Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What Tow Bar mounted rack to fit this….?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ve read some fo the previous threads, but have to admit I’m not sure which ones fit on to a ball/swan neck or bolt on? So I’ve taken a photo of my tow bar that’s been fitted to my camper for years (looks like it’s about time I re-painted that!), never used it to tow so removed the ball years ago, but what rack will fit/bolt onto what you see here, ideally something that will bolt on securely and if it can fold up when not in use even better, I thought of the Thule 9502 but I think that needs a ball to fit on to, so anyone know which one’s bolt directly onto the bar? Looking for secure bolt on, wheel supported, tilting and fold-up when not in use would be good too?

Wiksey
    Free Member

The Aiston two bike rack that I’ve got uses that method of mounting
    [/url]
    It’s just that most people fit the mounting plate between the bit that you’ve got and the bit that you’ve junked.

If you’re going to get one though ring him up as he’s a bit “old school” on comunications.

Oh, the other thing is I don’t know how much clearance you’ll have between the ends of the first bike’s bars and the back window of your bus.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Wiksey, I did wonder about those one’s, but there website isn’t very clear on fitting and no zoom in or detailed images, also wondering how those hooks on the upright bars adjust to fit toptubes and they look a bit narrow too, you find them ok? Handlebars won’t be a problem as I can quickly undo the stem and turn the bars.

snakebite, looking around the only one’s I seem to find to fit my towbar are those type but you hang the bikes on those and I’d prefer to have the wheel suppoert type.

I’ve seen some that tilt right back which could be good, but they all look like tow ball fitting, so I might just get a bolt on ball, but not sure I like the idea of bolting a couple of £k’s bikes to a ball?

joeegg
    Free Member

I have a Thule which has a bracket that bolts on permanently through the bolt holes and then the rack sits into it and you tighten it up by hand.
    It tilts so you can open up the rear door and it can be padlocked on.
    It is the slide on type for the bikes as i can’t see any advantage for the wheel supported ones and it can fold down the arms when not in use.Really well made and secure.

h4muf
    Free Member

Nice bay 🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

Bolted onto the ball seems safe enough to me, done numerous trips with 3 or 4 bikes on totalling probably upto £10k….

steveh

Aiston rack clamps work with everything I’ve ever tried them with, they’re a tapered design so clamp everything without problem and are super solid. The website is basic but I’ve had pendle, thule and now aiston and wouldn’t consider using either of the other 2 again.

Wiksey
    Free Member

Kojaklollipop – Don’t worry about the strength of the Aiston rack. The loop that goes over the top tube looks small on the pics as the rest of the rack is made out of box section steel but that loop is solid bar. It takes seconds to mount each bike, just sit the wheels in the d-loops loosen top tube hook, slide into position, tighten bolt then get in and drive away.
    I’m in the process of swapping cars so can take some pics of the bits (rack and mounting plate) and email them through to you if you want? Only thing is mine has been very abused so looks a bit tatty after three year of use – still works fine though, which is more than can be said for the Thule that I had before.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

This Witter one will work perfectly.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270616473579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2571wt_1139%5D

The base plate will bolt to your mount, and the arm comes off in about two seconds when you have finished with it.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yeah, I guess bolt on to the ball is fine otherwise they wouldn’t make them, just seem odd how something so big with heavy bikes on it doesn’t rotate around the ball?

Really prefer a wheel support one, I’d worry about the bikes bashing into each other on a hanging one and having sloping top tubes the bike would hang at funny angles, and I’d still need to get a lighting board as the bikes would obsure number plate and lights.

Wiksey, if you could do some photos and email them or post up here I’d appreciate it.

Couple of pics of the old girl for those interested, I’ve been cleaning it today, long overdue, and a pic of what’s in the back! 😀

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Mmm, looks like I could do with a bit of a wiring tidy up in there too!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What Tow Bar mounted rack to fit this….?’ is closed to new replies.