours of my time!

I’ll keep the tape in mind if I find the right tyres If I stay with Tubes

simonm
    Free Member

Wire rim tyres tubless ????? Don;t think thats a great combo

Rubber Queens Folding on Stans crest no issue here. (non UST Tyres)

njee20
    Free Member

but Yes, Fire XC’s would be too loose to run tubeless. They are really nice and easy with tubes though (even on Crests!)

So he is, apologies. Still, as you have the rims, if you were buying new tyres I’d get some you could convert.

And fit yellow tape regardless. It’s a couple of quid, and it will make life easier.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Rubber Queens Folding on Stans crest no issue here. (non UST Tyres)

Really? I love my rubber queens, are you running them tubeless or with tubes?

thepurist

Re the OP – I fitted Ignitors (Exception 2.1s) & XR4 2.2s to yellow-taped Crests using just my bare hands. So either I have thumbs of steel or they go on pretty easy.

jimification
    Free Member

Njee: no worries, a tyre that could do both is a good idea.

Tacopowell: The Crests will be fine I’m sure (and there’s not much to touch them for the weight) You just need to find the right tyre is all. You can always try a selection via mail order and return them if they don’t fit well. CRC even have the paid return thing now so shouldn’t cost you anything.

the purist: that makes sense. A guy at JRA recommended me Maxxis tyres with Crests, said they very rarely have problems with that combo.

honourablegeorge

Tubeless ready nobby nics, non tubeless racing ralphs, both went on Crests with thumbs, and up tubeless with a track pump, zero hassle.

andywill

Bontrager XR4 fitted & inflated very easily & I really like the tyre as well 🙂

nicko74

It is very true that it’s down to the tyre for Crests. I have Bonty Jones ACXs; one of them fits relatively easily, although takes a bit of work to get the bead from centre channel to the beadlock; the other is b*stard tight.

All I can add is that Bontrager tyres should be good; Fire XC Pros really are loose on every rim I’ve ever used them on; don’t bother with UST tyres, and be prepared for Tubeless Ready ones to be painful.
    And washing up liquid helps.

simonm
    Free Member

Really? I love my rubber queens, are you running them tubeless or with tubes?

Running Normal Folding Rubber Queens Tubeless…took a lot of sealant though as it escapes through the side walls !

Great tyres.

mattjg
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X (more an all round mixed conditions tyre than the name suggests) went on easy tubeless. See my history I wrote it up last Oct or Nov.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

A bit late to the party I know – my RQs (folding) on Flows seated after a bit of effort – but even after a year still slow deflated every week.

Best for me – by a real long way – are TL (pacestar?) Schwalbes (RR & NN). Fit – stans – inflate – shake once – still perfect months later.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

folding conti race kings went on without any real hassle, just a bit of washing up liquid to get them to seat and a track pump. Know this is probably not quite the sort of tyre your looking for but think it would be the same for all folding conti tyres.
    Would say the wire beed is the sorce of the problem, I have had seriously brused thumbs in the past just trying to get wire beed tyres on to standard rims, so can imagine with the odd crest sizing it being hell!

pinches
    Free Member

i’ve always run schwalbes on my crests with tubes and tubeless with yellow tape and they’ve been perfect every time. Mostly Rocket Rons/Dirty Dans/Racing Ralphs

closetroadie
    Free Member

I run ordinary Mavic or Sun rims with inner tubes on whatever tyres I have. Ride in the Lakes a lot, havn’t had a puncture in years.
    Bit boring really…

marty
    Free Member

Had horrible problems getting Contis (for tubes) onto a Crests, changed rim tape to thinnest I could get and watched vids. Some Kenda SB8s fitted OK, but want to run X-Kings on these wheels. Operator Error – should have read up a bit more before ordering…

Crests coming off, Mavic XC717s going on. Seems a bit wasteful, but if I get a puncture in the arse end of beyond then Crests are a liability.

Anyone want a fairly new pair of 32h Crests? <100 miles.

tony24
    Free Member

Marty depending how much ill take the crest rims. How much you after email me @. Tony18@hotmail.co.uk

takisawa2

Lots of tyres here, on XC717’s & lately TN719’s on a clown wheeler. No problems, & includes ghetto tubeless with a few. Run tubes these days. Just can’t be rsed faffing about these days. Don’t ride very rocky terrain though, & prefer to run at 32psi plus. If I ever had a problem mounting a tyre I’d put some card on the floor, mount as much tyre as possible, then stand on the bit of unseated tyre & lever upwards with the opposite side of the rim. This stretched the tyre & they would pop on. As regards seating, pump to about 20psi & repeat the above all around the tyre, on both sides.

mattjg
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-tyres-stans-crest-spring-to-autumn-use-xcst-tubeless-about-22-23?replies=26#post-3586086

2.25 RoRos on my Crests OK, tubeless. Stayed inflated overnight, the acid test is a ride this evening.

cinnamon_girl

Hmmmm, tubeless Nobby Nics (2.1) are not staying on my newish Crests apparently at my lbs. Any other recommendations for a tubeless 2.1 Summer tyre please?

P20

I’ve had the best success with Nobby Nics on Stans Rims, (355’s and crests). We’ve also used conti gravities/verticals/slash, maxxis advantage, bonty mud x. If you are struggling to get them on, the pikey inflator works a treat.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘(What) Tyres onto ZTR Crests, Day 2 – A different approach’ is closed to new replies.